Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Officer invol. shooting

Officer invol. shooting

http://www.lvrj.com/news/armed-man-s...-98171839.html

humm a man with a gun hopefully it was some nut job the cops shot and not an open carrier walking out of costco!!!

Centurion
    Linked story is VERY short on details...

simply states an armed man was shot and killed by LEO after leaving a store!

If that is ALL there is to the story, the police will be paying a big fee to somebodies family!

I spoke with Antonio Planas on the phone, he informed me that a more detailed article will be forthcoming as facts become available, however he did indicate that suspect in question was behaving erratically, destroying merchandise in the store and when confronted by police, reached for a firearm that was tucked in his waistband.
    Last edited by Nevada carrier; 07-10-2010 at 07:56 PM.

This is obviously a case of mass reporter error. Costco bans guns, so this never happened.

http://www.8newsnow.com/Global/categ...autostart=true

Still sketchy on details, something seems off though... I hope they didn't get a MWAG call and then just shoot the dude when he pulled up his shirt to show them he had a weapon...?!

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Suicide by cop, possible.

Stupid move when under the gun, decidedly.

Illegal conduct reported in Costco, w/o a doubt.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

television report

http://www.mynews3.com/news.php

You might have to search for the story.

28kfps
    Apparently, there was some issue with the person. I am sure he was not a reader or poster on opencarry. Too bad, they had to take him out. No matter what his issue was, it was once again a big in the news awe $hit for the opencarry and pro-gun group.
    Last edited by 28kfps; 07-12-2010 at 02:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 28kfps View Post
    Apparently, there was some issue with the person. I am sure he was not a reader or poster on opencarry. Too bad, they had to take him out. No matter what his issue was, it was once again a big in the news awe shi$t for the opencarry and pro-gun group.
    Why?
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

28kfps
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Why?
    I assuming the question why, is to why I say it is an awe $hit for opencarry and pro-gunners. I say this because any time there is negative guns issue that makes the news it is used by the anti gunners who say, see guns are bad ignoring the idiot. In addition, it was done at a business one of many at a time we are trying to make a bigger opencary presents in hopes of making the public more comfortable seeing a holster gun.

Quote Originally Posted by SCJeffro View Post
    http://www.8newsnow.com/Global/categ...autostart=true

Still sketchy on details, something seems off though... I hope they didn't get a MWAG call and then just shoot the dude when he pulled up his shirt to show them he had a weapon...?!
    According to the ch8 report tonight that is exactly what happened! Apparently his shirt came up and showed his weapon. someone called police showed up and he went to lift his shirt to show them he was armed and all 3 officers open fired!

The is no way I am going to so much as touch my gun, lift my shirt or make any other move that could be misunderstood when involved with police officers.

Going to be very interesting to see how this plays out.

tv interview

the cop clearly and plainly says that he DREW his gun, for whatever reason!
    thats a shootable offense!
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Quote Originally Posted by 1245A Defender View Post
    Hopefully there will be security tapes that will answer these questions.

If you read the Sun article the comments after the article some are eye witnesses said he never drew his gun they also said one cop is yelling drop the gun if it was in his pants how do you drop it without going to it. I hope there is video from Costco of this so the real story comes out but I think Metro over reacted some said the guy didn't relize they were talking to him it will be interesting to see if we ever get the real story

Most of what's been written here doesn't seem very plausible when you look at the man's history... Scott is said to have been a graduate of the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, had a Master's degree from Duke University, and worked for a medical devices company.

Yes, the police are saying that. So far, every eye witness is saying he didn't.

Witnesses are also reporting the police telling him to drop his gun, but it wasn't in his hand. Sounds like he was shot for trying to follow their instructions.

West Point does not generally turn out crazy graduates, so until video evidence shows otherwise, I am going to assume the police created a dangerous situation and then acted dangerously.

I was at that Costco about an hour or two before this happened. I have OC'ed in there a few times before, without any issues. I had to pick up supplies for my wife grandparents 60th anniversary or there was a pretty good chance I would have OC'ed that day. But instead I choose to CC just so nothing would happen and ruin there party.

Just watched the channel 8 piece. Saying that you HAVE to HAVE your blue card on you .
    EDC=XDm40 16+1+16+16

RED DRAGONS!!!!

I'll wait tell we get all the facts before making a call on this one.

According to a first hand eye witness story, Scott was executed by the cops from the sounds of it.

http://www.8newsnow.com/global/story.asp?s=12785291

My wife and I were 7 or 8 feet away from the shooting as were the police. We were to the suspects immediate right. We heard and saw the 3 police officers shouting to the man in question to ‘get on your knees’ several times. At that point the man appeared somewhat stunned by the commotion and shouting of the police.

His Right arm went up in a defenseless position and it appeared his left arm appeared to be going up but there was NO gun in his hand. He was taserd and shot at the same time. At no time did the man in question ever raise his voice, shout an obscenity or become confrontational with the police. We saw the disabled man stooping to his right facing us with what appeared to be a bullet wound in his upper chest with blood coming from the wound and immediately his eyes became glossy as he began to convulse. At this point he was no threat to anyone, both hands were in full view of us and there was no gun. As he was down, the police continued to shout ‘put the gun down’ several times…but there was no gun in his hand as we had full vantage point view. The injured man was having agonal respirations, he was down when the second volly of bullets rang out. There was no doubt in question that following the second barrage of bullets the man was dead. His girlfriend was to the back side of us and began to scream…..why did you kill him, he is a military man with a license to carry a concealed weapon. You didn’t need to kill him….you didn’t need to kill him.
    An officer then came up to the injured man who in my opinion was a ‘dead’ man’, was cuffed with his hands behind his back and no attempt by the officer to determine if the man was alive or dead. No apparent life saving aid was given to the ‘downed’ man. The man was totally lifeless when the Paramedics arrived on scene. I was absolutely surprised to see that no attempt at aggressive ACLS was engaged. They simply just picked up the body like a ’sack of potatoes’ and hurled him onto the gurney and into the ambulance This was a crime scene…. the crime scene was violated. One of the paramedics who attended to an injured elderly lady said the man was dead. There was a dead man in front of Costco. What nobody is talking about is that there were many many spectators, many like ourselves within just a few feet of the victim when the shots rang out. It seems to me that the greater danger was posed not by the victim but by the police who fired many shots in the vicinity of the innocent public. I agree with you, I hope the media and your friends family can get their hands of Costco’s Camera’s which will indeed tell the rest of the story. Also it must be confirmed whether the second gun supposedly found by the victims side was indeed also registered to him as a licensed conceal and carry.

Centurion

Where are the tapes?

Quote Originally Posted by codename_47 View Post
    According to a first hand eye witness story, Scott was executed by the cops from the sounds of it.

http://www.8newsnow.com/global/story.asp?s=12785291

My wife and I were 7 or 8 feet away from the shooting as were the police. We were to the suspects immediate right. We heard and saw the 3 police officers shouting to the man in question to ‘get on your knees’ several times. At that point the man appeared somewhat stunned by the commotion and shouting of the police.

His Right arm went up in a defenseless position and it appeared his left arm appeared to be going up but there was NO gun in his hand. He was taserd and shot at the same time. At no time did the man in question ever raise his voice, shout an obscenity or become confrontational with the police. We saw the disabled man stooping to his right facing us with what appeared to be a bullet wound in his upper chest with blood coming from the wound and immediately his eyes became glossy as he began to convulse. At this point he was no threat to anyone, both hands were in full view of us and there was no gun. As he was down, the police continued to shout ‘put the gun down’ several times…but there was no gun in his hand as we had full vantage point view. The injured man was having agonal respirations, he was down when the second volly of bullets rang out. There was no doubt in question that following the second barrage of bullets the man was dead. His girlfriend was to the back side of us and began to scream…..why did you kill him, he is a military man with a license to carry a concealed weapon. You didn’t need to kill him….you didn’t need to kill him.
    An officer then came up to the injured man who in my opinion was a ‘dead’ man’, was cuffed with his hands behind his back and no attempt by the officer to determine if the man was alive or dead. No apparent life saving aid was given to the ‘downed’ man. The man was totally lifeless when the Paramedics arrived on scene. I was absolutely surprised to see that no attempt at aggressive ACLS was engaged. They simply just picked up the body like a ’sack of potatoes’ and hurled him onto the gurney and into the ambulance This was a crime scene…. the crime scene was violated. One of the paramedics who attended to an injured elderly lady said the man was dead. There was a dead man in front of Costco. What nobody is talking about is that there were many many spectators, many like ourselves within just a few feet of the victim when the shots rang out. It seems to me that the greater danger was posed not by the victim but by the police who fired many shots in the vicinity of the innocent public. I agree with you, I hope the media and your friends family can get their hands of Costco’s Camera’s which will indeed tell the rest of the story. Also it must be confirmed whether the second gun supposedly found by the victims side was indeed also registered to him as a licensed conceal and carry.
    Cosco apparantly has a lot of video cameras. If the tapes are miraculously all blank, or lost, or missing, I think we can assume that if it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, and has feathers like a duck, it is a duck. I also want to see the video of this man "destroying property". If it is not there, the clerk who filed the false report should be prosecuted.

Lets see the video, then we will have some evidence about who is lying.

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
    The eyewitness account seems to indicate that at least one of the cops was trying less-lethal (TASER) at the same time the others were shooting. This would mean that the one cop felt that the situation did not warrant even drawing his gun. That's the guy I would want to put on the witness stand first.

I, too, want to see the video on this, but I won't be surprise to learn that the one camera which would have shown everything was malfunctioning, and the others pointed that way don't give enough detail . . .

However, again from the eyewitness account, it sounds like the "destroying property" bit was false. First, the eyewitness doesn't mention anything about it, and second, you don't usually find a girlfriend with someone going nuts in a store.

You guys in the Sharp End, please keep us up to date on how this plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by greengum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Hopefully there will be security tapes that will answer these questions.
    There should be NO DOUBT that security videos are available that will show exactly what happened, IF this LV Sun report is accurate:

Police Capt. Patrick Neville said Costco security personnel called police at 12:47 p.m. after the man began destroying merchandise in the store. After the call, store security noticed the man had a gun and began to evacuate the business, Neville said.
    If store security called it in, I would expect them to be following with more than one camera, until the situation was over.

That LV Sun report is also quite at odds with the eyewitness report. Time will tell on this one.
    Last edited by wrightme; 07-13-2010 at 12:51 AM.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

today i was going to walk into a subway off of boulder hwy. open carrying, but when i saw about 4 cops standing in the line i decided even though i have a ccw i didnt even wanna bother with any of their crap so I went to one just down the street on my way home...who knows could have saved my life...this guy probably had it in a serpa holster secure as can be. If he made the mistake of going for his weapon, then its a good shooting, but if these cops just shot for no reason they are going to be in some trouble. If one officer had a taser he had to been within 20ft of the suspect and didnt feel the need for lethal force unless he knew the other officers were giving lethal cover. Something smells bad here hopefully they made the correct choice and the guy pulled the gun, because if not i am going to loose even more confidence in metro and we will all have to watch our backs when exercising our God given right to bear arms.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast