Thread: Vacation questions

Vacation questions

I am planning a vacation to MI and I was wondering if I could open carry with an Indiana License to carry a handgun(LTCH) permit? Thanks for any info.

Yes you can.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

One of our members, zigziggityzoo, made this handy chart for OPEN CARRY in Michigan. Since you have a LTCH, legally you are treated the same as a CPL holder:

http://web.me.com/joshtish/Offlimits_Back.pdf

Enjoy your vacation!
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by DrTodd View Post
    One of our members, zigziggityzoo, made this handy chart for OPEN CARRY in Michigan. Since you have a LTCH, legally you are treated the same as a CPL holder:

http://web.me.com/joshtish/Offlimits_Back.pdf

Enjoy your vacation!
    How about the FRONT PAGE?

http://web.me.com/joshtish/Offlimits_Front.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by PDinDetroit View Post
    Since the LTCH would be treated as a CPL in Michigan, the side of the card pertaining to Open Carry without a CPL would not pertain to the poster.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Wait, wait, wait

I thought you could only open carry a pistol that was registered in Michigan?

Then I thought you could only open carry in the PFZ's if you were "licensed by the State of Michigan to carry a handgun"
    Last edited by RandyK; 07-11-2010 at 12:46 PM.

Regular Member American Boy With a Gun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyK View Post
    Wait, wait, wait

I thought you could only open carry a pistol that was registered in Michigan?

Then I thought you could only open carry in the PFZ's if you were "licensed by the State of Michigan to carry a handgun"

This was also my understanding.
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." -- Samuel Adams, 1776

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject

See the line that I put in BOLD.

750.234d Possession of firearm on certain premises prohibited; applicability; violation as misdemeanor; penalty.
    Sec. 234d.

(1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of any of the following:

(a) A depository financial institution or a subsidiary or affiliate of a depository financial institution.

(b) A church or other house of religious worship.

(c) A court.

(d) A theatre.

(e) A sports arena.

(f) A day care center.

(g) A hospital.

(h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act, Act No. 8 of the Public Acts of the Extra Session of 1933, being sections 436.1 to 436.58 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.

(2) This section does not apply to any of the following:

(a) A person who owns, or is employed by or contracted by, an entity described in subsection (1) if the possession of that firearm is to provide security services for that entity.

(b) A peace officer.

(c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.

(d) A person who possesses a firearm on the premises of an entity described in subsection (1) if that possession is with the permission of the owner or an agent of the owner of that entity.

(3) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days or a fine of not more than $100.00, or both.
    "You'll be walking along.. OC.. and you'll feel GREAT. You'll feel FREEEEE like 1776 kind of Free." -cscitney87

In regards to OPEN CARRY, you can carry anywhere except the places listed on the back of the card. You still have to follow Michigan's CC laws.
    "You'll be walking along.. OC.. and you'll feel GREAT. You'll feel FREEEEE like 1776 kind of Free." -cscitney87

I had forgot that it said this state or another. Thanks for the clearing that up.

If your from out of state you can open or conceal carry here only if you have a "cpl" from another state?(if that state has reciprocity)
    Last edited by RandyK; 07-11-2010 at 01:22 PM.

No. Two sections cover the law regarding non-residents who wish to possess pistols in Michigan.
    One section, the Janet Kukuk Act, was mentioned above. Additionally, MCL 28.422 (Pistol Registration) allows those with a license to purchase, carry, possess, or transport from their state of residence to possess (OC) a pistol in Michigan. This exception does not require that the license be a concealed carry license. For example, an Illinois resident who has a FOID card could possess (open carry) a pistol in Michigan.

MCL 28.422, in pertinent part, states:

(7) This section does not apply to the purchase of pistols from wholesalers by dealers regularly engaged in the business of selling pistols at retail, or to the sale, barter, or exchange of pistols kept as relics or curios not made for modern ammunition or permanently deactivated. This section does not prevent the transfer of ownership of pistols that are inherited if the license to purchase is approved by the commissioner or chief of police, sheriff, or their authorized deputies, and signed by the personal representative of the estate or by the next of kin having authority to dispose of the pistol.

(8) An individual who is not a resident of this state is not required to obtain a license under this section if all of the following conditions apply:

(a) The individual is licensed in his or her state of residence to purchase, carry, or transport a pistol.

(b) The individual is in possession of the license described in subdivision (a).

(c) The individual is the owner of the pistol he or she possesses, carries, or transports.

(d) The individual possesses the pistol for a lawful purpose as that term is defined in section 231a of the Michigan penal code, 1931 PA 328, MCL 750.231a.

(e) The individual is in this state for a period of 180 days or less and does not intend to establish residency in this state.

(9) An individual who is a nonresident of this state shall present the license described in subsection (8)(a) upon the demand of a police officer. An individual who violates this subsection is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days or a fine of not more than $100.00, or both.

"This exception does not require that the license be a concealed carry license. For example, an Illinois resident who has a FOID card could possess (open carry) a pistol in Michigan."

What about states that dont have any kind of "license"?

Did some more reading and deleted the second part of this post. The first one still applys.
    Last edited by RandyK; 07-11-2010 at 02:24 PM.

IF and I mean IF Indiana and Michigan has a reciprocity law agreement then you can carry BUT there are no assumptions that you may carry in pistol free zones. My opinion of course. I would challenge any pistol free zones open or closed carry. There is a question about citizenship of Michigan here and whether you would be granted defacto citizenship.

I hope I was clear and not confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfman90 View Post
    I am planning a vacation to MI and I was wondering if I could open carry with an Indiana License to carry a handgun(LTCH) permit? Thanks for any info.
    Exo 22:2 "If anyone catches a thief breaking in and hits him so that he dies, he is not guilty of murder.
    Luke 22:36: "Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luk 11:21 "When a strong man, with all his weapons ready, guards his own house, all his belongings are safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Bailenforcer View Post
    IF and I mean IF Indiana and Michigan has a reciprocity law agreement then you can carry BUT there are no assumptions that you may carry in pistol free zones. My opinion of course. I would challenge any pistol free zones open or closed carry. There is a question about citizenship of Michigan here and whether you would be granted defacto citizenship.

I hope I was clear and not confusing.
    Michigan only writes reciprocity agreements w/ states that need them according to THEIR laws, as Michigan accepts all other states' Concealed Carry Licenses. Since Indiana recognizes all states' CC permits, you will not find a "reciprocity agreement" between IN and MI... as none is needed.