Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 39

Thread: Stephen Colbert Offers Handguns to Guests

  1. #1
    State Researcher Bill Starks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Nortonville, KY, USA
    Posts
    4,291

    Stephen Colbert Offers Handguns to Guests

    http://www.seattlepi.com/tvguide/423...tml?source=rss

    <snip>
    Second Amendment rights? Handguns for the people? For Stephen Colbert's guests, sure.
    On Thursday's The Colbert Report, the funnyman handed out handguns to his guests during a discussion about the Supreme Court's decision to overturn Chicago's handgun ban.
    "You know what? I'm a terrible host. Would you like a gun?" Colbert asked Ilya Shapiro of the Cato Institute — which filed a brief on behalf of gun owners in the Chicago case — before pulling out a gun.
    "Doesn't that make you feel comfortable?" Colbert asked.
    Watch clips from The Colbert Report
    "It does. Not that I feel that threatened by you, Stephen," Shapiro quipped.
    Who should feel threatened, Colbert said, was his other guest, Jackie Hilly, the executive director of New Yorkers Against Gun Violence.
    "Would you like a gun, too?" he pressed.
    "No, thanks. I'm fine without one," Hilly said. "I'm actually very safe without one."

  2. #2
    Regular Member Brimstone Baritone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Leeds, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    786
    "No personal rocket launchers."

    That's gun regulation I think we can agree with. It's kinda sad that even the guest that was on our side was kind of a flake. But hey, he's a lawyer, right?

  3. #3
    Regular Member simmonsjoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mattaponi, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    1,664

    Cool Who's to say what's insane

    "I'm on Xanax because I'm anxious your gonna take away my gun."


    TO VIOLENCE POLICY CENTER BITCH 'JACKIE'
    "I'll tell you who should feel threatened, you should..."

    "Would you like a gun? you might need one."

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Henderson, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    63
    Did anyone notice that when Stephen asked that lady why she didn't want a gun she said because "she loves her family"? What a *******..

  5. #5
    Regular Member simmonsjoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mattaponi, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    1,664
    Quote Originally Posted by kootsoup View Post
    Did anyone notice that when Stephen asked that lady why she didn't want a gun she said because "she loves her family"? What a *******..
    That would involve listening to what that bitch was saying. She really said that?

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    UGANDA
    Posts
    23
    did anyone realize the whole reason Colbert gave everyone a gun was to subliminaly illustrate the problem in America of how easy it is for anyone and everyone obtain a firearm?

    Of course forum members let that one fly completely over their heads and criticize that "bitch" for not wanting a handgun. Please, anyone that could not pick up on the satirical pretenses behind that Colbert stunt does not possess the IQ to be toting a firearm around.
    Last edited by EG&G Technical Services Employee; 07-12-2010 at 01:17 PM.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    NOVA
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Pregnant AIDS View Post
    did anyone realize the whole reason Colbert gave everyone a gun was to subliminaly illustrate the problem in America of how easy it is for anyone and everyone obtain a firearm?

    Of course forum members let that one fly completely over their heads and criticize that "bitch" for not wanting a handgun.
    I don't think they realize that Stephen Colbert is a "character" mocking the right.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    UGANDA
    Posts
    23
    I mean with most of these members having the proverbial "heads up their asses" syndrome, do you really expect them to see anything except black and white? The idea of a good joke to these people is toting firearms to dinners and cracking the most lame jokes about their guns while giving honest business owners gripe about their second Amendment and stomping their feet about how they are all butthurt that guns aren't allowed on airplanes. Miserable
    Last edited by EG&G Technical Services Employee; 07-12-2010 at 02:36 PM.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Henderson, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    63
    First off.. both of you Trolls are idiots..

    Second, of course we understand that he is mocking the "right".

    Third, go troll somewhere else.

    Forth, you need to listen to opposite opinions in order to make an education decision.
    Last edited by kootsoup; 07-12-2010 at 02:57 PM.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    UGANDA
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by kootsoup View Post
    First off.. both of you Trolls are idiots..

    Second, of course we understand that he is mocking the "right".

    Third, go troll somewhere else.

    Forth, you need to listen to opposite opinions in order to make an education decision.
    An education decision? Like where I might go to grad school? Or an educated decision, as in a decision you were never taught how to make?

    And I do listen to differing viewpoints, thats how I am able to make educated decisions. Do you really believe I am as uneducated as you are, soaking up the extreme right viewpoint and interpreting it as the law of the land? When you can form coherent sentences, then, and only then, will I entertain your sophomoric name calling. Calling me a "troll" simply does nothing but reinforce your inability to digest and formulate a tactful response to my assertions. It is almost as if my different viewpoint brands me a "troll". Ever heard of freedom of speech, its the Amendment before the one that you have let shape your life. If anything, you should praise me exercising the First Amendment, because a right not exercised is a right lost! I feel like branding people as trolls and disregarding intelligent input because of differing viewpoints is a somewhat communist, narrow-minded train of thought. Care to rebut? And please, reply in an adult manner not riddled with spelling errors and name calling.
    Last edited by EG&G Technical Services Employee; 07-12-2010 at 03:28 PM.

