• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone else following this?

cscitney87

I'm following. Within the first 5 minutes of the story- it was clear that old man acted in terrible form. He fired at fleeing suspects- defending property with bullets. 1st- you don't shoot the bad guys when they are speeding away. 2nd. You don't kill another human (or two) because he takes your trailer.

Poor form, old man, poor form.

cscitney87

Even if I was "car jacked"- I would never use my pistol to fire at somebody if they were already driving away in my car. That's a huge no no here on this board anyway I'm sure you saw this reaction coming.

Edit: By the way- anyone read any of the 141 comments on the link provided? Ugh.. people are a little thick skulled. Everyone says the old man was right for defending his property under Make My Day Law! That's ridiculous and as we know the Co. Castle Doctrine doesn't exactly protect you in this case at all. Killing another human being is a big deal. People change you know.. Even criminals can have a change of heart.. that's why delivering the death sentence is serious. You are the cop/judge/jury/executioner.

Last edited:

zach

I don't know if I would characterize his shots fired as at someone who was driving away. It seems more that the thief's were attempting to end his life by using the truck.

If someone was trying to run you down wouldn't you feel threatened? I'm pretty sure the Cops would call that a justified shooting if it was one of them trying to stop a felon.

Dudley from RMGO was on KHOW this morning and it sounded to me they are in support of Mr. Wallace.

cscitney87

Saw this on the local news and also watched online video and read the article. I never had the feeling that the bad guys were "ramming" the old man with the pickup truck. Look think about the "real life" scenario. They hooked up their pickup truck as fast as possible and hopped in and drove away. The old guy saw it- first- then grabbed his strap and ran out the door as they were speeding away. Home boy old guy fires two shots as they flee.

cscitney87

He's mad. Understandably so- but he is completely justified if he was truly being rammed, we agree on that.

If he shot the guys as they were rolling out- phuck that. That's poor form. No trailer is worth all that.

INSPGAD

From what I understand they were headed right for him he barely got out from in front of them and the shots were fired from the front/side not from the back as if they had already passed him Can we really belive the news media???

cscitney87

Even if your scenario is exactly right. He fired into the side of the vehicle as they were speeding away...

At this point- they are leaving- his life is Not in immediate danger. Not justified to shoot and kill if they were in the process of leaving- shooting into the side like that.

It's the fact that these guys were not firing bullets at him- both were in the truck and already "on their way"

He was pissed. It's an old guy and he's mad at "thugs" and that's that. He shot at them because he was pissed they stole his trailer.

this old man's life was not in danger AT THE TIME he fired shots at and killed the bad guy. They were leaving- in a truck.

cscitney87

Come on think about it deeper. Put yourself in his shoes. Two guys just hooked up your trailer and are speeding away in the pick up truck. You have a pistol and you have a clear shot. You know you're not going to die tonight- and you also know your trailer is getting stolen tonight. Do you fire? No. You know you're not dying tonight- they are leaving and the threat to your life is over. Your property was stolen. Call 911 and let that be that. You have home owners insurance or something similar? It's theft- that's it get the police report and do your thing.

Put yourself in his shoes guys.. The truck with bad guys is in clear shot... You WANT TO SO BAD because they are stealing your lively hood.. they are stealing your way of life! You NEED that trailer for your business. They are driving off with it... no plans on stopping. You're SUPER PISSED... Old guy lost it and shot at them and killed one. Like I said before- we wouldn't have shot at someone when driving away.

The fact that his bullet did not alter the path of the vehicle in a way that protected him.. that's everything.

If the truck was literally driving directly at him and he shot the driver and the truck turned away and crashed into a tree saving victim's life.. Sure that's one thing..

That's not what happened. The bad guys were driving away and this guy ended a life for a piece of metal, rubber, and plastic tail light covers.

zach

cscitney87, who died? Maybe I missed that....

The 2 douche bags stealing should have never been in this country!

These charges are BS, and my guess is they will be dropped.

cscitney87

Nobody died but he tried to murder.

"Wallace now faces twelve felony counts, including four counts of attempted first degree murder,"

Those charges probably won't be dropped. Where do prosecutors draw the line with the "Make My Day Law?"

These guys weren't in his home and committing crimes. They weren't going to murder the old man- they stole his trailer. That's it.

cscitney87

And all those people touting "Make My Day Law!!"

