• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Heated discussion?, Sure,,,,but lets be civil about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zekester

I have been on this forum for a short time, and JMHO...what the hell are we doing!

Over and over again I see post that attack other posters for what ever reason...I am a firm believer in the 1st amendment, but are we not all here for the same thing?

GUN RIGHTS!!!!!!!!!!!

You want to attack the “leaches”, “posers”, “lurkers” or above all the “trolls”, you have the right to do so, but if I am correct, we are here to promote gun rights.

I am not so naive to think that there will not be disagreements, but personal attacks should be left on the playground, not on this website. Ignore the “trolls”...nothing you say will ever change their minds.

You may disagree with some of the things that opencarry.org is about, you may disagree with other organizations within your state or surrounding areas,and certainly you disagree with those that post here, but they are doing their best. That said, disagreements should be handled in a civil manner.

Don't think for one second that this site is not monitored by the “anti's”, or the media...anything you say can an will be used against “US”...in public opinion.

I am all for a spirited debate, and I do not have any intentions to become the “moral” administrator for this forum. I just wanted to bring this to everyone's attention, that we are all in this together.

I guess the question is, do we want to be betrayed to the general public as a bunch of Wyatt Earp's just looking for a fight and can't even agree with our own, or as normal citizens trying to protect what is rightfully ours?

I guess it is your choice. How do you want to handle it?

Z

Last edited:

ODA 226

I have been on this forum for a short time, and JMHO...what the hell are we doing!

Over and over again I see post that attack other posters for what ever reason...I am a firm believer in the 1st amendment, but are we not all here for the same thing?

GUN RIGHTS!!!!!!!!!!!

You want to attack the “leaches”, “posers”, “lurkers” or above all the “trolls”, you have the right to do so, but if I am correct, we are here to promote gun rights.

I am not so naive to think that there will not be disagreements, but personal attacks should be left on the playground, not on this website. Ignore the “trolls”...nothing you say will ever change their minds.

You may disagree with some of the things that opencarry.org is about, you may disagree with other organizations within your state or surrounding areas,and certainly you disagree with those that post here, but they are doing their best. That said, disagreements should be handled in a civil manner.

Don't think for one second that this site is not monitored by the “anti's”, or the media...anything you say can an will be used against “US”...in public opinion.

I am all for a spirited debate, and I do not have any intentions to become the “moral” administrator for this forum. I just wanted to bring this to everyone's attention, that we are all in this together.

I guess the question is, do we want to be betrayed to the general public as a bunch of Wyatt Earp's just looking for a fight and can't even agree with our own, or as normal citizens trying to protect what is rightfully ours?

I guess it is your choice. How do you want to handle it?

Z

KEEP YOUR OPINIONS TO YOURSELF YOU BLEEPING TROLL!!!!!! :p

Just joking! I agree with you 100% but sometimes it's hard not to retaliate when the "Civil" is missing from the "Discourse".

SavageOne

Great sentiment Z. Do you include those on our state thread who refered to other members as "The Enemy of OC" and "Traitors"? It's fine to come out and ask for everyone to be civil but where was this sentiment when members were being attacked for misguided ideas?

cscitney87

When two people don't agree with each other.. One of them calls the other a troll. That's simply how it works on this forum.

Don't share my opinion? You must be a troll... Post more than one time per reply? Must be a troll. Won't compromise? Must be a troll..

t33j

When two people don't agree with each other.. One of them calls the other a troll. That's simply how it works on this forum.

Don't share my opinion? You must be a troll... Post more than one time per reply? Must be a troll. Won't compromise? Must be a troll..
+1

Each forum tends to have its own slightly different definition of trolling, but the users here seem to throw around the term very loosely. Perhaps its because of the older crowd.

zekester

Great sentiment Z. Do you include those on our state thread who refered to other members as "The Enemy of OC" and "Traitors"? It's fine to come out and ask for everyone to be civil but where was this sentiment when members were being attacked for misguided ideas?

Personal attacks are unwarranted, period. I know what thread in which you are referring to, and if you notice, I said nothing. Should I have popped into a thread and just kept it flaming to the extent that it helps no one? I will let you know that I sent a few PM's to ask it to be toned down, but I have no control over the situation.

I guess we have to police our own, but I found it better to just ignore. Fighting among ourselves gets us no where.

Last edited:

SavageOne

Personal attacks are unwarranted, period. I know what thread in which you are referring to, and if you notice, I said nothing. Should I have popped into a thread and just kept it flaming to the extent that it helps no one? I will let you know that I sent a few PM's to ask it to be toned down, but I have no control over the situation.

I guess we have to police our own, but I found it better to just ignore. Fighting among ourselves gets us no where.

Actually you did offer a one word of advice...Kwikrnu. Now, you could have meant it to show the possible legal troubles which could result from a poorly thought out idea. You could also have been using it in a more negative conitation(we all know there are those who do not hold Kwikrnu in very high regard on this forum). From reading you other posts you seem to be a sincere and well intentioned person, so I believe it was an offer to avoid legal troubles. My point is you did chime in and not to publicly ask for a more curtious atmosphere. PM's are great, but as you have asked others to curtail carrying certain firearms to keep from scaring the general public, I must ask you to be more publicly vocal when members choose to be less than civil. I do however join you in the hope we can all be more civil towards one another.

zekester

Actually you did offer a one word of advice...Kwikrnu. Now, you could have meant it to show the possible legal troubles which could result from a poorly thought out idea. You could also have been using it in a more negative conitation(we all know there are those who do not hold Kwikrnu in very high regard on this forum). From reading you other posts you seem to be a sincere and well intentioned person, so I believe it was an offer to avoid legal troubles. My point is you did chime in and not to publicly ask for a more curtious atmosphere. PM's are great, but as you have asked others to curtail carrying certain firearms to keep from scaring the general public, I must ask you to be more publicly vocal when members choose to be less than civil. I do however join you in the hope we can all be more civil towards one another.

I stand corrected...I did put that in the post, and it was more for advice than anything. As far as being more vocal, that may well depend on the person and the discussion, sometimes it is just better to let things die on the vine. But I will do my best. Thanks for pointing that out to me!

Status
Not open for further replies.