• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT: WA hands free law does not apply to police

amlevin

Didn't Mythbusters do an episode on driving while buzzed VS driving while on the phone?

Yes. If I recall the episode correctly, those on the cell phone did worse than those that were drunk (degally).

Why is it that so many feel that THEY are imune from the problems caused by drunks, and people using cell phones while driving. All the studies must have focused on inferior subjects, not the ones that think that THEY will never have a problem.

The reason their is a law now that allows people to be stopped as a primary infraction is that too many didn't get the message. If you aren't paying full attention to your driving you are a hazard. That goes for phones, joking with your passengers, or just playing with yourself.

devildoc5

Show me a study, provide a link. I have read several, AMA, Harvard and have seen no conclusive evidence that it is a more prevalent cause of injury or death that needs special treatment under the law. All of the other things you mentioned, when actively engaged in behind the wheel of a moving vehicle are distracting and dangerous. I agree on that point. However, there are allready laws in place that are enforcebable regarding poor driving.

AS to your statement "its JUST AS BAD AS BEING DRUNK!" That statement is patently false. When someone is drunk, they are a risk for the entire trip home in their vehicle. While someone is talking on the phone they are not a risk for the entire trip, the risk is decidedly different when they are dialing, texting and handling the phone versus when they are talking on the phone.

This is a law that serves no purpose, as you stated there is allready a law in place and this is a direct attack on liberty.

Just to play devils advocate here there was an episode of Effin Science that tested the drunk/texting driving conundrum. They actually discovered that DD is LESS hazardous than texting. Not sure what episode it was but it was just on a few nights ago....

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Just to play devils advocate here there was an episode of Effin Science that tested the drunk/texting driving conundrum. They actually discovered that DD is LESS hazardous than texting. Not sure what episode it was but it was just on a few nights ago....

Ok, I will entertain an infringement on liberty for a moment.....ok moment's up!

(I am sure this is an unscientific test, no control group, no expert group)

Did they test skilled LEO and professional drivers (i.e. truck drivers, salesmen, etc)?

Or was it an anecdotal sampling of a few people? (This is the media hype I am talking about).

LEO do this over and over and develop a skill, so do professional sales people.

Metalhead47

Ok, I will entertain an infringement on liberty for a moment.....ok moment's up!

(I am sure this is an unscientific test, no control group, no expert group)

Did they test skilled LEO and professional drivers (i.e. truck drivers, salesmen, etc)?

Or was it an anecdotal sampling of a few people? (This is the media hype I am talking about).

LEO do this over and over and develop a skill, so do professional sales people.

Do you ever drive, man? And see these idiots on the road for yourself? If you don't believe the "media hype" then how bout your own eyes? The human brain is barely capable of operating a vehicle at highway speeds with NO distractions.

And for the record, my sig says:

The burned child is dangerous
with fire that separates from the life
A hot cry
Bang bang
Fire at will!

Google is generally a piss-poor way to get an accurate translation :p

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
I drive...

and I see people on the road. Do I see carnage? NO. Do I see drifting, yes. There is a law for that.

I do think the law as it was prior to this law was adequate.

I was a salesman for many years. I had one of the original Motorola brick phones...

What I see is a few people who suck at driving and using their phone.

As a salesman, I was pretty darn good at being on the phone, talking, looking through paperwork and driving. Probably hundreds of thousands of miles and no accidents. Again you are limiting the liberty of all for the actions of a few. Because I see a few gun owners at the range with poor handling techniques should I change the law to limit the liberty of all? No, their are laws in place. Will people die, yes. Regardless of the law people will die, people will ignore the law. Have you read the new law? Their are so many loopholes in the law it will fail. As long as your phone is in hands free mode, you can do with it what you want.

"The human brain is barely capable of operating a vehicle at highway speeds with NO distractions."

Really? What evidence do you provide? None. That sir is an utterly false and ridiculous statement. hundreds of millions of safe highway speed miles are logged every year in America, with a multitude of distractions. Speed is the single largest factor concerning accidents. (Driver behavior)

I have driven a vehicle over 200 mph, that sir is a challenge. Driving at 60 or 70 is a common occurrence, distractions should be taken into account with your skill level.

Do you ever drive, man? And see these idiots on the road for yourself? If you don't believe the "media hype" then how bout your own eyes? The human brain is barely capable of operating a vehicle at highway speeds with NO distractions.

And for the record, my sig says:

A hot cry
Bang bang
Fire at will!

Google is generally a piss-poor way to get an accurate translation :p

Jeff Hayes

The problem with this and many other things today is that everybody is being forced down to the lowest common denominator. Most people in our society have stopped trying to reach the top via personal excellance. The ones that do excell are protrayed as gluttons, greedy or kiss asses. This is how great societys become has been societys, we are well on our way to becoming a second class country. The good news is if you are an achiver you will own the world in short order.

Laws like this really do nothing to protect society but just let the sheep feel good about it.

Deanf said it best mind your own business until you are harmed, sorry Dean I ad libbed a little.

Son_of_Perdition

A hot cry
Bang bang
Fire at will!

what is that? a Deutsch Haiku. talk about a clash of cultures.

As for staying on topic in regards to the off topic OP. People put in a position of power. Or rather, perceived power as the police are. Those people feel a sense of entitlement or exemption to the rules in which they themselves are entrusted to enforce. I challenge any LEO on the board here to disagree. Thank about it for a moment. Police California stop all the time. I have never seen one pull up to a sidewalk from a parking lot and stop, pull forward up to the street curb and come to a complete stop once again before proceeding onto a road. I myself once received a ticket for this in High school for not doing the same, so it always stuck in my mind as I see police not even take the time to stop one of the two times when entering a road way. This is not bashing. just honest observation.