"1985 Colorado statute that protects people from any criminal charge or civil suit if they use force – including deadly force – against an invader of the home"

What a bunch of sorry, ignorant, poor, foolish people... To think they never literally ever read the actual law they are referring to.

These bad guys were never in this old man's home. The old man was LITERALLY never in danger of being murdered.

Yet he felt justified in attempting to murder because his piece of steel with rubber and plastic was being stolen.

Last edited:

cscitney87

"...any occupant of a dwelling is justified in using any degree of physical force, including deadly physical force, against another person when that other person has made an unlawful entry into the dwelling, and when the occupant has a reasonable belief that such other person has committed a crime in the dwelling in addition to the uninvited entry, or is committing or intends to commit a crime against a person or property in addition to the uninvited entry, and when the occupant reasonably believes that such other person might use any physical force, no matter how slight, against any occupant." 18-1-704.5 Use of deadly physical force against an intruder."

His home was not invaded. Enough said. Make My Day Law is not applicable. He was not in immediate danger of being murdered himself. He was physically safe from harm- but his trailer was being stolen.

zach

This coming from a guy who has no issues with drawing down on a dog?

You're making a case for the DA.

I wasn't there, you weren't there. That being said, if someone was trying to run me down with a vehicle, I'd consider that a threat to my life.

The fact that you think he tried to "murder" these felons seems to be rather "sorry, ignorant, poor, foolish".

I've never quoted the make my day law, I know it doesn't apply.

I don't think we'll agree at any level on this one, so we'll just have to watch the outcome.

cscitney87

Look I'm saying from what I gather (from the reports) that this man was not being "rammed" by a truck. The truck was heading in a direction that would not have caused the truck to hit or kill the shooter.

Therefor he shouldn't have shot at the truck.

Defending a human life from an unleashed dog is not relevant to this situation. Apples and oranges.

If the truck was going to mow the man over.. sure shoot to save your life.

But yea let's just see what happens.

Morh

Hubert (One-Slow County), North Carolina, USA
Murder: First Degree

In most states, first-degree murder is defined as an unlawful killing that is both willful and premeditated, meaning that it was committed after planning or "lying in wait" for the victim.

the charges on him are BS, unless he had invited them over to let them borrow his flatbed beforehand. heh

If a criminal is harmed while committing a crime, its the criminals fault!!!!!!!!!!!

Pussification of America at its finest.

cscitney87

What's ***** is to try and kill somebody for stealing your trailer. In Colorado you are not allowed to defend your property with deadly force- unless your home is invaded. His home was not invaded- he had no justification for shooting at them other than he was pissed they stole his trailer.

Again you are not allowed to defend your property with deadly force- only allowed to defend human life.

CaveMan

From what I have heard on the radio (630) one of the criminals was hit in the face and both bullets were at a 45 degree angle from the front of the vehicle. If this is true than there is plenty of evidence the vehicle was going towards this man and he had a right to shoot. He did not shoot at them from behind while they were leaving. The other thing I don't understand is how this guy can be charged with 4 counts of murder and there was only 2 thiefs. Maybe this guy was in the wrong or maybe not but justice will be surved with him.

The biggest part of this that we should all have an issue with is why are these illegals with prior criminal history's in this state, in this country, and not being charged yet? Why is nobody talking about that? Is the famous dumb ass Ritter going to let them go on agg tresspass charges and not even deport them like he is famous for? If our stupid liberal idiot politicions and civilians woke the f*** up this would never have happend. With there ridiculous values and beliefs it will happen again and most of you will pay attention to the wrong side of the story as usual.

cscitney87

SO CS Was he supposed to stay standing in front of the truck and get run over so that he would be defending himself from them????????

Wow you guys are hopelessly lost.

Yeah.. if you are faced with being murdered (ran over by truck) or moving out of the way.. which would you choose?

If you move out of the way- you are not going to be murdered- you don't have to fire any bullets.

So if the old man indeed was in the path- moved out of the path- and THEN fired bullets; he's wrong.

But I'm sure you all know much much more than the LEOs and Investigators that showed up on the scene. You must know all the facts- and you should all give the DA a call and let them know that you have all the facts. Go ahead and mail the DA a letter stating this man was in the free and clear to murder the bad guys. Go for it.