• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open-Carry in Your Financial Institution

CUOfficer

So I subscribe to an email list from the Credit Union National Association (CUNA) at work (I do compliance for a credit union). Today I get a barrage of emails originating from Parker Community Credit Union in Janesville. Apparently they had someone ask about their open-carry policy. I assume that person is probably on this forum. This has created quite a buzz from people all over the country and most seem to support the idea. As a result, I am wondering what, if any, contact you have had with financial institutions when carrying?

protias

I carry at Landmark in Waukesha and Sussex. Last time I was back home, I had to open a new account and was carrying (Sussex). I had to wait a little while as the lady was helping someone else. I had no issue and nothing was said by anyone.

comp45acp

I carry at the Bank of Lake Mills. So far no issues. Of all the places I carry (everywhere) it is the only place that makes me at all nervous. I keep imagining some new teller hitting the silent alarm and then I walk out to a MP-5 greeting by the Jefferson County SWAT team.

Brendon .45

Peoples' Republic of Madison, Wisconsin, USA
M&I is a no-go

I banked at M&I for the last 15 years, until they put up their policy on the door - no guns, hats or sunglasses. I inquired with the branch manager and was told it was for my own safety because they didn't want an "O.K. Corral" in there, she used that exact phrase.

I have since moved ALL my accounts over to UW Credit Union, and get better rates to boot! I have yet to OC in there; I also fear the meet and greet with Madison SWAT. I have gone in 'empty holster' and don't think anyone noticed/cared.

Cobra469

I open carry in Chase bank on Morgan and 76th, West Allis all the time. I even had a gentleman very loudly say "nice gun" and then we went into an OC discussion right in front of their manager. I continued to discuss a few things with my business banker and nobody complained at all. Since then I half expected them to complain to me during a future visit but so far they don't seem to care.

M

McX

didn't want an "O.K. Corral" in there,

what?! they didn't want any loose horses or cows in there?

smithman

I OC at my Chase bank on Sunset and St. Paul in Waukesha. I have had zero problems whatsoever. All but one of the bankers have seen me carry, and several of the tellers have also taken notice. I am sure that everybody in the bank has heard about it at some point just because it is not that common yet.

My hope is that more people feel empowered to carry at their bank. Banks are targets for armed thugs because, you guessed it, they have lots of $. And many times they rob the bank while armed.

MKEgal

I OC in Landmark CU in various places around Milwaukee, as well as up in the Germantown branch.
No problems, no strange looks, no greetings by SWAT teams as I leave... all very civilized.

hardballer

I OC in Landmark CU in various places around Milwaukee, as well as up in the Germantown branch.
No problems, no strange looks, no greetings by SWAT teams as I leave... all very civilized.

OC'd in Alliance Bank of Cochrane a couple of times so far and Citizens State Bank La Crosse. In neither case was I overly scrutinized. I did leave some WCI pamphlets with the Alliance Bank. A couple of the female loan officers were interested. The more we do this, the more acceptable it will become.

Teamtnt2004

So I subscribe to an email list from the Credit Union National Association (CUNA) at work (I do compliance for a credit union). Today I get a barrage of emails originating from Parker Community Credit Union in Janesville. Apparently they had someone ask about their open-carry policy. I assume that person is probably on this forum. This has created quite a buzz from people all over the country and most seem to support the idea. As a result, I am wondering what, if any, contact you have had with financial institutions when carrying?

Ok didn't see that coming. The person who did that was me. Now before everyone bombards me with, "why did you even ask", I asked because I go in there all the time, with just my holster. The reason being, just going in there with my holster gets me a lot of looks. There's one teller that really eyeballs me. And that's fine. It has just made me nervous about carrying into my bank. Although really this is the one place that makes sense. With this being my bank I just sent them a request to find out if or what their policy was before I walked in there and had someone hit an alarm. Although I feel like they know me well enough. I'm a pretty distinctive person. 6'4" tattoos on my arms, bald head. I'm sure they know me at least by site. So, yes, it was me. Why they just didn't send me an email letting me know what their policy was I don't know. Why they contacted you I don't know. I just felt if I could get something in writing from them saying it was o.k. I'd feel better about carrying in there. If they say no, that's fine, I'll take my banking somewhere else. I would guess you cannot post these emails? Just out of curiosity?

Last edited:

Interceptor_Knight

I banked at M&I for the last 15 years, until they put up their policy on the door - no guns, hats or sunglasses. .
M&I is participating in the "voluntary" program. It is intended to be a request and not a mandate. Here is a quote from Nick Bauer who is the president/CEO of the Wisconsin Bankers Association.
People that refuse will still be served, said Bauer, but “everyone in the bank will be watching them more closely.”
Original Press Release
The problem is that like every other policy, firearms will be handled differently and you will likely be cited if the Police are called because you ignored the posted request. They will treat it like a clear ban of all firearms.

Attachments

• Scan004.jpg
    Scan004.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 104

AdamXD

M&I's new policy is not just for it's Wisconsin branches. I banked at M&I back down in AZ (both Tucson and Sedona) and they have had those signs up for as long as I can remember. Even before "Public Enemies" came out.

And if the "No hats, sunglasses, hoods and firearms" policy is just more of a guideline like previously quoted, then calling the police on a member of your business who chooses to protect themselves as well as the people around him/her should be an offense met with immediate termination. Banks are some of the most dangerous places of business to enter.

Such counter-intuitive rules... :facepalm

CUOfficer

Ok didn't see that coming. The person who did that was me. Now before everyone bombards me with, "why did you even ask", I asked because I go in there all the time, with just my holster. The reason being, just going in there with my holster gets me a lot of looks. There's one teller that really eyeballs me. And that's fine. It has just made me nervous about carrying into my bank. Although really this is the one place that makes sense. With this being my bank I just sent them a request to find out if or what their policy was before I walked in there and had someone hit an alarm. Although I feel like they know me well enough. I'm a pretty distinctive person. 6'4" tattoos on my arms, bald head. I'm sure they know me at least by site. So, yes, it was me. Why they just didn't send me an email letting me know what their policy was I don't know. Why they contacted you I don't know. I just felt if I could get something in writing from them saying it was o.k. I'd feel better about carrying in there. If they say no, that's fine, I'll take my banking somewhere else. I would guess you cannot post these emails? Just out of curiosity?

I wasn't chastising you for asking. The gal who sent the email out (it's a national email list) was just wondering how other credit unions handle open carry. I sent her a very nice email explaining the positives of open-carry and why they should allow it. I also explained that I open-carry from time to time and that she could contact me with any questions she may have. Normally, people who open-carry know the laws better than LEO, so she shouldn't be alarmed. I look at this as a win because it is definetly becoming more mainstream to see and the responses from most people were positive ones. So thanks to you for getting the ball rolling!!!!

Spartacus

Banned
I use Wells Fargo which has branches in some of the local Quillin's grocery stores and have never had a problem. The tellers were curious at first and are now quite used to seeing me armed.

logan

Campaign Veteran
I should probably switch banks...I go to M&I currently. Only went there because my fiance and I both got $100 for creating new accounts. Maybe if another bank has that offer we'll switch.

CUOfficer

Spartacus-Just heard that Wells Fargo in Onalaska is shutting their doors! Try a credit union people, better rates and service. I am glad to see that most financials don't have a problem with open-carry.

Teamtnt2004

I wasn't chastising you for asking. The gal who sent the email out (it's a national email list) was just wondering how other credit unions handle open carry. I sent her a very nice email explaining the positives of open-carry and why they should allow it. I also explained that I open-carry from time to time and that she could contact me with any questions she may have. Normally, people who open-carry know the laws better than LEO, so she shouldn't be alarmed. I look at this as a win because it is definetly becoming more mainstream to see and the responses from most people were positive ones. So thanks to you for getting the ball rolling!!!!

Ok awesome! I didn't mean to imply that you were chastising me. Just figured someone would post something about why did you even ask. Well I guess in the long run if it sparked some conversation, especially with a lot of it being positive it's a good thing. Thanks for your personal support when talking to others!! Anything from PCCU? I haven't heard a thing.

CUOfficer

Ok awesome! I didn't mean to imply that you were chastising me. Just figured someone would post something about why did you even ask. Well I guess in the long run if it sparked some conversation, especially with a lot of it being positive it's a good thing. Thanks for your personal support when talking to others!! Anything from PCCU? I haven't heard a thing.

She just said that she would take the information to her President and he/she would make the decision. I explained the reasons for allowing people to carry. I also told her that if they choose to ban it they may lose members, need to post signs at entrances, and it could stir up a protest or questions as to why LEOs could carry there.