Thread: Just me

Just me

Being stupid again. I have searched the statutes and looked at the Kansas Constitution and NO WHERE can I find language that states the citizens of Kansas have the right to Open Carry. Can someone direct me to these specific words in either statute or Constitution, PLEASE! I know we can but I want to make a copy to carry with me. I don't believe that I will run afoul of the LEO's of my tiny town, however forewarned is forearmed.

Quote Originally Posted by KansasMustang View Post
    Being stupid again. I have searched the statutes and looked at the Kansas Constitution and NO WHERE can I find language that states the citizens of Kansas have the right to Open Carry. Can someone direct me to these specific words in either statute or Constitution, PLEASE! I know we can but I want to make a copy to carry with me. I don't believe that I will run afoul of the LEO's of my tiny town, however forewarned is forearmed.
    AFAIK, there is no "right to open carry." But if you look, you may find statutes that deny such? Is there a KS Constitution statement about any RKBA?

You can start at the Kansas Map, which references:
    State Constitution Bill of Rights, Section 4

The people have the right to bear arms for their defense and security; but standing armies, in time of peace, are dangerous to liberty, and shall not be tolerated, and the military shall be in strict subordination to the civil power.
    Do not forget that statute will not typically allow behavior, it will deny behavior. Only after statute denies a behavior will statute allow exceptions.
    Last edited by wrightme; 07-09-2010 at 10:17 AM.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Sounds like Kansas is much the same as Louisiana. Our state constitution is similar to yours in that it says citizens have the right to keep and bear arms. Louisiana's includes language that allows it to regulate concealed carry but the legislature has enacted no statutes prohibiting or regulating the open carry of a firearm here. So, OC is not legal here because the law says it is, but because there is no law that prohibits it. Kansas, as wrightme pointed out, may have a similar situation.

Quote Originally Posted by wrightme View Post
    AFAIK, there is no "right to open carry." But if you look, you may find statutes that deny such? Is there a KS Constitution statement about any RKBA?

You can start at the Kansas Map, which references:

Do not forget that statute will not typically allow behavior, it will deny behavior. Only after statute denies a behavior will statute allow exceptions.
    I had seen that line in the KS Constitution and I know about the statute deal but had just wondered. And if that's so,,then I hadn't seen where it was not allowed to carry concealed. But for now I'll take that as gospel. Thank you

I had seen that line in the KS Constitution and I know about the statute deal but had just wondered. And if that's so,,then I hadn't seen where it was not allowed to carry concealed. But for now I'll take that as gospel. Thank you
    In Colorado, for example, there is no law allowing OC, but no law making it illegal--except in Denver County. Same in NH and VA, as further examples. Therefore, an act not expressly prohibited by law is allowed. KS sounds like the same situation.

Statute for CC

It is allowed to carry concealed in Kansas, but the statute covering cc has requirements that must first be met. Also, there are exclusions as to who may carry and where. The KS Attorney General's website has a "Concealed Carry" section with all the info. The statute changed as of July of this year, removing some of the restrictions about where we can carry and reducing the fees.