  11. #11
    Regular Member Bikenut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Saginaw, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,756
    Quote Originally Posted by Pregnant AIDS View Post
    An education decision? Like where I might go to grad school? Or an educated decision, as in a decision you were never taught how to make?

    And I do listen to differing viewpoints, thats how I am able to make educated decisions. Do you really believe I am as uneducated as you are, soaking up the extreme right viewpoint and interpreting it as the law of the land? When you can form coherent sentences, then, and only then, will I entertain your sophomoric name calling. Calling me a "troll" simply does nothing but reinforce your inability to digest and formulate a tactful response to my assertions. It is almost as if my different viewpoint brands me a "troll". Ever heard of freedom of speech, its the Amendment before the one that you have let shape your life. If anything, you should praise me exercising the First Amendment, because a right not exercised is a right lost! I feel like branding people as trolls and disregarding intelligent input because of differing viewpoints is a somewhat communist, narrow-minded train of thought. Care to rebut? And please, reply in an adult manner not riddled with spelling errors and name calling.
    He who has the elitist desire to elevate himself above others always resorts to insults and ridicule. Typical Leftist Saul Alinsky tactics.

    From:

    http://www.crossroad.to/Quotes/communism/alinsky.htm

    Tactics:

    Rule #5. "Ridicule is man's most potent weapon. It is almost impossible to counteract ridicule. Also it infuriates the opposition, which then reacts to your advantage."

    Just another Leftist

    FAIL
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    He who has the elitist desire to elevate himself above others always resorts to insults and ridicule. Typical Leftist Saul Alinsky tactics.

    From:

    http://www.crossroad.to/Quotes/communism/alinsky.htm

    Tactics:

    Rule #5. "Ridicule is man's most potent weapon. It is almost impossible to counteract ridicule. Also it infuriates the opposition, which then reacts to your advantage."

    Just another Leftist

    FAIL
    This new board has a feature that the old one did not: Ignore.

    We had two pretty vocal trolls just before the transition. They have since disappeared. I suspect it is because we can now hit the "Ignore" button on trolls, so they cannot succeed in their attempts to disrupt the goings-on.

  13. #13
    Regular Member Bikenut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Saginaw, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,756
    Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    This new board has a feature that the old one did not: Ignore.

    We had two pretty vocal trolls just before the transition. They have since disappeared. I suspect it is because we can now hit the "Ignore" button on trolls, so they cannot succeed in their attempts to disrupt the goings-on.
    I am aware of the "ignore" feature. But, while that feature tends to cut down on my personal annoyance level, it does nothing to counter the Leftist drivel that other folks.. who may be new to this whole concept of having "rights"... will be reading. The battle isn't for the Leftist to convert those who already understand the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.... the battle is for the mind of the person who doesn't understand just yet. That is the mind the Leftist hopes to reach by ridiculing those of us who do understand.

    And, in my opinion, it is imperative, that "we the people" counter the propaganda lies spewed by "them the Leftist elitists" on every front at every opportunity. Because if we don't offer the truth to expose the lies.... the lies win.
    Last edited by Bikenut; 07-12-2010 at 04:04 PM.
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    I am aware of the "ignore" feature. But, while that feature tends to cut down on my personal annoyance level, it does nothing to counter the Leftist drivel that other folks.. who may be new to this whole concept of having "rights"... will be reading. The battle isn't for the Leftist to convert those who already understand the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.... the battle is for the mind of the person who doesn't understand just yet. That is the mind the Leftist hopes to reach by ridiculing those of us who do understand.

    And, in my opinion, it is imperative, that "we the people" counter the propaganda lies spewed by "them the Leftist elitists" on every front at every opportunity. Because if we don't offer the truth to expose the lies.... the lies win.
    I hear ya. I replied to it once. It immediately established that it was not interested in an honest exchange of ideas. To me, it wasn't worth another reply. Feel free to deal with it how you decide is best. I strongly believe in Liberty.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Henderson, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    63
    Thanks guys.. I didn't know about the ignore feature, plus I was trying to physically ignore them but I couldn't help myself

  16. #16
    Regular Member simmonsjoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mattaponi, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    1,664

    Thumbs up Love the use of 'it.'

    Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    I hear ya. I replied to it once. It immediately established that it was not interested in an honest exchange of ideas. To me, it wasn't worth another reply. Feel free to deal with it how you decide is best. I strongly believe in Liberty.

  17. #17
    Regular Member simmonsjoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mattaponi, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    1,664

    Observation fail.

    Quote Originally Posted by xd40compact View Post
    I don't think they realize that Stephen Colbert is a "character" mocking the right.
    I wondered about this at first. Then I watched it, 3 times.

    You need to watch a little closer. Colbert repeatedly interrupted Jackie. throughout the bit.
    Even more telling is the handshaking at the end. Colbert and the lawyer shook hands and warmly. Colbert turned around to Jackie and they were leaning away from each other. It was very obvious they didn't want to touch one another.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Eastern Shore, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    23
    I was not very amused with that video clip. He sounds like a big flaming anti to me.