Son_of_Perdition

GoGo, that Brick phone is so sweet!
I want to find one of them at a pawn shop and rip the guts out of a cheep pre-pay phone and rewire it so I could sport that around town with a pair of tight white shorts, a pink collared shirt and some pork chop side burns. I know what I'm doing for Halloween.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
I think mine may be in a box somewhere in the house...lol

GoGo, that Brick phone is so sweet!
I want to find one of them at a pawn shop and rip the guts out of a cheep pre-pay phone and rewire it so I could sport that around town with a pair of tight white shorts, a pink collared shirt and some pork chop side burns. I know what I'm doing for Halloween.

madrevar

and I see people on the road. Do I see carnage? NO. Do I see drifting, yes. There is a law for that.

I was a salesman for many years. I had one of the original Motorola brick phones...

As a salesman, I was pretty darn good at being on the phone, talking, looking through paperwork and driving. Probably hundreds of thousands of miles and no accidents. Again you are limiting the liberty of all for the actions of a few. Because I see a few gun owners at the range with poor handling techniques should I change the law to limit the liberty of all? No, their are laws in place. Will people die, yes. Regardless of the law people will die, people will ignore the law. Have you read the new law? Their are so many loopholes in the law it will fail. As long as your phone is in hands free mode, you can do with it what you want.

"The human brain is barely capable of operating a vehicle at highway speeds with NO distractions."

Really? What evidence do you provide? None. That sir is an utterly false and ridiculous statement. hundreds of millions of safe highway speed miles are logged every year in America, with a multitude of distractions. Speed is the single largest factor concerning accidents. (Driver behavior)

I have driven a vehicle over 200 mph, that sir is a challenge. Driving at 60 or 70 is a common occurrence, distractions should be taken into account with your skill level.

Thank You! Just friggin' thank you! Thats all!

Metalhead47

Maybe you got lucky *that time* (however many times) with your talking, reading, and driving, but every single time YOU ENDANGERED SOMEONE ELSE. Whether you want to acknowledge that fact or not is irrelevant. Plenty of people are dead today because the distracted fool behind the wheel didn't get lucky that time. By your (and Deanf's) reasoning it's perfectly acceptable to stand on a street corner and shoot your gun in random directions, just as long as you don't hit anyone this time. I didn't say the new law was perfect, but it's a step in the right direction, and it's better than nothing. At least now there will be some enforcement.

Neither false nor ridiculous, simple evolutionary fact. I read this a long time ago (sorry, I don't keep a journal of everything I read to cite it to off-topic internet forum threads). The human brain evolved to process information at walking or running speeds. And since we've only been exceeding those speeds en mass without intelligent assistance* for less than a hundred years, evolution has hardly had a chance to catch up.

*horses are generally smart enough not to run into things at full gallop.

Aaron1124

I don't see what the hassle would be to require hands free headsets for emergency vehicles. That would seem to eliminate any controversy by citizens who feel that emergency vehicles are being favored.

Son_of_Perdition

Song lyrics, I'll find something better sooner or later.:uhoh:

That's cool. I mean no disrespect by questioning. A friendly heads up though. Not that there is anything wrong with posting quotes' in German. But sometimes racists use white power Nazi quotes and try to slip it in on people on different boards. Someone might mistakenly assume you are a racist if you have a bunch of German jargon at the end of your post.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
OH boy....

Maybe you got lucky *that time* (however many times) with your talking, reading, and driving, but every single time YOU ENDANGERED SOMEONE ELSE. No, you are confusing luck with an aquired skill. Whether you want to acknowledge that fact or not is irrelevant. Plenty of people are dead today because the distracted fool behind the wheel didn't get lucky that time. By your (and Deanf's) reasoning it's perfectly acceptable to stand on a street corner and shoot your gun in random directions, just as long as you don't hit anyone this time. This is an absurd argument as this is not nor has ever been a common practice. The practice of random shootings on a street corner shows a lack of association with the facts of the matter at hand. I didn't say the new law was perfect, but it's a step in the right direction, (just like all the small reasonable gun laws)and it's better than nothing. At least now there will be some enforcement. (No, the enforcement will go away after the special funding for the summer patrols goes away too.)

Neither false nor ridiculous, simple evolutionary fact. This statement lacks complete credibility (evolution devolves one species from another). I read this a long time ago (sorry, I don't keep a journal of everything I read to cite it to off-topic internet forum threads). (I read that the earth was flat along time ago.)The human brain evolved to process information at walking or running speeds. And since we've only been exceeding those speeds en mass without intelligent assistance* for less than a hundred years, evolution has hardly had a chance to catch up.

*horses are generally smart enough not to run into things at full gallop.

(By the way, I use a blue tooth device while driving)

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
IIRC they don't have to wear a seatbelt either.

You could always get one of these things. Not only for cops, but all of those annoying cell phone yappers who seem to impede progress, in cars and on foot.

http://www.thesignaljammer.com/

bob

with one of these jammers, which I AM going to buy, you can jam the cops BSing on the phone while driving, if you want to. (( dang it, another dropped call, POS phone ))) ...LOL

killchain

If you think they are causing you some sort of direct physical harm by talking on their phone, then sue them in court for damages, otherwise, mind your own business. This goes for all, not just LEO.

Someone else said it, thank you!

And what about those citizens who keep breaking the law, hmm?

You know what I do? I honk at them.