Thread: Nevada CCW permit class in Wendover

Nevada CCW permit class in Wendover

http://docs.google.com/View?id=dt4wtjh_0cfz8nnf2

August 8-9 In Wendover Nevada. See link above for details. Or email me at korbenn88@gmail.com

Thanks for the info, but I personally refuse to pour any money into Nevada's treasury.

Ditto

Ditto
    Zach
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"

Don't get a NV CFP!

I will not get one nor should any other Utahan! IMHO

If I didn't work those days, I'd probably go. I go to Vegas once or twice a year to work and it would be nice to not have to worry about leaving my weapon at home.

Not sure what the deal is with denying Nevadas HUGE coffers with a few of my dollars. I blow more than that on drinks, food and gambling when I'm down there.

Utah Money in NV

Quote Originally Posted by GenkiSudo View Post
    If I didn't work those days, I'd probably go. I go to Vegas once or twice a year to work and it would be nice to not have to worry about leaving my weapon at home.

Not sure what the deal is with denying Nevadas HUGE coffers with a few of my dollars. I blow more than that on drinks, food and gambling when I'm down there.
    I will not give NV any money, that includes food, hotels, and I never give them free money either as well as any money for drinks.

Nevada Non-Resident Permit

Why does everyone hate Nevada so much?

I really got tired of stopping on the UT side of the border to "get naked" and remove my primary and Back Up and lock them in a case with magazines in another case. So, I went to Lost Wages and got my Nevada non-resident CCW. If the course in this thread had been offered sooner, or if I hadn't gone when I did, I would take it. But, I cannot even use the services of this vendor to add pistols to my NV permit.

Nevada law requires that residents apply to the Sheriff of the county they reside in. Non-residents can apply to any Sheriff of any county, but the application must be in person, the fingerprinting must be done there, and the photo must be taken there. Application must to to the Sheriff of the county in which the training took place. Likewise, adding any additional pistols to the permit (training and qualification must happen in the county that issued the permit).

That is probably why the training is taking place on a Sunday and Monday in the AM. That gives each student time to hustle over to Elko to make the application in-person as required by Nevada law.

Why

I open carry in NV no permit needed and that's the way it will stay.
    Zach
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"

Nevada dropped recognition of the Utah permit and the only motivation that can be seen is the money.

That's why Nevada gets none of my money.

The Truth About Nevada

Many States have legislation requiring the States whose CCW Permits they honor to have equivalent or higher standards than they do. It may not be a true adherence to the 2nd Amendment, particularly since the Heller and McDonald decisions by the nine wise ones, but that is the way it is.

Nevada dropped Utah because Utah does not require live fire qualification / proficiency. That life fire proficiency requirement is the reason Kansas honors Nevada permits, but does not honor Utah permits and I cannot find a thread blasting Kansas. The Nevada legislature did not convene and spend weeks deciding how to screw Utah, and Utah was not the only State whose permits were no longer honored by Nevada. Florida permits got the axe in Nevada on the same day.

Nevada allows open carry, but not everywhere:

Can I carry a firearm on my person in Nevada?
    Nevada has an open carry law that permits a person to carry a handgun in plain view, however, there are exceptions. For instance, Clark County requires you to have a registration to open carry, and you must carry your registration with you when you are carrying a gun. Some cities such as North Las Vegas and Boulder City have "deadly weapon" laws, and you could be cited or arrested if you pass through their jurisdictions with a firearm in your vehicle.

Nevada decided to accept Utah's permit knowing that Utah did not have a live fire requirement in the first place.

Only when there was a run on permits, particularly the Utah non resident permit, Nevada suddenly reversed their stance on Utah permits.

Florida, also previously recognized by Nevada, does not require live fire and Nevada did accept them. They also reversed their stance on these permits.

Notice that both of these states allow non residents to get permits without visiting the state and both a more widely recognized than the Nevada permit.

Note that NO CHANGE in Utah or Florida law prompted this change. After many years of accepting the permits from these two states, SUDDENLY it is a problem.

Nevada did this for monetary reasons. I refuse to support such a move and as such will not visit Nevada.

Nevada stabbed many CCP holders and 2nd ammendment supporters in the back with this move.

Is my position clear?
    Last edited by thx997303; 07-16-2010 at 04:31 PM.

Can you be sure it was for monetary reasons?

The Nevada legislature does not decided recognition like Utah does.

Perhaps the Nevada Department of Public Safety or the Nevada Sheriffs’ and Chiefs’ Association decided to pull an "anti-gun" stunt?

That's my opinion, anyways.

NRS 202.3653 Definitions. As used in NRS 202.3653 to 202.369, inclusive, unless the context otherwise requires:

2. “Department” means the Department of Public Safety.
    NRS 202.3689 Department to prepare list of states that meet certain requirements concerning permits; Department to provide copy of list to law enforcement agencies in this State; Department to make list available to public.

1. On or before July 1 of each year, the Department shall:

(a) Examine the requirements for the issuance of a permit to carry a concealed firearm in each state and determine whether the requirements of each state are substantially similar to or more stringent than the requirements set forth in NRS 202.3653 to 202.369, inclusive.

(b) Determine whether each state has an electronic database which identifies each individual who possesses a valid permit to carry a concealed firearm issued by that state and which a law enforcement officer in this State may access at all times through a national law enforcement telecommunications system.

(c) Prepare a list of states that meet the requirements of paragraphs (a) and (b). A state must not be included in the list unless the Nevada Sheriffs’ and Chiefs’ Association agrees with the Department that the state should be included in the list.

(d) Provide a copy of the list prepared pursuant to paragraph (c) to each law enforcement agency in this State.

2. The Department shall, upon request, make the list prepared pursuant to subsection 1 available to the public.
    Last edited by Kevin Jensen; 07-16-2010 at 07:24 PM.
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by jpm84092 View Post
    Can I carry a firearm on my person in Nevada?
    YES.

Nevada has an open carry law that permits a person to carry a handgun in plain view,
    False. There is no "open carry law" in Nevada.
    however, there are exceptions. For instance, Clark County requires you to have a registration to open carry, and you must carry your registration with you when you are carrying a gun.
    Again, false. Clark County only requires a registration to own a handgun, for residents. A person does not need to carry the "blue card" on their person either.
    Some cities such as North Las Vegas and Boulder City have "deadly weapon" laws, and you could be cited or arrested if you pass through their jurisdictions with a firearm in your vehicle.
    Cite?
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jensen View Post
    Can you be sure it was for monetary reasons?

The Nevada legislature does not decided recognition like Utah does.

Perhaps the Nevada Department of Public Safety or the Nevada Sheriffs’ and Chiefs’ Association decided to pull an "anti-gun" stunt?

That's my opinion, anyways.
    No I can't be sure. Though it is highly suspicious in my view.

Either way, I do see it as stabbing gun owners in the back across the country.

Quote Originally Posted by thx997303 View Post
    No I can't be sure. Though it is highly suspicious in my view.

Either way, I do see it as stabbing gun owners in the back across the country.
    A sure way to find out is to work in UT to get the CCW standards up to the level set by NV, and watch about next May for the new NV list.

For 2010:
    UT and FL were dropped.
    NM, NC, and RI were added.
    Last edited by wrightme; 07-17-2010 at 12:22 AM.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Yeah, there we go, infringe further on the rights of the citizens of Utah.

I think not.

I prefer to go the opposite direction.

Last I remember, there is a constitutional carry bill in the works similar to Arizona's new law.