• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why liberals should love the Second Amendment

daddy4count

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2010/7/4/881431/-Why-liberals-should-love-the-Second-Amendment

This is a pretty good read... gave me some perspective on Liberal argument and the 2A

"Liberals can quote legal precedent, news reports, and exhaustive studies. They can talk about the intentions of the Founders. They can argue at length against the tyranny of the government. And they will, almost without exception, conclude the necessity of respecting, and not restricting, civil liberties.

Except for one: the right to keep and bear arms."

Last edited:

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
Holy Crap!

Some "liberals" are finally getting it. The Republicrats will always disagree on some of the issues but one thing they should get together on is the entire BoR.

Now, if the Democrats start advoacting the 2A and Republicans start understanding the other parts of the BoR what will happen?

Dr Ray Stantz: Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling!
Dr. Egon Spengler: Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes...
Winston Zeddemore: The dead rising from the grave!
Dr. Peter Venkman: Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

eye95

"Liberals" are in full control now. They are infringing on Liberty left and right--not just the 2A. The liberal movement in this country today is not about Liberty. It is about government taking care of the citizenry, which, by nature, restricts Liberty.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
I'm gonna have to call you out on this one Eye95.

"Liberals" are in full control now. They are infringing on Liberty left and right--not just the 2A. The liberal movement in this country today is not about Liberty. It is about government taking care of the citizenry, which, by nature, restricts Liberty.
First, to clarify the small "l" I used in "liberal". Secondly, something that you like to remind other posters about; your post being off topic. Your post is going to start a debate that's been finished too many times before and detract from the OP. An OP, I might add, that I'm intersteing in hearing further discussion about.

Lastly, if you check the link and read some of the comments you will soon see that a lot of the commenters are classic liberals, which we indeed need more of.

eye95

First, to clarify the small "l" I used in "liberal". Secondly, something that you like to remind other posters about; your post being off topic. Your post is going to start a debate that's been finished too many times before and detract from the OP. An OP, I might add, that I'm intersteing in hearing further discussion about.

Lastly, if you check the link and read some of the comments you will soon see that a lot of the commenters are classic liberals, which we indeed need more of.

This thread seems to imply that liberals are generally pro-Liberty, except for the 2A. So, it is quite on-topic to point out that the actual liberal movement in this country (not classical liberals) is in control of this nation and has taken actions that are quite anti-Liberty, not just anti-2A.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
This thread seems to imply that liberals are generally pro-Liberty, except for the 2A. So, it is quite on-topic to point out that the actual liberal movement in this country (not classical liberals) is in control of this nation and has taken actions that are quite anti-Liberty, not just anti-2A.
I don't see how this thread implies that at all and the thread is/was :( OT for 2A. I don't disagree with you but I'd rather discuss the piece linked, after all; both Republicans and Democrats seem to think that their side is a bastion of Liberty. :rolleyes:

eye95

I don't see how this thread implies that at all and the thread is/was :( OT for 2A. I don't disagree with you but I'd rather discuss the piece linked, after all; both Republicans and Democrats seem to think that their side is a bastion of Liberty. :rolleyes:

I never mentioned Republicans or Democrats. Your article clearly implies that liberals are pro-Liberty, except for the 2A. (That's the point of the piece.) I pointed out that liberals are in control of the nation and are demonstrably anti-Liberty--generally, not just regarding the 2A.

So, feel free to repeat one more time that my reply is off the topic of this thread. Feel free to bring Republicans and Democrats into it again, implying that I have done so. Feel free to roll your eyes again. I don't care. I have made my point and will move on.

simmonsjoe

Hijacked

eye95 If something is on your mind, you can start your own thread! No need to derail another thread. Every member can start threads on OCDO.;)

:rolleyes:

:eek:

Oh wait,,, off-topic threads get deleted. Guess you'll have to keep going gangster.
ThreadHijack-Car.jpg

Last edited:

The Donkey

"Such a narrow interpretation of this particular right is inconsistent with the otherwise broad interpretation of the Bill of Rights. And just as conservatives weaken their own arguments about protecting the Second Amendment when they will not fight as vigilantly for protecting all the others, so too do liberals weaken their arguments for civil liberties, when they pick and choose which civil liberties they deem worthy of defense."