    I like how that feminist said she would never carry a gun for any reason. I just hope she never has to regret living by that statement. Just because she is terrified of an inanimate object doesn't mean everyone else is.

    I don't understand anti's.

  19. #19
    Regular Member Brimstone Baritone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Leeds, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    786
    I don't know if he's an anti but he probably is. I was horrified by his lack of muzzle control and the fact that his finger was resting on the trigger the whole time. He was the epitome of a careless gun owner, and the audience just ate it up.

  20. #20
    Regular Member simmonsjoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mattaponi, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    1,664

    Question Why do people see anti's everywhere.

    Quote Originally Posted by mcdonalk View Post
    I don't know if he's an anti but he probably is. I was horrified by his lack of muzzle control and the fact that his finger was resting on the trigger the whole time. He was the epitome of a careless gun owner, and the audience just ate it up.
    You do realize it was a blank firing 'starter pistol,' right?

  21. #21
    Regular Member 1245A Defender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    north mason county, Washington, USA
    Posts
    4,381

    Oh he has muzzle control alright!!

    Quote Originally Posted by mcdonalk View Post
    I don't know if he's an anti but he probably is. I was horrified by his lack of muzzle control and the fact that his finger was resting on the trigger the whole time. He was the epitome of a careless gun owner, and the audience just ate it up.
    several times he has shot members of the audiance with "Sweetness".
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

    “If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

    Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

    All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

  22. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    USA BROTHER!
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by mcdonalk View Post
    I don't know if he's an anti but he probably is. I was horrified by his lack of muzzle control and the fact that his finger was resting on the trigger the whole time. He was the epitome of a careless gun owner, and the audience just ate it up.
    YOU ARE THE GUY I WANT HANDLING GUNS IN PUBLIC

  23. #23
    Regular Member Brimstone Baritone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Leeds, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    786
    Quote Originally Posted by simmonsjoe View Post
    You do realize it was a blank firing 'starter pistol,' right?
    And all the other replies directed at me.

    I have seen "Sweetness" before, and yes I realize that he wouldn't be swinging a loaded gun around or offering loaded guns to his guests. Not if he wanted to keep his show, anyway. I just think it's stupid that someone on TV can't portray themselves as pro-gun without acting like someone who would be thrown off a range. As funny as her reaction to the offered gun, it is counter productive that she may have been genuinely frightened by the way he acted. Or, you could go the conspiracy route and say they planned the whole thing. Which do you prefer?

    Personally, I try very hard to act in a professional manner when I handle firearms. Sorry if that makes me sound like a dork.

  24. #24
    Regular Member simmonsjoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mattaponi, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    1,664
    You aren't a TV show. Your in real life.

    People say he is anti. I say he is a for-profit entertainer. He is someone who listens to his audience. He understands his audience wasn't laughing at his skit. They were cheering. Of course there was dramatization and characterization, it was a SKIT. That doesn't mean it was negative.

    Hopefully some people in Hollywood are starting to realize that having a minority laugh at you is no where NEAR as powerful as having mainstream America cheer you.

  25. #25
    Regular Member Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Grennsboro NC
    Posts
    5,358
    Quote Originally Posted by simmonsjoe View Post
    You aren't a TV show. Your in real life.

    People say he is anti. I say he is a for-profit entertainer. He is someone who listens to his audience. He understands his audience wasn't laughing at his skit. They were cheering. Of course there was dramatization and characterization, it was a SKIT. That doesn't mean it was negative.

    You are missing the point...

    Colbert isn't JUST an entertainer. He is engaged in a VERY subtle and insidious form of "predictive programming" wherein he uses satire to play a buffoon in order to make the "left" think the "right" are ALL like him. Most people don't really grok the sophistication of Colbert's milieu.

    Most folks on the "right" think he's a mean-spirited wanker leftie making fun of them, and most folks on the left think he is oh-so-clever and only see as far as his mean-spirited right-bashing.

    Few realize what he is actually doing, which is programming BOTH sides to believe that the OTHER side is composed of complete idiots. Colbert CAN be funny, but at the root of it, he's just another tool of his evil puppet masters. The complex levels of subtlety in his delivery is the ONLY thing that separates him from the heavy-handed, ham-fisted partisanship of MSNBC and Fox.

    At the heart of it all, he's just another propaganda minister, placed on the screen to stratify, spread disinformation, and foment divisiveness. Sure, he's funny sometimes. Sure he makes some GOOD points occasionally. Sure his social commentary is astute. The true danger of his forked tongue is that it is coated in a thin veneer of truth.


    "the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is to tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger." --Hermann Goering
    Propaganda is propaganda. Sometimes it wears brass knuckles, and sometimes it wears a Brooks Bothers Suit.

    But the hand inside is ALWAYS a fist...
    Last edited by Dreamer; 07-14-2010 at 01:50 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •