• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

1000' School law

ISRAEL

Hi !!!! Carracer

Was nice to see you again, sorry we did not talk, as you know I am going deaft,it is hard to hear specially in an enclosed room, but Yolanda explain things that I can not understand.
In the meeting we talk of so many items, but I do not remember 1000 school law, and I do not know what this means, can you explain it to me, please? A member of the group was talking about the way we suppose to dress when we O.C.?, do you thik is ok to dress well when we OC?
I did not know you are a biker, where is all the leather biker use, did not see it. Hope to see you again, you are a good friend.
That was not a 44 you were carrying, is it?

carracer

Some of the Laws were discussed briefly after some of the attendees left. The 1000' law was a federal one that was to give a gun free zone around school grounds of 1000'. It was struck down in 1995 by the Supreme Court but I don't know if it was ever amended again. Idaho has no such law that I can find although there are several states that do such as California.

Yes, I feel that a good appearance gives an appearance that is more favorable in others eyes. It should not be that way but presently it is. With that said I belive the most important factor is the open carriers attitude. Being polite and having a positive outlook. Don't give away your situational awareness nor your rights. Just be polite and unoffending while exercising them. I learned a long time ago that please and thank you go a long ways even after a week of hard working, no shaving or showering back country camping or hunting. I look pretty bad at that point.

I ride when I can. Not much leather tho. Chaps when it's cold in the morning.

I was wearing my .44mag at Id City. Left it home and wore my 1911 .45acp in my new left hand Serpa I got from Robert at RK Gunsmithing in Nampa.

ISRAEL

A new question

Some of the Laws were discussed briefly after some of the attendees left. The 1000' law was a federal one that was to give a gun free zone around school grounds of 1000'. It was struck down in 1995 by the Supreme Court but I don't know if it was ever amended again. Idaho has no such law that I can find although there are several states that do such as California.

Yes, I feel that a good appearance gives an appearance that is more favorable in others eyes. It should not be that way but presently it is. With that said I belive the most important factor is the open carriers attitude. Being polite and having a positive outlook. Don't give away your situational awareness nor your rights. Just be polite and unoffending while exercising them. I learned a long time ago that please and thank you go a long ways even after a week of hard working, no shaving or showering back country camping or hunting. I look pretty bad at that point.

I ride when I can. Not much leather tho. Chaps when it's cold in the morning.

I was wearing my .44mag at Id City. Left it home and wore my 1911 .45acp in my new left hand Serpa I got from Robert at RK Gunsmithing in Nampa.

As you know I carry a 44 mag, and I see some people carrying 1911 like you have, my question is why the trigger is "open"? I do have guns like yours but they still in boxes never been fire yet thats why I am asking, looks dangerous to me, is it safe to carry that way?. please do not laugh, I do not know, I hope you tell me, and some day I will carry one of them.

carracer

The 1911 has 2 safeties that have to be released before it will fire even with the hammer back. Thumb safety left side above the grip and a grip safety on the back side of the grip.

aadvark

Federal Law only applies to: 1. Things listed under Article 1 Section 8 of The Constitution of The United States, 2. Federal Property, 3. Federal Teeritories, 4. Things that move in or otherwise effect Interstate Commerce, or 5. Things that move in or otherwise effect Foriegn Commerce.
Idaho Law does not Incorporate 18 U.S.C. 922(q), although some States do, and thus, is not in effect throughout Idaho.
In Idaho..., K-12 Schools is actually the ONLY place where Carry, Openly or Concealed, is Prohibited.
In Idaho..., Open Carry is allowed in Courthouses and Jails/Prisons, per Idaho Code 18-3302C.

ISRAEL

Federal Law only applies to: 1. Things listed under Article 1 Section 8 of The Constitution of The United States, 2. Federal Property, 3. Federal Teeritories, 4. Things that move in or otherwise effect Interstate Commerce, or 5. Things that move in or otherwise effect Foriegn Commerce.
Idaho Law does not Incorporate 18 U.S.C. 922(q), although some States do, and thus, is not in effect throughout Idaho.
In Idaho..., K-12 Schools is actually the ONLY place where Carry, Openly or Concealed, is Prohibited.
In Idaho..., Open Carry is allowed in Courthouses and Jails/Prisons, per Idaho Code 18-3302C.

Gracias Aadvark, I did not know all of this , this information is good to me to know, Thanks a lot.

aadvark

Glad to be able to help..., ISRAEL!
Nosotros Podemos apreder muchas cosas en el Internet, como asi!

aadvark

No..., no soy de Boise.
Aunque..., es muy importante a mi para aprender la Ley acerca Idaho.
Porque..., si, Usted, quiero visitar al Idaho, entonces quiero portar mi Pistola tambien, nesecito saber la Ley de Idaho.
Yo no quiero ir a la carcel.

aadvark

En cuidado Usted..., porque hay otras Personas no les gustan estamos hablando en Espanol en este Forum.

ManInBlack

I will be moving to Boise in a few days, and I just want to make sure I am totally clear in my understanding that loaded open carry without a permit is legal within 1000 feet of the school, just not on the school property itself?

ISRAEL

Yes you can open carry within 1000' of a school, I moved the Idaho law pamphlet to the top so you could read the law yourself. Welcome to Idaho.

Most of the week ends we babysit our 4 grand kids, no more free weekends for us, ha ha ha, and we had take them to a park over Northview ave. in front of the Catholic Church, and this past saturday I saw that this park (has a swimming pool) is next to a grade school, do I need to count how many steps from the school entrance or how do I know how many steps, now I am confused becouse I been O.C. all this time and there is a lot of people whith their children playing and every one have seen my gun, children came close to inspect it and ask Yolanda if is real. but I do not want to do it if is against the law O.C. in that park.

Zhukov

Just to point out, I skimmed the thread so I may have missed - After the 1995 Supreme Court ruling, there was a new Gun Free Zone Act of 1996 that fixed the constitutional "defects" of the overturned version.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun-Free_School_Zones_Act_of_1990

Congress re-enacted the law in the GFSZ Act of 1996, following the Supreme Court's ruling, correcting the technical defects identified by the Court by adding wording placing the burden on the prosecutor to prove an additional element, that the "firearm has moved in or otherwise affects interstate commerce."

Last edited: