• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Officer invol. shooting

28kfps

Just heard on TV5 news update Metro has postpone the Coroner's inquest into the Costco shooting indefinitely.

Last edited:

maxwell6717

--Deleted--
Rules Violation--

".....
we will NOT tolerate any personal attacks or general bashing of groups of people based upon race, religion, sex, or choice of occupation (e.g., being a law enforcement officer).

flagellum

--Deleted--
Rules Violation--

".....
we will NOT tolerate any personal attacks or general bashing of groups of people based upon race, religion, sex, or choice of occupation (e.g., being a law enforcement officer).

Mods are quick this time of year. On a related note, I am checking out that video.

Yard Sale

TV reporter

A Las Vegas TV reporter contacted me via e-mail (YouTube message) and wants to speak to me about my "video" of the Costco incident radio communications.

Yard Sale

Seriously? Who has the resources to fake that audio? And to what end? It's not like the audio incriminates or lets off the hook any of the parties involved.

Dreamer

And now that Cosco and LVPD has said that the Cosco security videos are essentially unreadable (isn't THAT convenient) it comes out that LVMPD doesn't even have squad car dash cams in most of their cruisers...

Funny thing, that...

But they DO have cameras on their Tazers (since 2007), which they failed to deploy in the Costco incident...

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=3799475

Curiouser and curiouser...

LVMPD also uses a dual radio system--a new trunked digital VOIP called "OpenSky", by Harris (which is one of the most notoriously buggy and unreliable police radio systems in existance, and their old analog VHF system. The OpenSky system is so unreliable and buggy that they left their old VHF system installed and use it for most day-to-day stuff.

Milwakee PD and NY PD have been trying to get their "OpenSky" systems online for nearly three years, and after tens of millions of dollars total, neither of them are fully operational.

Seems like a good radio system for a force like LVMPD. No citizen monitoring, sketchy reliability, bad sound quality, and dicey archiving reliability. Perfect...

The reason some PDs are switching to trunked digital VOIP style systems is that you can't listen to them with a police scanner. They remove one more level of public accountability by blocking out the people who listen to police scanners...

LVMPD secured the contract for OpenSky in 2006. It is still not fully implemented.

http://www.redorbit.com/news/technology/443612/macom_receives_89_million_award_from_lvmpd/

But it IS an "exclusive electronics contract" and since LVMPD didn't have pre-existing dash cam systems, once they install the OpenSky gear, they can't ad any new electronics to their cruisers, unless it is installed by Harris, per the contract....

http://www.lvrj.com/news/attorney--...g-against-police-99611339.html?numComments=44
(read about half-way down in the comments...)

This story just gets better and better...

Last edited:

Remmy

The reason some PDs are switching to trunked digital VOIP style systems is that you can't listen to them with a police scanner. They remove one more level of public accountability by blocking out the people who listen to police scanners...

Silly executives, sure you cant listen to VOIP traffic using a police scanner. But rest assure you still can very much listen to VOIP traffic using several sniffing products available. and with the right knowledge and tools one could sniff out their "super secure" voip traffic. I wouldnt worry so much that we wont have citizens out there picking up on police radio traffic. Speaking of VOIP if any of their solutions transverse cox or level 3 networks they are going ot have crap service as they load balance their backbones and data never takes the same path which will cause jitter, static, quality issues for any VOIP service traffic,

Yard Sale

Does anybody know:

1. Where the Costco video storage media is currently located?

2. Where the LVMPD 911 audio storage media is currently located?
2a. Is it by any chance connected to a network?

kwikrnu

Banned
I have tried to get video from Costco due to a lawsuit between me and the State. The lawyer who I have communicated with is from Washington and she said they had no video. I question how long they keep video and how many cameras they actually have.