• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Officer invol. shooting

timf343

Campaign Veteran
Face to Face tonight (Ch 3) was on CCW, OC and Metro's training to deal with them... There was an ACLU Attorney that was a GREAT rep for OC! all in all it was very positive for OC and not so positive for Metro. The "Experts" were the ACLU Attorney (Very PRO OC) and Bob Irwin (the owner of The Gun Store) who was a COMPLETE TOOL and a huge waste of time...

Yeah, Bob Irwin is a tool. Gun store is also featured here:

http://www.fox5vegas.com/video/24251130/index.html

He says with no uncertainty that carrying into a store with a sign posted is "a trespassing charge". Dolt.

Mudjack

Banned
Not enough facts out on this incident just yet to make a rational conclusion.

Another interesting tidbit to add here is that one of the police involved in the shooting was aquitted after being involved in an earlier questionable shooting. Hmmmmm...

But anyway I look at this incident it comes clear to me that all concerned totally screwed up.

Last edited:

greengum

I was just reading through the comments over at the sun's website about this story. I then had to get a baggie and fill it with ice to get rid of the swelling on my forehead from banging it on my desk! :p

There is a lot I have to say about this subject but I will save it for Saturday on the strip!!!!

wrightme

Information is conflicting so far. Since it is reported that Costco was evacuated prior to LE entry, how can someone be an eyewitness from about 6-10 feet away, without being aware if it before LE get there?

LV Officer recorded in 911 call
The Saturday shooting at the store near Charleston Boulevard and the Las Vegas Beltway took place after employees ordered an evacuation. As customers streamed out of the store, officers waited with their guns drawn for Scott to exit. Police said that when three officers confronted him, Scott refused orders and instead withdrew a handgun and pointed it at them.

Dozens of people witnessed the event, and many disagree on whether Scott pulled a gun and aimed it at officers, as police have alleged. The Review-Journal has interviewed six witnesses. Two claim to have seen Scott pull out a gun, and one of the two said it was in a holster.

kwikrnu

Banned
This situation makes me wonder if carrying a handgun permit gun badge may have saved the man's life. It may have slowed the events which led to the shooting. A lot of people don't like them, but I would bet the man would still be alive if he wore one.

wrightme

This situation makes me wonder if carrying a handgun permit gun badge may have saved the man's life. It may have slowed the events which led to the shooting. A lot of people don't like them, but I would bet the man would still be alive if he wore one.

That would depend upon which version of events is the actual. So far, if he was innocently shopping with a holstered firearm and did no aggressive or suspect acts, you may have a point. But if it is as some other versions show, where he was acting erratically, and unholstered his firearm, a badge of some sort would not change the outcome.

For now, we do not know what happened.

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
That would depend upon which version of events is the actual. So far, if he was innocently shopping with a holstered firearm and did no aggressive or suspect acts, you may have a point. But if it is as some other versions show, where he was acting erratically, and unholstered his firearm, a badge of some sort would not change the outcome.

It might have. So far, it seems that the cops weren't all on the same page (one with a TASER, the others with pistols), and the glance of a badge would have likely slowed down their response enough to let them get it under control a different way. Cops worry about being MWAGed in a strange town where they aren't known on sight, where something like this might happen to them, so a flash of gold on the belt would have changed their initial impression of the situation. This would only work if the badge were the right shape and size to appear to be official LEO of some sort.

IF REPEAT IF he drew and pointed it their way, no badge would have saved him. If he didn't have his hand on the pistol in a threatening way, a "CCW brassard" probably would have, simply by giving the cops time to think.

I'm thinking that a "star in a ring" design could be modified -- say, to 8 points -- so that it would not look like someone was impersonating a peace officer, but would give that couple of seconds of "waitaminnit" in a cop's mind.

Last edited:

greengum

I also saw a different interview on T.V. Then I read this about the video "Barbara Morgan at Metro PD claims Metro contacted Costco, but Costco was "having trouble" pulling them up from their off-site location due to a "glitch". I understand the investigation is still ongoing but if this is a cover-up I really hope the gun community as a whole takes action.

Last edited:

Remmy

I also saw a different interview on T.V. Then I read this about the video "Barbara Morgan at Metro PD claims Metro contacted Costco, but Costco was "having trouble" pulling them up from their off-site location due to a "glitch". I understand the investigation is still ongoing but if this is a cover-up I really hope the gun community as a whole takes action.

Its quite humorous to find out that costco miraculously has some "glitch" that prevents them from giving up the video, when by my fractured memory Metro has already made statements that they have seen the video and collaborates the officers statements that scott drew down on them. Im sorry but "glitches" just dont happen conveniently like this. If any suit is brought about costco needs to be named for negligence.

Nevada carrier

I think Metro is going to bet a serious black eye and the three metro cops that murdered Scott are in for prison time. I've decided that this was a murder, not a case of an officer shooting in defense of his own life. This is not a case where their victim had a questionable past that will get Metro off the hook; this time they shot someone who was a bona fide, genuine good guy. Her served his country honorably, exercised his rights and lived a life as an model of citizenship and in return the very people charged with protecting him shot him as if he was a low-life Pimp, gang member or crack addict.

Now they have a family that is substantially motivated and financially able to bring these metro officers to justice and clear their son's name. In the video interview of his father, you can see that this man is not going to rest until those responsible for this injustice are held accountable. Eric Scott did not deserve to die.

Last edited:

flagellum

I saw this posted somewhere:

Services have been scheduled for 3 p.m. Saturday at Las Vegas Country Club at 3000 Joe W. Brown Drive, near Desert Inn and Paradise roads. The services are open to the public.

I think I may attend, anyone else want to go?

Dangerfish

There was another deadly Officer involved shooting last night around 10pm in front of my buddies house.

Last edited: