• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Non-Enforcement of 1000-foot Limit

Flyer22

I meant to post this earlier, but I forgot.

http://www.gazette.com/articles/police-101152-arrested-handgun.html
Man with handgun arrested in Acacia Park
Comments 29 | Recommend 1
July 03, 2010 4:44 PM
JAKOB RODGERS
THE GAZETTE
A man with a handgun and several suspicious-looking tools was arrested Friday in Acacia Park, police said.

Alejandro Cardona, 35, was arrested on suspicion of unlawfully carrying a concealed weapon after police said they first noticed the man acting suspiciously about 3:40 p.m.

When walking up to the man, police said they noticed several tools hanging out of his pants pocket that are believed to be useful for breaking into a building. Police said they later found a .25-caliber handgun when patting him down.

Cardona is in the El Paso County Criminal Justice Center on a hold by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

Read more: http://www.gazette.com/articles/police-101152-arrested-handgun.html#ixzz0t6jLLtfY

And from the police blotter:
CSPD Motor Impact Team contacted a suspicious party in Acacia Park on 07/02/2010 at 1540 hours. The male was identified later as ALEJANDRO CARDONA, DOB: 11/19/74, A Mexican National. Several items of suspected burglary tools were visible in Cardona’s back right pants pocket. During a pat-down, a Raven Arms .25 auto was recovered from Cardona’s right front pants pocket where it had been concealed under jacket. This occurred within 100 feet of approximately 25 young kids at Uncle Wilber’s Fountain. Cardona was booked for Unlawfully Carrying a Concealed Weapon and placed on an ICE hold pending federal charges by the U.S. Attorney’s Office.

Notice that he was NOT charged with carrying within the 1000-foot limit. I think that this pretty much settles the question, at least for El Paso County, of what the police will do. So if you get pulled over for a traffic violation within a school zone while carrying, you should be fine.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Alejandro Cardona, 35, was arrested on suspicion of unlawfully carrying a concealed weapon after police said they first noticed the man acting suspiciously about 3:40 p.m.

Cardona is in the El Paso County Criminal Justice Center on a hold by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

This occurred within 100 feet of approximately 25 young kids at Uncle Wilber’s Fountain. Cardona was booked for Unlawfully Carrying a Concealed Weapon and placed on an ICE hold pending federal charges by the U.S. Attorney’s Office.

Notice that he was NOT charged with carrying within the 1000-foot limit.

Wilbur's Fountain isn't a school. It's a fountain (water fountain).

I think that this pretty much settles the question, at least for El Paso County, of what the police will do. So if you get pulled over for a traffic violation within a school zone while carrying, you should be fine.

Even if Wilbur's Fountain is within a school zone, I'd still conclude yours is a bad assumption, particularly given the nature of the charges levied against him, as well as his status as an illegal alien. Furthermore, local law enforcement doesn't charge people for violating federal crimes, hence his status as "placed on an ICE hold pending federal charges by the U.S. Attorney’s Office."

Finally, he may be tried and sentenced here, or simply deported once U.S. and Mexican Attorney's offices can agree on the arrangements. Criminals who cross borders between two friendly nations are often deported upon committing a crime, depending on the nature of the crime. In his case, he'd not comitted a burglery or hostile act, so in all liklihood, after being charged from all sides in order to gain more leverage with their Mexican counterparts, he'll simply be deported to face the music there.