• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT: WA hands free law does not apply to police

o2ryan

I am rolling down Broadway Ave in Spokane Valley tonight on my bike and pull up next to a local Police Officer holding a phone up to his head. I look at him, he looks at me, I hold my hand up to my helmet gesturing "Nice Phone" and he gives me the dirtiest look. The light changes and I follow him for three miles while his right hand is holding his phone to his head and his left hand is hanging out the window. I didn't know "Hands Free" was referring to the steering wheel.

Meanwhile, they are ticketing people left and right around here for doing the same thing.

WTF?

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Virtually all laws exempt LEO...

(2) Subsection (1) of this section does not apply to a person
30 operating:
31 (a) An authorized emergency vehicle, or a tow truck responding to
32 a disabled vehicle;

Read the bill. (Click on the updated link at the top for the new language.)

Last edited:

BobR

IIRC they don't have to wear a seatbelt either.

You could always get one of these things. Not only for cops, but all of those annoying cell phone yappers who seem to impede progress, in cars and on foot.

http://www.thesignaljammer.com/

bob

Last edited:

Beretta92FSLady

I have pulled beside officers driving and they are on their computer. All that hype about talking on cell phones and driving without seat belts being so dangerous...obviously not that dangerous.

Dave_pro2a

This should be an OSHA issue.

It is not a safe work environment for police to talk on a hand held cell phone while driving.

It is not a safe work environment for police to not wear a safety belt while driving a vehicle.

In fact since they drive 'commercially,' and often have passnagers in their vehicle, this could be considered a vital public safety issue too.

OrangeIsTrouble

I find this thread silly. Don't you know the police can do anything? Even with non emergency calls, they just light up for a couple seconds to pass red lights. You silly citizen. :)

amlevin

I have no problem with LEO being exempt.

Some even think they are exempt from using common sense and good judgement.

If they need to use the phone in order to get their job done, fine. If they are just talking with their "buds" to set up a coffee break or lunch destination, then they should be held to the same standards as the rest of us. FWIW, why can't they use hands-free devices? Sure see enough of them being used on the Reality TV shows like "Cops", etc. Maybe this provision will be removed after a few LEO's run over a pedestrian or two, rear-end a couple of stopped vehicles, or even run off the road while farting around with their phone.

Aaron1124

Some even think they are exempt from using common sense and good judgement.

If they need to use the phone in order to get their job done, fine. If they are just talking with their "buds" to set up a coffee break or lunch destination, then they should be held to the same standards as the rest of us.

The problem with that is you can't prove if they're using their phone for official purposes or not... so they just use the blanket law to exempt them. I have no idea why they don't issue hands free devices, or at least require them when driving.

deanf

If you think they are causing you some sort of direct physical harm by talking on their phone, then sue them in court for damages, otherwise, mind your own business. This goes for all, not just LEO.

Metalhead47

Your not seriously going to fall for the media hype and want to control the free flow of information, commerce and liberty are you?

What other (and there are plenty) activities would you like to control while people are driving?

Dude, are you serious or am I just missing the sarcasm? I don't need the media hype. I'm on the road 8+ hours a day trying to keep my passengers from being hurt or killed by these asshats who can't get the damn phone out of their ear for 20 freaking minutes. This has nothing to do with liberty, it's about RESPONSIBILITY. No one, let me repeat that, NO ONE can safely operate a motor vehicle while using a cell phone! How many studies do you need to see before you'll believe its JUST AS BAD AS BEING DRUNK! People who use their phones while driving are a CLEAR AND PRESENT DANGER TO EVERYONE AROUND THEM, just like running down the street randomly firing a gun around would be, and therefore NEEDS LEGAL RESTRICTION.

What else needs to be restricted while driving? EVERYTHING. Reading, shaving, fixing your makeup, eating lunch, yelling at the kids in the back seat, playing with the radio, EVERYTHING. Drivers need to concentrate on DRIVING. Now if we had a nice, concise, distracted driving statute THAT WAS ACTUALLY ENFORCED we wouldn't need a cell phone-specific law. But until we do have such an enforced statute, or another one that lets me legally ram these fools and take them off the road myself, I'll continue to support the talking/texting law.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Zero sarcasm.

Show me a study, provide a link. I have read several, AMA, Harvard and have seen no conclusive evidence that it is a more prevalent cause of injury or death that needs special treatment under the law. All of the other things you mentioned, when actively engaged in behind the wheel of a moving vehicle are distracting and dangerous. I agree on that point. However, there are allready laws in place that are enforcebable regarding poor driving.

AS to your statement "its JUST AS BAD AS BEING DRUNK!" That statement is patently false. When someone is drunk, they are a risk for the entire trip home in their vehicle. While someone is talking on the phone they are not a risk for the entire trip, the risk is decidedly different when they are dialing, texting and handling the phone versus when they are talking on the phone.

This is a law that serves no purpose, as you stated there is allready a law in place and this is a direct attack on liberty.

Dude, are you serious or am I just missing the sarcasm? I don't need the media hype. I'm on the road 8+ hours a day trying to keep my passengers from being hurt or killed by these asshats who can't get the damn phone out of their ear for 20 freaking minutes. This has nothing to do with liberty, it's about RESPONSIBILITY. No one, let me repeat that, NO ONE can safely operate a motor vehicle while using a cell phone! How many studies do you need to see before you'll believe its JUST AS BAD AS BEING DRUNK! People who use their phones while driving are a CLEAR AND PRESENT DANGER TO EVERYONE AROUND THEM, just like running down the street randomly firing a gun around would be, and therefore NEEDS LEGAL RESTRICTION.

What else needs to be restricted while driving? EVERYTHING. Reading, shaving, fixing your makeup, eating lunch, yelling at the kids in the back seat, playing with the radio, EVERYTHING. Drivers need to concentrate on DRIVING. Now if we had a nice, concise, distracted driving statute THAT WAS ACTUALLY ENFORCED we wouldn't need a cell phone-specific law. But until we do have such an enforced statute, or another one that lets me legally ram these fools and take them off the road myself, I'll continue to support the talking/texting law.