• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Holster recommendations for a 1911

Savage.Detroit

Which 1911 did you get? That GI Expert? I just got my pachmayr grips, fobus double mag pouch, and spare wilson combat mag today. :monkey

Got a real good deal on a Kimber Custom II

img00434201007022055.jpg

Savage.Detroit

... is made by a really great holster company Safariland. and you can have for 44$ with free next day overnight shipping. the model number is 6377-56-651, thats the one for a 1911 with light rails, 6377-53-651 is for a 1911 without light rails. those are both belt holsters, there is also a paddle option available if you prefer to use it that way. the retailer is www.opticsplanet.net but i urge you very strongly that you will like this a lot, i do and bought one for my dad and he loves it, although it took some time because he dosen't like fact its "plastic" he dosen't use the leather holster he has anymore...

I don't think I like suede lining. It can see how dirt and grime could get stuck in there and run against the finish of my gun. I am think of an all leather one or smooth leather lined kydek like tucker leather does.

NHCGRPR45

dirt is not a problem at all, i wear mine when doing landscaping and dirt really isn't an issue. if dirt does get in the lining will be better than just hard plastic, and a leather holster will 1. have all of the negatives i previously mentioned. and will catch dirt like swede leather will.

leather holsters are great, and have been around as long as guns and weapons of any kind! but for a 1911, safariland has the best holster bar none at this time. its purpose built for a 1911 and protects the thumb safety, and dosen't collect dirt and grime i have had one since they came out and have used it for hunting when i go out in the bogs and marshes, and scrub forest in the UP, dirt just dosen't stay in the holster if it gets in it at all. its a perfect L2 holster, and it has a unique thumb release that is diffrent from the standard thumb break, i believe that it would give the safariland holster user a second to react to a potential grab attempt for your weapon.

the "thumb break" is fairly standard equipment, its been around a very long time, so its reasonable to assume that a fairly versed "bad guy" would know one when he/she sees it and be able to defeat it fairly quickly, the safariland is newer and not obvious to its function from just looking at it, in fact its fairly well hidden from view. its very easy for the user to operate but hard to quickly defeat by someone who dosen't know how to operate it, that could give you an edge!
like i said i have paid 43.13 for this holster, i have paid 150 for a kramer, 75 for a galco, 60 for a G&G, 65 for mernickle, 150, for a custom job the the craftsman swore would not interfear with the thumb safety and defeated the thumb safety everytime i got into and out of my car after a few weeks of the horesehide leather breaking in. save yourself some cash and buy something that will work the irst time get the safariland from optics planet, try it if it dosen't work out send it back for a refund, but i am certain that you will.

and off subject, i do understand that i need to use paragraphs, i can take constructive critisism:) i hope this helps, and sorry about the books i write, just trying to be helpful:)
and where by god is the dancing mokey! i loved that guy!

shaun

fozzy71

fozzy71

Does it cling tighter to the body than the Serpa?

Yes, it just has a belt loop system instead of a paddle so it sits much tighter. They do make a paddle version I believe too.

The release is a thumb-release on the inside which will take some getting used to. The serpa is probably faster to draw and then take off the 1911 safety because with the safariland you have to release the gun with the thumb and then move your thumb back to position and undo the safety.

GEDC0051.jpg

GEDC0052.jpg

GEDC0053.jpg

Bronson

The release is a thumb-release on the inside which will take some getting used to.

I know NHCGHLSHDFH328492364 trimmed his holster around the thumb release to make it easier to reach. I'll have to look into these since I like the Safariland products but can't use their SLS system.

Bronson

NHCGRPR45

yes i did trim it a bit mr. bronson, and i know all about my long screen name :) sorry again for all the little letters, and yes this safariland holster can be had in a paddle design also and the belt loop and paddle are interchangeable like the serpa, if you decide to get one and i strongly recomend that you do hint hint wink wink then i can show you how to trim down the area on the holster so even my little girly man thumb can reach it if your going to be at the parade today you can recon my sexy holster, in carbon fiber finnish. hint hint wink wink,,,,,,,,

shaun

NHCGRPR45

another thing about this holster is you can get a quick release attachment that goes on where the belt loop/paddle would go so you could easily remove the holster with haveing to undue your belt, and the biggest advantage to this is you can get extra quick releases and actually put them anywhere you want to secure your weapon,

i have one attached to the side of my bed so when i go to sleep at night i have it within easy reach and don't have it laying on a table all night and i'll getting another to attach it inside my car so i can have an easy draw while i am in my car. the quick release is very nice and secure so it wont accidently come undone either, like i have happen with blackhawks quick release. just another neat thing to think abou.!

and i am happy that you went and got one mr. bronson, i told you you would like it! another friend of mine bought on and sent it to me so i could trim his down, he alas has girly hands like mine, i could show you how to do it if you want or i could do it for ya, well i hope to see everyone at the parade today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
shaun

Bailenforcer

This is my favorite rig and I use it daily. I have both the belt, holster, and double mag pouch (not pictured).

I carry either my 1911 or my browning custom in it.

Hey all,

I just picked up my first 1911 (5 inch) so I need some holster recommendations for Ocing. I had been using the Serpa but I would like something in leather. Let me know what works for you,

Thanks,
Savage

Bronson

and i am happy that you went and got one mr. bronson

I haven't purchased one but I'll look into them. I'm not a big fan of suede linings but it's not a deal breaker for me. Thanks for pointing me to this holster.

Oh, and it's ok to drop the "Mr." We're all friends here and there's no need for that level of formality...at least not with me ;)

Bronson

fozzy71

yes i did trim it a bit......

Can you post a close up pic? I just bought a dremel tool tonight and am going to trim mine down also. I don't like how it rubs on the left hand side at the back end of the slide. It will annoy me more than the holster wear on the top of the slide caused by the serpa.

The dremel and accessories cost more than either the serpa or the 6377 holster. :D

Last edited:

NHCGRPR45

no problem bronson, just trying to be nice is all, and it was good to meet another OC'er especially by accident,,and so far you are the only one i have run into, there are quite a few in my area but we never seem to be in the same place at the same time. well have a great day!

fozzy71

How do you guys with 1911's carry when in the car? It sucks imo.

I am considering trying cross-draw on my left hip, or maybe it is just time to go for the double 1911 shoulder holster. :banana:

That means I also need to buy a matching set of 1911's with ambi-safety. :monkey:banana::monkey

Last edited: