• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to AZ, anyone else in yuma?

J.D.Allen

Hi all,

Just wondering how things are for OC'ers in Yuma, any places I should watch out for, be aware of, friendly/unfriendly businesses, etc...?

NY2AZ

I'm pretty new to Yuma as well. I've been OC since November when I got here. I haven't run into any problems at all. It seems like its not a big deal here.

Have fun here in Yuma

Jared

Hi all,

Just wondering how things are for OC'ers in Yuma, any places I should watch out for, be aware of, friendly/unfriendly businesses, etc...?

I lived in Yuma. I left almost 3 years ago.

Open carry = no problem

Yuma PD = the coolest PD I've ever seen.

J.D.Allen

Awesome, thanks

I guess I'm going to enjoy living here since I've lived my whole life in CA with some not so cool PD's...

March Hare

Awesome, thanks

I guess I'm going to enjoy living here since I've lived my whole life in CA with some not so cool PD's...

About the only people you will get more than a casual glance from are transplants who haven't gotten used to the sight of firearms yet.

Just be aware that there are some places you can't carry:

Federal buildings and post offices,
K-12 schools on school grounds (no 1000' rule here),
Places that serve alcohol for consumption on site unless you have your CCW,
Private property if posted.

Reservation lands have their own set of rules, best not to carry there.

After July 29, you will be able to carry concealed without a permit.

Read the forum and get familiar with the ins and outs of AZ law, it's really pretty simple!

Enjoy carrying and welcome to Arizona!

Last edited:

J.D.Allen

About the only people you will get more than a casual glance from are transplants who haven't gotten used to the sight of firearms yet.

Just be aware that there are some places you can't carry; Federal buildings and post offices, K-12 schools on school grounds (no 1000' rule here), places that serve alcohol for consumption on site, unless you have your CCW, private property, if posted.

Reservation lands have their own set of rules, just be careful.

After July 29, you will be able to carry concealed without a permit.

Read the forum and get familiar with the ins and outs of AZ law, it's really pretty simple!

Enjoy carrying and welcome to Arizona!

Thanks a lot! I was wondering about that 1000' thing, so it's just a no-no on school grounds huh?
I am planning on getting a ccw, but I have a question abou that too. If you are cc'ing with a permit, can you carryat a place that has a no guns sign posted? Also, do private businsses count as a "public establishment" where they can ask you to get rid of your gun?

March Hare

Thanks a lot! I was wondering about that 1000' thing, so it's just a no-no on school grounds huh?
I am planning on getting a ccw, but I have a question abou that too. If you are cc'ing with a permit, can you carryat a place that has a no guns sign posted? Also, do private businsses count as a "public establishment" where they can ask you to get rid of your gun?

Yeah, school grounds are a big no-no!

A private business is still considered private property, they can ask you to leave and you can be charged with trespassing if you don't.

Carrying in a place that's posted is up to you, if a place is posted, I just don't give them my business since they are taking an anti-gun stance.

With your ccw you can carry in places that serve alcohol, provided (1 the firearm remains concealed and (2 you DON"T DRINK.
If the place has posted no firearms signs, then you aren't supposed to carry there. Again, that place doesn't get my dollars!

There are several posts in this forum that explain things in detail, this is just the 15,000 foot view.
I'm not a lawyer and certainly don't pretend to be one, your mileage may vary!

-MH

seventy4burban

I open carry quite offen. No business has ever said anything to me or asked me to leave. If im not mistaken the entire Yuma Palms has a restriction on firearms, I have never carried there but they have a policy sign somewere that says no firearms.

Brian

ccwinstructor

Centurion
Open carried in Yuma about 20 years, much more in the last 12.

Hi all,

I have been stopped three times while open carrying, temporarily disarmed once. All three times were taken care of satisfactorily. When I was temporarily disarmed, I called the Yuma PD and let them know what happened. It has not happened again since (about two years ago). There are a couple of places that ban weapons. You have to check your gun at the courthouse, the library, and the recorder/treasurers office. They are required to have lock boxes available for you. The hospital is also required to check your gun, but they have security come down and take it, then when you are done they return it to you.

Yuma has become much more open carry freindly since I and some friends organized an demonstration to push the County board to follow the law.

That must have been 10 years ago, I would have to look it up.

Gunfreak25

I'm a Yuman. :D Nice to see some other Yuma members here as well. Yuma PD ROCKS and I never had any issues with them. Since they put up the new Yuma library I have thought about writing some "to whom it may concern" type letters informing them how ridiculous their "no guns" sign is and how they are ATTRACTING a mass shooting incident more so then they are deterring one. Lost ground is hard to take back and I would hate to start seeing more and more no guns signs popping up around the town. We need all the conservatives down here we can get! :D