Thread: Will be in Sisters next week...

Cool Will be in Sisters next week...

Howdy all...

I will be visiting my parents in Sisters (their home is just outside, Squaw Creek Canyon) next week. From the 14th through the 17th roughly. Probably just riding 4 wheelers and doing some shooting in the desert. I am sure a couple of trips into town will be in order and maybe a trip to Bend....

I will OC the entire time (I have a CHL) so no worries....

Anyone in the Sisters area?

Live Free or Die!

I've OC'd in Sisters a few times during the height of tourist infiltration.

I wouldn't expect much by way of a reaction....I haven't had one yet.

Question One clarification...

it is my understanding that there is no loaded carry on an ATV, even with a CHL. Is that correct?
    Live Free or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by gogodawgs View Post
    it is my understanding that there is no loaded carry on an ATV, even with a CHL. Is that correct?

http://www.oregonfirearms.org/faq/

"Hello,
    I read in the hunting regulations manual (the one they give out at Bi-Mart) that carrying a loaded firearm while riding an ATV was illegal, I'm sorry I didn't remember the law quoted, I could get it if you want.

What's the deal on this? I have a CHL, am I exempt?

Some people put ATV permits on there car / truck / SUV, I'm thinking that it would then be illegal to carry a loaded weapon in the vehicle?

Thanks.
    Ben.

It is illegal to carry a loaded gun (long gun or handgun) on an atv or a snowmobile. CHL holders ARE NOT exempt. If you are carrying a bow, all arrows must be in a quiver.
    We attempted to deal with this in the 2005 session, but the Senate refused to hear the bill that the House passed.

See here: (The 11th bill down) or here::
    It is a Class B traffic infraction. It would NOT apply to your regular motor vehicle."

Exclamation My question is then, how do I carry on the ATV?

Can I leave the pistol on my side in the holster and remove the mag and round from the chamber and put the mag in my pocket? Or does it have to be cased?
    Does anyone have the text of the ORS?

I am traveling and it is hard to find right now.

Quote Originally Posted by carracer View Post
    http://www.oregonfirearms.org/faq/

"Hello,
    I read in the hunting regulations manual (the one they give out at Bi-Mart) that carrying a loaded firearm while riding an ATV was illegal, I'm sorry I didn't remember the law quoted, I could get it if you want.

What's the deal on this? I have a CHL, am I exempt?

Some people put ATV permits on there car / truck / SUV, I'm thinking that it would then be illegal to carry a loaded weapon in the vehicle?

Thanks.
    Ben.

It is illegal to carry a loaded gun (long gun or handgun) on an atv or a snowmobile. CHL holders ARE NOT exempt. If you are carrying a bow, all arrows must be in a quiver.
    We attempted to deal with this in the 2005 session, but the Senate refused to hear the bill that the House passed.

See here: (The 11th bill down) or here::
    It is a Class B traffic infraction. It would NOT apply to your regular motor vehicle."
    Live Free or Die!

Here is what I could find on https://www.oregonlaws.org/ I do not see an exemption for CHL holders, but that probably needs to be looked into further if it is not a hunting rifle or pistol and just a carry gun.

Operating snowmobile or all-terrain vehicle while carrying firearm or bow

* penalty

(1) A person commits the offense of operating a snowmobile or an all-terrain vehicle while carrying a firearm or bow if the person operates any snowmobile or all-terrain vehicle with a firearm in the possession of the person, unless the firearm is unloaded, or with a bow, unless all arrows are in a quiver.

(2) The offense described in this section, operating a snowmobile or an all-terrain vehicle while carrying a firearm or bow, is a Class B traffic violation. [1983 c.338 729; 1985 c.393 45; 1985 c.459 31a; 1987 c.587 14; 1989 c.991 15a; 1991 c.589 1]