• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Officer invol. shooting

codename_47

According to a first hand eye witness story, Scott was executed by the cops from the sounds of it.

http://www.8newsnow.com/global/story.asp?s=12785291

My wife and I were 7 or 8 feet away from the shooting as were the police. We were to the suspects immediate right. We heard and saw the 3 police officers shouting to the man in question to ‘get on your knees’ several times. At that point the man appeared somewhat stunned by the commotion and shouting of the police.

His Right arm went up in a defenseless position and it appeared his left arm appeared to be going up but there was NO gun in his hand. He was taserd and shot at the same time. At no time did the man in question ever raise his voice, shout an obscenity or become confrontational with the police. We saw the disabled man stooping to his right facing us with what appeared to be a bullet wound in his upper chest with blood coming from the wound and immediately his eyes became glossy as he began to convulse. At this point he was no threat to anyone, both hands were in full view of us and there was no gun. As he was down, the police continued to shout ‘put the gun down’ several times…but there was no gun in his hand as we had full vantage point view. The injured man was having agonal respirations, he was down when the second volly of bullets rang out. There was no doubt in question that following the second barrage of bullets the man was dead. His girlfriend was to the back side of us and began to scream…..why did you kill him, he is a military man with a license to carry a concealed weapon. You didn’t need to kill him….you didn’t need to kill him.
An officer then came up to the injured man who in my opinion was a ‘dead’ man’, was cuffed with his hands behind his back and no attempt by the officer to determine if the man was alive or dead. No apparent life saving aid was given to the ‘downed’ man. The man was totally lifeless when the Paramedics arrived on scene. I was absolutely surprised to see that no attempt at aggressive ACLS was engaged. They simply just picked up the body like a ’sack of potatoes’ and hurled him onto the gurney and into the ambulance This was a crime scene…. the crime scene was violated. One of the paramedics who attended to an injured elderly lady said the man was dead. There was a dead man in front of Costco. What nobody is talking about is that there were many many spectators, many like ourselves within just a few feet of the victim when the shots rang out. It seems to me that the greater danger was posed not by the victim but by the police who fired many shots in the vicinity of the innocent public. I agree with you, I hope the media and your friends family can get their hands of Costco’s Camera’s which will indeed tell the rest of the story. Also it must be confirmed whether the second gun supposedly found by the victims side was indeed also registered to him as a licensed conceal and carry.

ccwinstructor

Centurion
Where are the tapes?

According to a first hand eye witness story, Scott was executed by the cops from the sounds of it.

My wife and I were 7 or 8 feet away from the shooting as were the police. We were to the suspects immediate right. We heard and saw the 3 police officers shouting to the man in question to ‘get on your knees’ several times. At that point the man appeared somewhat stunned by the commotion and shouting of the police.

His Right arm went up in a defenseless position and it appeared his left arm appeared to be going up but there was NO gun in his hand. He was taserd and shot at the same time. At no time did the man in question ever raise his voice, shout an obscenity or become confrontational with the police. We saw the disabled man stooping to his right facing us with what appeared to be a bullet wound in his upper chest with blood coming from the wound and immediately his eyes became glossy as he began to convulse. At this point he was no threat to anyone, both hands were in full view of us and there was no gun. As he was down, the police continued to shout ‘put the gun down’ several times…but there was no gun in his hand as we had full vantage point view. The injured man was having agonal respirations, he was down when the second volly of bullets rang out. There was no doubt in question that following the second barrage of bullets the man was dead. His girlfriend was to the back side of us and began to scream…..why did you kill him, he is a military man with a license to carry a concealed weapon. You didn’t need to kill him….you didn’t need to kill him.
An officer then came up to the injured man who in my opinion was a ‘dead’ man’, was cuffed with his hands behind his back and no attempt by the officer to determine if the man was alive or dead. No apparent life saving aid was given to the ‘downed’ man. The man was totally lifeless when the Paramedics arrived on scene. I was absolutely surprised to see that no attempt at aggressive ACLS was engaged. They simply just picked up the body like a ’sack of potatoes’ and hurled him onto the gurney and into the ambulance This was a crime scene…. the crime scene was violated. One of the paramedics who attended to an injured elderly lady said the man was dead. There was a dead man in front of Costco. What nobody is talking about is that there were many many spectators, many like ourselves within just a few feet of the victim when the shots rang out. It seems to me that the greater danger was posed not by the victim but by the police who fired many shots in the vicinity of the innocent public. I agree with you, I hope the media and your friends family can get their hands of Costco’s Camera’s which will indeed tell the rest of the story. Also it must be confirmed whether the second gun supposedly found by the victims side was indeed also registered to him as a licensed conceal and carry.

Cosco apparantly has a lot of video cameras. If the tapes are miraculously all blank, or lost, or missing, I think we can assume that if it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, and has feathers like a duck, it is a duck. I also want to see the video of this man "destroying property". If it is not there, the clerk who filed the false report should be prosecuted.

Lets see the video, then we will have some evidence about who is lying.

