• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Best Rigs when Cycling?

Forty-five

I have been using a paddle holster with cargo shorts, but intend to switch to bike shorts shortly. Anyway, I was soliciting input on rigs when cycling to see what others have come up with. Btw, I do road biking as opposed to mountain biking.

Michigander

More information would be helpful. Such as

-concealed, open carry, or both
-baggy shorts or tight fitting lycra
-type and size of handgun
-retention level desired
-price range, if that's a factor
-where on your body do you want it

As a side note, I've mounted non firearm weapons to my backpack on bike tours, and this is one option that many folks overlook.

Michigander

i would reccomend a shoulder holster of some sort, doesnt attatch to any article of clothing so.........i've used them and had good results. :)

Depending on how fast someone is trying to go, a shoulder holster could feel quite awful on a road bike ride. The sweat pouring off onto the rig and gun could also be an issue.

Forty-five

It would be the tight fitting shorts (spandex/lycra or such), tight shirt, cycling shoes. Pretty much going for speed now. Have been OCing a 4.25" 1911 w/paddle. Would prefer to continue carrying 1911, but have other options. I have a feeling that the paddle won't be to comfortable with those thin shorts, but I'll have to see when they arrive. It's about 100 degrees today, so i'm sweating big time. Other than during riding, I have experience with shoulder rigs, ankle rigs, IWB, paddle, pancake, etc., but was just wondering what other cyclists were doing.

daddy4count

Get a belly-band rig, shoulder holster or something that mounts low on your thigh...

I would try to keep it off your waist unless it is in a neoprene band, held tight against your body. Galco and DiSantis both make a belly-band style rig that would probably work well. I'm pretty sure you can get either for around $30.

Shoulder rig would be good, just make sure it fits tight and does not require anchors (since you probably aren't wearing a belt with your lycra shorts)

Fanny pack might work...

The thigh rig may be uncomfortable to peddle while wearing?

Yeah, I'd stick with a belly band...

Michigander

I have a strong doubt that a paddle will stay in place with Lycra. A 1911 weighs something in the neighborhood of 30-45 ounces loaded up. Lycra is intended to be flexible and comfortable, NOT to hold weight.

I suggest that you get a standalone gun belt, and use whatever belt holster you prefer, but be sure it can retain it in case of a crash. If you are particularly skinny, this will quite possibly lead to the belt riding up your waist, potentially being uncomfortable and making draws difficult, especially if the belt is sitting on the fabric as opposed to bare skin. A cure for this is to carry cross draw, and as Sonora Rebel calls it "slap leather" with your weak side as you draw. How rigid the belt is, how snug it is, and how you are shaped will all be important factors to consider in making a rig work for you. It has to be just right, because cycling, especially fast, is obviously an involved and demanding task with a lot of different motions that a rig has to work with.

Testing this should be easy, just take belt holster, or even a paddle hooked to a belt, belt it up around your waist, and go for a ride. I have been doing this for several years, and I am happy with it.

Last edited:

Jay Gatz

Who says the holster has to be one you? Is there any reason not to make/buy a holster setup that could attach to your bike frame? Assuming you don't leave your bike while on a cycling trip that seems like the option that would be most comfortable for you.

impulse

s7_523723_imageset_01

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...abelas/en/common/search/search-box.jsp.form23

heliopolissolutions

Fanny packs are good, mostly when spun round to your fanny. I know what your thinking..."but this is an OPEN CARRY forum you numbskull!"

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&...=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=1138&bih=534

Check it, now even open carriers can look profoundly unfashionable.

Other options include mounting options for the frame of your bike, upper arm (for compact pistols) rig, "mexican carry" if you can manage a belt in there, and of course shoulder sling if you are carrying a rifle, shotgun or appropriate rig for a slung pistol.

But I think we all know what you want.
http://bikehugger.com/images/blog/sniper_bike.jpg