• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

In self-defense -- The Quiz

Dave Workman

This is not a joke – using force against another person, especially to the lethal level, is no laughing matter – and the “prize” for getting right answers is a better understanding of the concept of self-defense and not running afoul of the law. Each person who makes the conscious choice of arming one’s self in anticipation of a moment they hope will never come takes on a responsibility of far greater import than nearly every other thing they ever do. It is akin to swearing an oath, not only to defend one’s self but to exercise the self-control to not act in haste.

http://www.examiner.com/x-4525-Seattle-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2010m7d8-In-selfdefense--The-Quiz

Or try this:

http://tinyurl.com/2g75csm

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
HUH? Wha? Who moved the breadcrumb trail?

This is not a joke – using force against another person, especially to the lethal level, is no laughing matter – and the “prize” for getting right answers is a better understanding of the concept of self-defense and not running afoul of the law. Each person who makes the conscious choice of arming one’s self in anticipation of a moment they hope will never come takes on a responsibility of far greater import than nearly every other thing they ever do. It is akin to swearing an oath, not only to defend one’s self but to exercise the self-control to not act in haste.

http://www.examiner.com/x-4525-Seattle-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2010m7d8-In-selfdefense--The-Quiz

Or try this:

http://tinyurl.com/2g75csm

Dave,

Seriously, what the heck is the relavancy, let alone the point, of putting this under General Discussion? Being from a state that is NOT Washington State, and having no plans or desire to travel to Washington State, I have no need or desire to know anything of or about the laws of Washington State - relating to OC, CC, or anything else.

Further, what was/is the point of the series of questions? What, if anything. would I obtain for my personal betterment by bothering to look up the info needed to answer the questions? How would I be a better person, let alone a better person who OCs in a state that is NOT Washington State?

I have at times been accused of taking the very long way around a question i order to cover not only the immediate issue but also the background and the general policy issues as a way of answering a question. But at least my trail is clear and easy to follow, and I put clues out there for folks who want to skip ahead to the "Yes, No, the square root of the factorial of negative eleventeen" actual answer to the question. I am afraid I cannot say that for your article.

Could/would you take another whack at it for those of us who prefer our opinion pieces/educational lectures to be linear and concrete?

Thanks.

stay safe.

Dreamer

Speaking of MD and "good cause", I recently spoke to the MD delegate who sponsored HB-52 (the CC reciprocity bill that was stalled in committee earlier this year) and he told me an interesting bit of info about that...

He is also an attorney in MD, and has had a private practice for over a decade. He has also had a MD carry permit for just about as long. His renewal came up this month, and MSP sent him a letter saying they needed him to send them documentation that he actually owned a business, as "good cause"...

Here is a lawyer, who is MD Bar certified, and has a registered law firm in MD, and a MD business license, and the MSP can't figure out that he actually has a business?

Sounds more like harassment for his political positions to me (and to him as well).

His response was to get his lawyer to draw up a letter stating he already had been approved several times in the past for a MD permit, and the fact that he was a law-abiding citizen was "good cause". The letter stated that if this was not considered good enough "good cause", the next correspondence they would see from him would be notice of a lawsuit against the MSP and the MD AG under Federal Civil rights violations, and for 2A and 14A (due process) violations. He has already drafted the motion, and has them sitting in an envelope on his desk, ready to file.

Things might just get interesting in MD this fall...