• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Not open carry concealed question for fl

kanikougar

Hello guys I did some research and found out my va concealed weapon permit is good in fl.

However I'm not going to be a va citizen anymore as I am moving to fl once I get a FL drivers license etc now I'll be a fl resident. Can I still use my VA permit before I get a chance to upgrade to Fl concealed permit. Thanks in advance for any info

JeepSeller

The problem for you is..according to handgunlaw.us http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/florida.pdf

Florida does not honor what they deem "Non-Resident" permits. Meaning, once you establish official residency in Florida, you are no longer a resident of Virginia, making your permit a "Non-Resident" one. Florida honors your permit, along with many, however, they require you to be a resident of the state of issue. Meaning, that once you become a FL resident, your Virginia permit is no good here anymore.

I suggest, if you have the time before you move, that you apply for a Florida CWFL (concealed weapons and firearms license) now. It's fairly easy. Just go to this website,

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/index.html

and follow the links to request an application. A copy of your Virginia permit, I believe, will suffice for proof of training and you'll just have to have your local PD or Sheriff office do your finger prints, then, all you do is stuff everything in the envelope provided, along with your check, and send it in (HIGHLY recommend registered return receipt mail). You should have your license in a couple months or so, and could be as early as a few weeks. Reported time lines seem to be varying right now.

If you don't have the time, call the DOACS' nearest regional office to where you'll be moving NOW and schedule an appointment date after you get here. They handle everything. All you need to take with you is your proof of training and your checkbook. You'll have your license within a few weeks.

You should be able to find a regional office near where you're moving here....
http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/staff/regions.html

Good luck and safe travels.

TrkJky

Isn't there a time period for getting things traded out?? I know when you move you have 30 days to register your car, etc. Not sure about fire arm permits but that would be the logical thing I would think.

Vector

I got mine with a 3 week turn around a little more than a month ago. It wont take long.

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
Fla. Stat. § 790.015

Florida does provide a 90-day exception to its resident-license-only reciprocity restriction for new Florida residents. Fla. Stat. § 790.015(3) provides:
If the resident of another state who is the holder of a valid license to carry a concealed weapon or concealed firearm issued in another state establishes legal residence in this state by registering to vote, or making a statement of domicile pursuant to s. 222.17, or filing for homestead tax exemption on property in this state, the license shall remain in effect for 90 days following the date on which the holder of the license establishes legal state residence. This section applies only to nonresident concealed weapon or concealed firearm licenseholders from states that honor Florida concealed weapon or concealed firearm licenses.