Thank you. Couldn't have said it better!

rodbender

Hijacked??? What???

I don't see that eye95 hijacked anything. He is spot on in his analysis of the article. The article is wrong. He is spot on with his statement that liberals are in total control and are trouncing on liberty everyday. Hijacked?? I don't think so.

Liberals will talk a good story about advancing liberty, but the truth is they want full control of our lives. That ain't liberty. Never has been, never will be.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
This has always been the most dishonest thing about the Democratic Party.

Democracy, as is the root of their own party's name, requires that power be in the hands of the people. Without a gun in the peoples' hands, who counts the votes? You know well no politician of any kind would ever do anything but lie, cheat, steal, and kill, if there were not an armed citizenry with a gun to their heads forcing them to do as we say.

No matter what your Political Affiliation/Faction, you know damn well that politicians are the ultimate scum of the earth. Giving them all the guns supports Democracy how? It doesn't.

What happened to the old Democratic Republicans? People who knew that mob rule would result in the same tyranny as a monarchy, and tempered it with a list of Rights that no one could touch? It's common-sense, and it was outlined in our Constitution. The only reason it doesn't work, is because it isn't being used.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member

That is what makes me lose sleep at night.

Especially, when I realize their horse ain't sober, neither. :) (inside joke)

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member

That's exactly right, and I might add that there are times when the left seems hell bent fighting for the rights of people who arguably don't have any. Such as illegal aliens, or islamic radicals picked up from foreign battlefields. The silence of those who were wailing and gnashing their teeth over the patriot act now that the moonbat messiah is in office is telling as well. Oh BTW, GITMO is still operational. I'm not upset about it, but it's no suprise the bed wetters seem to have forgotten about it.

Furthermore, it's my opinion that the liberals know they cannot grasp absolute power while the people have the means to resist, and that is their ultimate agenda.

Last edited:

gsx1138

That entire article sounded very Libertarian which is not related to today's Liberal's. Today's Liberal loves Government intervention as long as it coincides with their ideology. In this way they are no different than Today's Republican.

Otherwise, it was an excellent write up.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Today's Liberal loves Government intervention as long as it coincides with their ideology. In this way they are no different than Today's Republican.

Precisely. Government has become nothing but a giant 2x4 with a new nail put in it every time it changes factions and is then swung at 'the other guy.'

We are divided, and we are being conquered. And guess who's laughing all the way to the bank?

The 2x4.

daddy4count

Let's face it, politics in America is BIG BUSINESS

You don't get into a political career these days to try and make a difference. You do it to take the next step up the ladder, and the next, and the next... all the while pocketing as much as you can along the way. You placate to those who can help your personal agenda until you reach the point where it becomes more beneficial to work for your party's agenda... assuming you're one of the TWO.

I would love to see term limitations in every level of government. But I sincerely doubt that will happen. It is hard enough to get them to vote a decrease in their own pay, let alone shorten the life expectancy of the golden goose.

A friend of mine recently joked that we only have one political party in America... the Economic Party.

Sadly change is next to impossible. A whole nation of people is set in motion and it is extremely difficult to sway a group of people that large... even if they agree with you. It will take a major socio-economic event which affects the group as a whole.

You can lead a cow anywhere you want it to go. But don't bother trying to direct a stampede... you will only get trampled.

jbone

SNIP
That entire article sounded very Libertarian which is not related to today's Liberal's. Today's Liberal loves Government intervention as long as it coincides with their ideology. In this way they are no different than Today's Republican.

I agree.

Propaganda, Bush bashing, and a Liberal unification war cry, that’s all it was, painting themselves are angles perched over and protecting the Constitution. Liberals, I mean progressive’s, talk the two face trash talk all day long, if anyone thinks it sincere, OMG. I saw no mention of the illegal alien running this administration and the fornication of the constitution, and justice system by them. Blame-Blame, never take any responsibility, Liberals that is.