• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Very positive OC experiences this month.

usnsubmarine

I live in Tucson, AZ. Open carry has been legal since the territory days. I always open carry, I've had more positive experiences than negative. I do it to desensitize the public to the idea of citizens carrying a sidearm. I'm as polite and gentlemanly as one could possibly be, even more so when I carry. I want people to associate respect/courtesy with "gun". I know not all of you like the idea of open carry, tactically, or otherwise. After being robbed at gunpoint at work, I began carrying, predominately concealed, and I've noticed over the 2 years of open carrying that interactions with beggers, druggies, and otherwise scum of the earth cretins have decreased to the point that I can't recall the last time I've been bothered/approached by one. I enjoy that.Alot.

I wanted to share some experiences, both negative and positive.

I was in Walmart, talking to my grandmother on my cellphone (she had me looking for an enema and stool softerners, ew.) A woman approached me, and kind of stood there looking at me, I asked her if I could help her and she said "Yes, 2 things. First I wanted to thank you for carrying that thing (as she points to my hip), I feel much safer with you here. I just wanted to shake your hand. Also, could you reach that green towel for me?" She was so sincere, and it made me feel pretty good.

My girlfriend and I just moved into a new apartment, the woman and her husband next-door were locking up their house as I hopped onto my motocycle. The woman came up to be and said "Hey I just wanted to welcome you guys to the area, when you first got here I was a little bit nervous when I saw you guys (my girlfriend open carries too) but after thinking about it, I feel pretty safe having you next-door. Its good to know that if we need help you're within shouting distance. You got my husband wanting a gun." This turned into a 10 minute conversation about conceal carry laws, and what gun to buy. Arizona just passed the law where anyone can conceal carry WITHOUT a permit. But I told them they should go to the local range and get training before buying the gun, and especially before carrying.

I've had about 10 or so of these kind of experiences. Either a thank you, or a "how do I go about carrying/getting a gun" type of response.

As far as negative stuff:
Aside of the occasional weird looks, and "omg?!?!" stares, I very very rarely get any bad encounters.

I was looking at a really nice bobber/chopper in a parking lot, when some guy pulled up next to me and says in a really snappy rude tone "Hey boy, you should cover that up. When a badguy comes looking for trouble you're the first whos gonna die." I asked him if he had ever seen this happen EVER in the news, and he had no response, he drove off like 17 year old boys do when they're trying to impress someone. My girlfriend and I laughed and continued drooling over the bike.

I had a woman the other day, shield her children while I was getting salsa from the salsa bar at a Mexican food joint. I heard one of the kids say "Momma, momma... momma... mom... "WHAT?" "Is that real?" as he pointed to me. She told me to "Get that people killer away from my babies!!!!!!" I was kind of having a bad day, and I just responded with a sarcastic "Really?...." Later which I regret. But seriously, it was silly. Even the couple next to me looked at me and rolled their eyes. Hah.

Anyways, I find it a great tool to get otherwise non-gun owners, armed. My girlfriend says I have an approachable look/personality which helps, and I'm pretty good with people. If I can get ONE person to arm themselves, I feel like I've done a really good job.

Thanks for listening.

Attachments

• guncrystal.jpg
    guncrystal.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 323
  • dddddd.jpg
    dddddd.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:

Dreamer

Welcome to OCDO, and thanks for posting those very positive stories. We sometimes get so caught up in the "bad news" that we forget that there are LOTS of opportunities to do good. Every OC-related encounter has the potential to be an educational experience--for the OCer AND for the other person. Sounds like you've got that part down pat!

And judging from your stories and pics, you are doubly lucky. Not only do you live in a very OC-friendly state, but you have a beautiful (and OC-friendly) girlfriend. Congrats all around!

I'm sure that we all look forward to hearing more of your positive OC stories!

Thanks again, and welcome.

Lethal Overdose

"People Killer"?

Wow, it sounds like someone needs to go lie down somewhere.

She really called a self defense tool a "people killer"?

After she left, I bet she drove her evil "kitten masher" (car) to her shack in the middle of cesspool swamp to feed her pet "infant masticator" (dog).
She probably feeds her "infant masticator" "murdered, baby chicks" in a kibble form. She is a horrible person. I can tell.

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet." -Shakespeare

jay75009

all very good reasons to OC and welcome :) i feel the same way. My mother lives in a elderly retirement development , private appartments with assistance if needed. It houses 24 units and about 33 elderly men and women. and at first they all assumed i was an LEO because i work for a security company. then they were a little worried when they found out i was not an LEO. But after visiting and hanging around helping my mother for 2-3 years here, i've been told by almost every one of them that my presence and my firearm make them feel very safe, secure and compfy. one even enquired about getting one for herself.

it does make you feel good when someone thanks you or treats you in a very friendly mannor while you OC. i hope that actions like these help the rest of the public realize that we are not here to hurt anyone, and that our guns are not going to just "jump" out of the holster and shoot someone.

anyways :) welcome to the board

and on a side note. that woman that called it a people killer probably still refers to her dinner as "yumm yumm's" and doesnt let her kids watch ninja turtles cause they are "violent teenage scum" :p

Last edited:

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
"People Killer!?" Well , that's my abdominal workout for the day...

Some people are like Slinkies. They aren't really useful for anything, but you can't help but smile when they tumble down a flight of stairs.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
"People Killer!?" Well , that's my abdominal workout for the day...

Some people are like Slinkies. They aren't really useful for anything, but you can't help but smile when they tumble down a flight of stairs.

LOL!! Just know that even after I sign off, I am going to be chuckling over those two comments.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Even after five minutes I can't come up with a good response to the woman's "people killers" comment, except perhaps something like, "Well, not yet they aren't. Wounded a few, though..."

And technically, since my son hurt his finger on the trigger guard and the slide caught my dad's hand, that'd be true.