• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone else following this?

zach

Because the left wing media doesn't want to give up the name of the employer. They're all for illegal immigrants civil rights, even if they violate the laws of the U.S.

Yooper, we need a sarcasm smilie....

Oh I know, I moved out of Kalifornia 4 years ago. While CO is better, there are still plenty of issues here.

Brass

We do indeed have a way to go. We were one of the first states with a make-my-day law. We have not kept up. Other states have gone one better and made it so that there is no duty to retreat, not just in your home but anywhere. And Texas, the old man wouldn't have been charged because there, you are alowed the use of deadly force to protect your poperty.

Dynamite Rabbit

That's a little different than duty to retreat. It is true, you can't defend property outside your home with deadly force, unless there's a threat of death or serious bodily injury involved. There was a bill extending "Make My Day" to business property, but it either failed in the legislature or was vetoed -- can't remember which.

Duty to retreat, the way I understand it, requires you to do everything possible to get away from a threat before you use deadly force. There's no such statute in CO. C.R.S. 18-1-7xx covers the statutes applicable to the use of deadly force.

Edit: cited wrong statute.

Last edited:

cscitney87

All right well I have already stated my case a million times. He defended his property with deadly force.

After giving this a few nights of sleep and a few days of media attention;

I am NOT Alone in my feelings in this case. Television and Radio serve to broadcast local opinions on the subject and both sides, mine and the rest, were voiced live. The local news stations have done the same in posting viewer opinions. Follow "city-data" type locally focused web forums and you will find multiple threads on the days hot topics. Craigslist random posts follow suite (but with more swearing).

Metro Denver is certainly and perhaps the rest of Colorado; split on this issue.

This has done one thing though, which is great for us; nobody has once debated whether or not firearms should be own and kept. That's a +1 for the gun community. Nobody is out there saying well guns should be banned and he shouldn't have ever had a gun. We are keeping the conversations relevant. This man either will be charged with all the felonies, or be charged for a lesser offense, or be acquitted by jury! Does anyone really expect the DA to "drop all charges" here?

Last edited:

mahkagari

Because the left wing media doesn't want to give up the name of the employer. They're all for illegal immigrants civil rights, even if they violate the laws of the U.S.

I think it's more a case of relevance. "If it bleeds, it leads." Naming the place of buisness just isn't worth the space and doesn't do anything to sell papers (or clicks). If it was a big name or one of the places that has been busted in raids, the paper would have been all over that. If it's some po'dunk shop no one's heard of, they'd have to add a sentence or two so people aren't distracted wondering who on earth that is and why they should care. Those 10 or 20 words translate to a chunk of change an editor may not want to spend to add a tangent to the story during which the reader loses interest and wanders away. And yeah, people do have that short of an attention span. How many stopped caring what I was saying half way through this paragraph?

CO-Joe

And yeah, people do have that short of an attention span. How many stopped caring what I was saying half way through this paragraph?

I stopped caring halfway through the first sentence, and just skipped to the end :)

since9

Campaign Veteran
Good chance I'm mistaken, but I seem to recall them prsecuting a guy for defending his place of business here in Colorado a year of so ago. And here is Wikipedia saying that Colorado's law just protects us in the home. Of course, it's Wikipedia, so take of it what you will.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_doctrine

Since it's Wikipedia, if the CRS specifically says differently, simply change it and cite (reference) the source.