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
The eyewitness account seems to indicate that at least one of the cops was trying less-lethal (TASER) at the same time the others were shooting. This would mean that the one cop felt that the situation did not warrant even drawing his gun. That's the guy I would want to put on the witness stand first.

I, too, want to see the video on this, but I won't be surprise to learn that the one camera which would have shown everything was malfunctioning, and the others pointed that way don't give enough detail . . .

However, again from the eyewitness account, it sounds like the "destroying property" bit was false. First, the eyewitness doesn't mention anything about it, and second, you don't usually find a girlfriend with someone going nuts in a store.

You guys in the Sharp End, please keep us up to date on how this plays out.

wrightme

Hopefully there will be security tapes that will answer these questions.

There should be NO DOUBT that security videos are available that will show exactly what happened, IF this LV Sun report is accurate:

Police Capt. Patrick Neville said Costco security personnel called police at 12:47 p.m. after the man began destroying merchandise in the store. After the call, store security noticed the man had a gun and began to evacuate the business, Neville said.
If store security called it in, I would expect them to be following with more than one camera, until the situation was over.

That LV Sun report is also quite at odds with the eyewitness report. Time will tell on this one.

Last edited:

LvstudentDoc

today i was going to walk into a subway off of boulder hwy. open carrying, but when i saw about 4 cops standing in the line i decided even though i have a ccw i didnt even wanna bother with any of their crap so I went to one just down the street on my way home...who knows could have saved my life...this guy probably had it in a serpa holster secure as can be. If he made the mistake of going for his weapon, then its a good shooting, but if these cops just shot for no reason they are going to be in some trouble. If one officer had a taser he had to been within 20ft of the suspect and didnt feel the need for lethal force unless he knew the other officers were giving lethal cover. Something smells bad here hopefully they made the correct choice and the guy pulled the gun, because if not i am going to loose even more confidence in metro and we will all have to watch our backs when exercising our God given right to bear arms.

gmijackso

...If he made the mistake of going for his weapon, then its a good shooting, but if these cops just shot for no reason they are going to be in some trouble. If one officer had a taser he had to been within 20ft of the suspect and didnt feel the need for lethal force unless he knew the other officers were giving lethal cover. Something smells bad here hopefully they made the correct choice and the guy pulled the gun, because if not i am going to loose even more confidence in metro and we will all have to watch our backs when exercising our God given right to bear arms.

My personal concern is that the most likely scenario is that he was being ordered by each of the officers to do different things. I've seen it happen. One guy telling you to put your hands up, one guy telling you to lay on the ground, and another telling you to put your hands on your head, which do you do? In this incident, I fear that one officer may have been telling him to drop the weapon, while another tells him to put his hands up. If the weapon was still holstered, he may have reached for it to disarm as ordered, and been shot first by the officer telling him to put his hands up, the others then follow suit not knowing who fired first (or to clean up the mess whatever).

I have little fear of the repercussions of a stop, be it being detained, or arrested, or whatever. I know when I'm in the right, that I will (hopefully) prevail in the end. This falls apart if the officers are on a "shoot first ask later" mission. You have to be alive to prevail in the end.

I have no "inside" knowledge of this event, and as such my thoughts are just that and should be taken as such.

kwikrnu

Banned
tag

One of the reasons the State suspended my Tennessee handgun carry permit was because they said I open carried in Costco and became irrate. I tried to subpoena the video and Costco says it does not exist. I wonder what type of system they have.

This is a good reason to wear a bullet resistant vest. The cops are too trigger happy. It is a civil liberty to carry a firearm. Are cops going to start shooting people for going to church?

Gordie

tag

This is a good reason to wear a bullet resistant vest. The cops are too trigger happy. It is a civil liberty to carry a firearm. Are cops going to start shooting people for going to church?

A vest may be ok in Tennessee, but in Vegas at this time of year, you would be in greater danger of heat stroke than police gun fire.

kootsoup

I just added this article and tread to the "Defensive Carry" web forum so that it will get more attention. I have a feeling that this is going to get messy for Las Vegas.

gmijackso

I expect if the "tapes don't exist" that they'll claim that they don't record anything. That the cameras are live feed only to aid in the location and prevention of shoplifting.

merle

Holy crap.

kootsoup

Somehow I/we need to get more news coverage of this, because without it, anything can be said about this fellow and there will be no consequences.

It seems to me that this individual worked to hard in life and for his country for the public just say "oh well.. he shouldn't of had a gun". I think there needs to be a thorough investigation. The type of investigation you can only get when the public is pushing for answers.

SCJeffro

Face to Face tonight (Ch 3) was on CCW, OC and Metro's training to deal with them... There was an ACLU Attorney that was a GREAT rep for OC! all in all it was very positive for OC and not so positive for Metro. The "Experts" were the ACLU Attorney (Very PRO OC) and Bob Irwin (the owner of The Gun Store) who was a COMPLETE TOOL and a huge waste of time...

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Face to Face tonight (Ch 3) was on CCW, OC and Metro's training to deal with them... There was an ACLU Attorney that was a GREAT rep for OC! all in all it was very positive for OC and not so positive for Metro.

Do you have a link to this?