• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Vacation questions

wolfman90

I am planning a vacation to MI and I was wondering if I could open carry with an Indiana License to carry a handgun(LTCH) permit? Thanks for any info.

RandyK

Wait, wait, wait

I thought you could only open carry a pistol that was registered in Michigan?

Then I thought you could only open carry in the PFZ's if you were "licensed by the State of Michigan to carry a handgun"

Last edited:

EM87

See the line that I put in BOLD.

750.234d Possession of firearm on certain premises prohibited; applicability; violation as misdemeanor; penalty.
Sec. 234d.

(1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of any of the following:

(a) A depository financial institution or a subsidiary or affiliate of a depository financial institution.

(b) A church or other house of religious worship.

(c) A court.

(d) A theatre.

(e) A sports arena.

(f) A day care center.

(g) A hospital.

(h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act, Act No. 8 of the Public Acts of the Extra Session of 1933, being sections 436.1 to 436.58 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.

(2) This section does not apply to any of the following:

(a) A person who owns, or is employed by or contracted by, an entity described in subsection (1) if the possession of that firearm is to provide security services for that entity.

(b) A peace officer.

(c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.

(d) A person who possesses a firearm on the premises of an entity described in subsection (1) if that possession is with the permission of the owner or an agent of the owner of that entity.

(3) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days or a fine of not more than $100.00, or both.

EM87

In regards to OPEN CARRY, you can carry anywhere except the places listed on the back of the card. You still have to follow Michigan's CC laws.

RandyK

I had forgot that it said this state or another. Thanks for the clearing that up.

If your from out of state you can open or conceal carry here only if you have a "cpl" from another state?(if that state has reciprocity)

Last edited:

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
No. Two sections cover the law regarding non-residents who wish to possess pistols in Michigan.
One section, the Janet Kukuk Act, was mentioned above. Additionally, MCL 28.422 (Pistol Registration) allows those with a license to purchase, carry, possess, or transport from their state of residence to possess (OC) a pistol in Michigan. This exception does not require that the license be a concealed carry license. For example, an Illinois resident who has a FOID card could possess (open carry) a pistol in Michigan.

MCL 28.422, in pertinent part, states:

(7) This section does not apply to the purchase of pistols from wholesalers by dealers regularly engaged in the business of selling pistols at retail, or to the sale, barter, or exchange of pistols kept as relics or curios not made for modern ammunition or permanently deactivated. This section does not prevent the transfer of ownership of pistols that are inherited if the license to purchase is approved by the commissioner or chief of police, sheriff, or their authorized deputies, and signed by the personal representative of the estate or by the next of kin having authority to dispose of the pistol.

(8) An individual who is not a resident of this state is not required to obtain a license under this section if all of the following conditions apply:

(a) The individual is licensed in his or her state of residence to purchase, carry, or transport a pistol.

(b) The individual is in possession of the license described in subdivision (a).

(c) The individual is the owner of the pistol he or she possesses, carries, or transports.

(d) The individual possesses the pistol for a lawful purpose as that term is defined in section 231a of the Michigan penal code, 1931 PA 328, MCL 750.231a.

(e) The individual is in this state for a period of 180 days or less and does not intend to establish residency in this state.

(9) An individual who is a nonresident of this state shall present the license described in subsection (8)(a) upon the demand of a police officer. An individual who violates this subsection is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days or a fine of not more than $100.00, or both.

RandyK

"This exception does not require that the license be a concealed carry license. For example, an Illinois resident who has a FOID card could possess (open carry) a pistol in Michigan."

What about states that dont have any kind of "license"?

Did some more reading and deleted the second part of this post. The first one still applys.

Last edited:

Bailenforcer

IF and I mean IF Indiana and Michigan has a reciprocity law agreement then you can carry BUT there are no assumptions that you may carry in pistol free zones. My opinion of course. I would challenge any pistol free zones open or closed carry. There is a question about citizenship of Michigan here and whether you would be granted defacto citizenship.

I hope I was clear and not confusing.

I am planning a vacation to MI and I was wondering if I could open carry with an Indiana License to carry a handgun(LTCH) permit? Thanks for any info.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
IF and I mean IF Indiana and Michigan has a reciprocity law agreement then you can carry BUT there are no assumptions that you may carry in pistol free zones. My opinion of course. I would challenge any pistol free zones open or closed carry. There is a question about citizenship of Michigan here and whether you would be granted defacto citizenship.

I hope I was clear and not confusing.

Michigan only writes reciprocity agreements w/ states that need them according to THEIR laws, as Michigan accepts all other states' Concealed Carry Licenses. Since Indiana recognizes all states' CC permits, you will not find a "reciprocity agreement" between IN and MI... as none is needed.