• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Holster recommendations for a 1911

Savage.Detroit

Hey all,

I just picked up my first 1911 (5 inch) so I need some holster recommendations for Ocing. I had been using the Serpa but I would like something in leather. Let me know what works for you,

Thanks,
Savage

fozzy71

I am shopping for a leather 1911 holster as well for OC and/or a duty type holster. I imagine I will go with some model safariland for a duty holster but there are so many types of leather holsters I am not sure which way to go.

These guys make some awesome stuff as well, but it is not cheap.

http://www.mernickleholsters.com/bm_ccsys.html

Not sure if I will get a belt and holster from these guys but I definitely want one of their shoulder holster rigs, ideally the dual 1911 holster once I get a matching pair. :D

Michigander

Safariland is pretty much the most reliable and high quality retention holster system in existence. Level 2 or 3 is available in the form of rotating hoods and push buttons that unlike Serpa's you can't see. And yep, they make them in leather if you gotta have that, but the plastic "fine tac" versions cost a lot less, and seem to last better.

SlowDog

I carry a 1911 and I use a open top holster from High Noon Holsters. For my BUG I use the same holster type. Great retention and speed of the draw.

Attachments

• 45 in holster1.jpg
    45 in holster1.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 284

fozzy71

Which 1911 did you get? That GI Expert? I just got my pachmayr grips, fobus double mag pouch, and spare wilson combat mag today. :monkey

Para-Pachmayr1-r.jpg

NHCGRPR45

i have had many leather holsters for the 1911, and none have worked. well i need to restate that. any leather holster that has a thumb break will deactivate your thumb safety. its the way that the holster is made and i have had holsters from every major holster maker. i have carried a 1911 since th3 1990, first when hunting with my grandpa, then my dad, then when i was 13 i used one to kill weasels and rats in the barn and outside or chicken coop, i know the 1911, so my opinion is well my own. my grandpa, and his brother used and carried 1911's in WW2 and i have my grandpa' 1911 that he used when going ashore as a combat engineer, but i digress.... 1911 leather concealed carry hip rigs all have the same flaw, they tend to deactivate the safety. especially the pancake type. i have had holsters from every company so far mentioned in this thread, none worked 100% of the time, and all if they had a thumb break deactivated the thumb safety. this happens when the thumb safety rides along the slide of the gun and when full secured the leather will with the thumb snap will touch the thumb safety. when you move around, sit, stand, get into or out of a car, the 1911 will move a small amount in the holster, maybe not when the holster is brand new, but when it get a little broken in. that small amount of movement will rub the thumb safety and click it off. this has been a headache for me for years! it may not do it all the time but it will happen. my initial response was to either leave the thumb snap unsnapped, which defeated the purpose of a L2 holster, or cut away some of the leather to try to keep the thumb safety from deactivateing. neither worked 100% of the time. here is were i will tell you what has worked for me! 1. the SERPA works, however it will ruin the finnish of your 1911 or any gun you carry in it for any length of time, i'll take heat for that i am sure but i don't care. its true. the second reason i don't use my serpa anymore is because the finger safety seems to stick on it every now and then, i even had one replaced a few years ago due to that. now don't lose hope just yet! their is a holster that will work and solves all of the problems above! i have one and will show it to you! in person if you'd like because it works! it does not damage the finnish because it has a leather lining, is a level 2 holster is useable as a concealment holster or a open carry holster! it even looks great! comes in several finnishes, mate black, gloss black, and my favorite carbon fiber. is made by a really great holster company Safariland. and you can have for 44$ with free next day overnight shipping. the model number is 6377-56-651, thats the one for a 1911 with light rails, 6377-53-651 is for a 1911 without light rails. those are both belt holsters, there is also a paddle option available if you prefer to use it that way. the retailer is www.opticsplanet.net but i urge you very strongly that you will like this a lot, i do and bought one for my dad and he loves it, although it took some time because he dosen't like fact its "plastic" he dosen't use the leather holster he has anymore. so if you would like to talk about it i'll leave my phone number for you, just say you are Savage from detroit when i pick up, or if you leave a message. 1-586-404-2082 but trust me this is the best 1911 holster out there as of now. if you were at the marrysville picnic i had it then, i was with sprinklerguy and my name is shaun i had a grey ARMY shirt on. well i hope i have given you some help and saved your hundreds of dollars on holsters. but feel free to contact me maybe we can do coffee or maybe a lunch someplace! shaun

autosurgeon

i have had many leather holsters for the 1911, and none have worked. well i need to restate that. any leather holster that has a thumb break will deactivate your thumb safety. its the way that the holster is made and i have had holsters from every major holster maker. i have carried a 1911 since th3 1990, first when hunting with my grandpa, then my dad, then when i was 13 i used one to kill weasels and rats in the barn and outside or chicken coop, i know the 1911, so my opinion is well my own. my grandpa, and his brother used and carried 1911's in WW2 and i have my grandpa' 1911 that he used when going ashore as a combat engineer, but i digress.... 1911 leather concealed carry hip rigs all have the same flaw, they tend to deactivate the safety. especially the pancake type. i have had holsters from every company so far mentioned in this thread, none worked 100% of the time, and all if they had a thumb break deactivated the thumb safety. this happens when the thumb safety rides along the slide of the gun and when full secured the leather will with the thumb snap will touch the thumb safety. when you move around, sit, stand, get into or out of a car, the 1911 will move a small amount in the holster, maybe not when the holster is brand new, but when it get a little broken in. that small amount of movement will rub the thumb safety and click it off. this has been a headache for me for years! it may not do it all the time but it will happen. my initial response was to either leave the thumb snap unsnapped, which defeated the purpose of a L2 holster, or cut away some of the leather to try to keep the thumb safety from deactivateing. neither worked 100% of the time. here is were i will tell you what has worked for me! 1. the SERPA works, however it will ruin the finnish of your 1911 or any gun you carry in it for any length of time, i'll take heat for that i am sure but i don't care. its true. the second reason i don't use my serpa anymore is because the finger safety seems to stick on it every now and then, i even had one replaced a few years ago due to that. now don't lose hope just yet! their is a holster that will work and solves all of the problems above! i have one and will show it to you! in person if you'd like because it works! it does not damage the finnish because it has a leather lining, is a level 2 holster is useable as a concealment holster or a open carry holster! it even looks great! comes in several finnishes, mate black, gloss black, and my favorite carbon fiber. is made by a really great holster company Safariland. and you can have for 44$ with free next day overnight shipping. the model number is 6377-56-651, thats the one for a 1911 with light rails, 6377-53-651 is for a 1911 without light rails. those are both belt holsters, there is also a paddle option available if you prefer to use it that way. the retailer is www.opticsplanet.net but i urge you very strongly that you will like this a lot, i do and bought one for my dad and he loves it, although it took some time because he dosen't like fact its "plastic" he dosen't use the leather holster he has anymore. so if you would like to talk about it i'll leave my phone number for you, just say you are Savage from detroit when i pick up, or if you leave a message. 1-586-404-2082 but trust me this is the best 1911 holster out there as of now. if you were at the marrysville picnic i had it then, i was with sprinklerguy and my name is shaun i had a grey ARMY shirt on. well i hope i have given you some help and saved your hundreds of dollars on holsters. but feel free to contact me maybe we can do coffee or maybe a lunch someplace! shaun

Holy crap wall of text :eek:

fozzy71

.... and you can have for 44$ with free next day overnight shipping. the model number is 6377-56-651, thats the one for a 1911 with light rails, 6377-53-651 is for a 1911 without light rails. those are both belt holsters, there is also a paddle option available if you prefer to use it that way. the retailer is www.opticsplanet.net.......

I just ordered a plain black one for under $30 before shipping.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/safaril...r-stx-plain-black-right-hand-6377-53-411.html

fozzy71

Ha! Me too, good review.Also ordered a mag pouch. I've always liked safariland, it was my first holster for my Ruger Security-Six back in '78. A mighty fine product.

I want to get a 6005 tactical holster, and some other misc accessories so that I can quickly change that holster from the thigh rig, to a belt attachment, drop belt attachment, paddle, etc. The tactical rig and all the accessories I want will be $225 - $250, so I haven't done it until I am sure the 1911 will be my daily carry gun. I could actually just start buying the accessories to build up this holster I believe. I can add the SLS and Sentry Hood for better retention. I can also order the thigh rig assembly, belt loop adapters, quick-change adapter plates, etc, etc. :cool:

You can even mount the adapter in your car or at home.

http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/duty/mls.aspx

Michigander

Fozzy, I think I've told you this before, but I suggest you get a Fine Tac 6280, and get other odds and ends later if you want. You can get them for under 90 dollars shipped. You won't likely regret having it, because even if you only want to carry your 1911 occasionally, it will give you the chance to do so comfortably and securely. Plus, you can always sell it to one of the millions of other 1911 owners, or even just over time build up a collection of Safariland holsters to use with your different mounts.

Just the same, I don't know of a need for anything more than a 6280 and a good belt. I wear mine year round while even while running and cycling. In the winter it sticks out and drops down enough to comfortably tuck a short to medium length coat behind it.

fozzy71

Fozzy, I think I've told you this before, but I suggest you get a Fine Tac 6280, and get other odds and ends later if you want. You can get them for under 90 dollars shipped. You won't likely regret having it, because even if you only want to carry your 1911 occasionally, it will give you the chance to do so comfortably and securely. Plus, you can always sell it to one of the millions of other 1911 owners, or even just over time build up a collection of Safariland holsters to use with your different mounts.

Just the same, I don't know of a need for anything more than a 6280 and a good belt. I wear mine year round while even while running and cycling. In the winter it sticks out and drops down enough to comfortably tuck a short to medium length coat behind it.

Yes, the 6280 and 6285 are what I want. The only difference is the 6285 has a 1.5" drop belt adapter. That same holster rig can be pulled off either of those belt mounts and mounted to the thigh rig (with screws or the quick change adapters). When I was pricing whole units and parts it was noticeably cheaper for me to buy the tactical rig and get the accessories, due to the cost of building the tactical thigh rig from the parts/accessories catalog.

Last edited: