• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

People like a lot of these people scare me

simmonsjoe

Looks like a Level II-A

That vest appears to be a level II-A vest. It is rated to stop .355-.357 JSP bullets up to 1,250fps.
It also has very poor blunt trauma protection. (means non-penetrating hits are still life-threatening from minor rounds)

There are many pistol rounds that could penetrate this:

9mm +p+
.357 sig
10mm
some .45acp
30cal Tokarev

In fairness this vest is designed for maximum concealment, and is less effective than a level II vest.

ixtow is right about this not really being relevant. More than just intent, another logic failure is non-penetrating rounds can still be deadly with many vests. So now the argument is invalid on multiple fronts.

Fortunately for our sheepdogs in blue, thugs like 9mm/.380acp/.38spl

Last edited:

protias

The vast majority of soft body armor is easily defeated by almost any civilian legal rifle cartridge.

Please note the 5.7 pistol was designed as a companion to the PS90, which has a longer barrel. It needs that longer barrel for its full potential.

.45ACP 230g +p ammo is way more lethal to someone wearing soft body armor than the civilian 5.7 ammo. Although it won't penetrate, it will shatter your sternum, possibly resulting in bone cutting the lungs, heart, pericardium, and blood vessels.

The big myth is that you need to penetrate soft armor in order to kill your target. You only need to transfer energy through it.

Yes there are exceptions and there is a soft armor made from woven spider silk that can distribute energy enough to protect you from a .45acp. That is what we call the .01%

Fixed. The P90 is the full auto, short barrel. The PS90 is semi auto only and has to have the barrel extension to meet federal regulation (otherwise you have to get the SBR tax stamp). As for the ammo, good luck finding SS190AP. Even if you do, it is prohibitively expensive. Even the SS192 ammo is pretty much prohibitively expensive. SS195 is hard to find. SS197 is what most people by, but at ~750 for a case of 2,000, that's still a lot of dough. I know SS198 just came out, but I haven't done any research on it. Sure these rounds are fast and will penetrate soft/no armor, but against Level 3/4 armor, it won't penetrate. Level 4 is made to stand up against 7.62 x 54 ammo!

http://www.bulletproofme.com/Body_Armor_Accessories_Rifle_Protection.shtml#Levels

simmonsjoe

Comprehension fail

Fixed. The P90 is the full auto, short barrel. The PS90 is semi auto only and has to have the barrel extension to meet federal regulation (otherwise you have to get the SBR tax stamp). As for the ammo, good luck finding SS190AP. Even if you do, it is prohibitively expensive. Even the SS192 ammo is pretty much prohibitively expensive. SS195 is hard to find. SS197 is what most people by, but at ~750 for a case of 2,000, that's still a lot of dough. I know SS198 just came out, but I haven't done any research on it. Sure these rounds are fast and will penetrate soft/no armor, but against Level 3/4 armor, it won't penetrate. Level 4 is made to stand up against 7.62 x 54 ammo!

http://www.bulletproofme.com/Body_Armor_Accessories_Rifle_Protection.shtml#Levels
p90 still has longer barrel than Five-seveN pistol. PS90 was developed well after the p90.