• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Vacation questions

wolfman90

Planning a vacation, I have a Indiana liceince to carry a handgun and I was wondering if I could open carry in MO on it. Thanks for any info.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Missouri does not yet have a preemption for open carry.

This means county and cities can ban it at their own choice.

There are four basic types of restriction.

1 None allowed at all
2 allowed with owners written permission
3 allowed with a ccw (Missouri accepts all states so indy is all good)
4 allowed, no conditions.

The problem is, you don't know where and what is legal on one side of the street is not legal on the other side of the street, LITERALLY.

I would highly recommend you consider CCW unless you want to pan out your entire trip and not deviate as you will have to check all the codes for the cities you will visit.

It is not common at all in the urban areas and the odds of you being approached by an officer who is not up to speed with it being legal are very high. in the more rural parts of the state, most folks are not going to take much notice.

sohighlyunlikely

list

In Missouri you do not need a permit to open carry but there are certain cities and towns where OC is not permitted but i think inthose towns if u carry it concealed you might be ok with ur Indiana CCW. im not sure on that tho. here is a list of towns where you can open carry: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?59958-Missouri-Open-Carry-City-Chart

That list has some incorrect entries. I have corresponded to ComSec about it and he said "I am no longer updating or editing it"

Doc