• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Does anyone have a non resident permit in the Mass

bigcntry88

Just got my Florida permit. Was about four weeks. Not bad. Anyone have a Non Resident Mass permit. How long and what do you need to get it. I saw the website for the state. Just wanted to hear from someone who has one.

Jared

Just got my Florida permit. Was about four weeks. Not bad. Anyone have a Non Resident Mass permit. How long and what do you need to get it. I saw the website for the state. Just wanted to hear from someone who has one.

The Mass process is exactly as they say. It's straight forward. All they care about is that you have a home state license, which I'm sure you do in CT. While Mass law and everything is bad, the people that process and interview you are very straightforward. In my experience, my brother was asked why he wanted it and he was saying things about transport, all lawful purposes etc. and the guy doing the interview just interrupted him and said, "so you want it for protection". I thought it was funny.

buketdude

I would check on that..They have been restricting Non-Resident LTC's to target/hunting for new applicants...You better have a good reason...This new policy started in the past couple months..

buketdude

You are probably best to talk to an Attorney is Mass that specializes in Firearms...Self Defense is not a valid reason...you will be restricted..Do you transport cash? own a business in Mass?? Do you currently hold a Non-resident LTC-A with no restrictions?....You must drive up there now each year..the permit is only good for a year..$100 a year..and you must take a course from a Mass Certified Instructor..

Dear Applicant:
The Firearms Records Bureau (FRB) may apply certain restrictions on a non-resident temporary license to carry firearms. These restrictions detail the terms and conditions that govern the possession of a firearm under the license pursuant to G.L. c. 140, §131F.

The following restrictions may be applied to a non-resident temporary license to carry firearms:
NONE – the LTC is issued for all lawful purposes with no restrictions.

EMPLOYMENT – restricts possession to business owner engaged in business activities or to an employee while engaged in work related activities, and maintaining proficiency, where the employer requires carry of a firearm (i.e. armored car, security guard, etc.). Includes travel to and from activity location.

TARGET & HUNTING – restricts possession to the purpose of lawful recreational shooting or competition; for use in the lawful pursuit of game animals and birds; for personal protection in the home; and for the purpose of collecting (other than machine guns). Includes travel to and from activity location

SPORTING – restricts possession to the purpose of lawful recreational shooting or competition; for use in the lawful pursuit of game animals and birds; for personal protection in the home; for the purpose of collecting (other than machine guns); and for outdoor recreational activities such as hiking, camping, cross country skiing, or similar activities. Includes travel to and from activity location.
OTHER –

Restrictions are based upon the information provided in the license application. Please ensure that you provide a detailed reason for requesting the issuance of a license in Massachusetts. Include information regarding how and where you intend to possess or use a firearm and your knowledge and training in Massachusetts firearms laws.
If you have any further questions please feel free to contact the FRB at (617) 660-4782.

Last edited:

Anvil

Well one thing for sure is the fact that most applicants being refused the All Legal Purposes license and receiving a lesser one would certainly not pay to renew the following year.
At $100 each year for not getting what you want is just a waste of cash.
Too bad there is no way the state can calculate the loss in revenues ( not that they care, after all they're getting guns off the streets) and realize that the good guys are paying for the right to carry.
I've had a Non-Res LTC in Ma since the late eighties, I have sent in my renewal request and have not heard anything yet as to a date for an interview.
I've been interrogated by the best, and can hold my own in an interview, but the bottom line is, if they don't want you to have a LTC All Lawful Purposes, you aren't getting one.

AGust82

We need national reciprocity, all by itself, not attached to some bill about something totally unrelated. I've got a stack of non-resident permits from all over the country and pay a lot of money for them. And I still have to stop and lock up guns before I cross unfriendly states. This practice is totally ridiculous. Every other license and permit I possess is valid where ever I go. Driver's license, marriage license, even my boating license. I wont spend a dime in states that don't recognize my rights. Imagine your marriage license not being valid in Hawaii? The honeymoon industry would fail there and no one would feel bad for them. More people need to be vocal on this issue.