• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Stephen Colbert Offers Handguns to Guests

simmonsjoe

Why do people see anti's everywhere.

I don't know if he's an anti but he probably is. I was horrified by his lack of muzzle control and the fact that his finger was resting on the trigger the whole time. He was the epitome of a careless gun owner, and the audience just ate it up.
You do realize it was a blank firing 'starter pistol,' right?

1245A Defender

Oh he has muzzle control alright!!

I don't know if he's an anti but he probably is. I was horrified by his lack of muzzle control and the fact that his finger was resting on the trigger the whole time. He was the epitome of a careless gun owner, and the audience just ate it up.

several times he has shot members of the audiance with "Sweetness".

Brimstone Baritone

You do realize it was a blank firing 'starter pistol,' right?
And all the other replies directed at me.

I have seen "Sweetness" before, and yes I realize that he wouldn't be swinging a loaded gun around or offering loaded guns to his guests. Not if he wanted to keep his show, anyway. I just think it's stupid that someone on TV can't portray themselves as pro-gun without acting like someone who would be thrown off a range. As funny as her reaction to the offered gun, it is counter productive that she may have been genuinely frightened by the way he acted. Or, you could go the conspiracy route and say they planned the whole thing. Which do you prefer?

Personally, I try very hard to act in a professional manner when I handle firearms. Sorry if that makes me sound like a dork.

simmonsjoe

You aren't a TV show. Your in real life.

People say he is anti. I say he is a for-profit entertainer. He is someone who listens to his audience. He understands his audience wasn't laughing at his skit. They were cheering. Of course there was dramatization and characterization, it was a SKIT. That doesn't mean it was negative.

Hopefully some people in Hollywood are starting to realize that having a minority laugh at you is no where NEAR as powerful as having mainstream America cheer you.

Dreamer

You aren't a TV show. Your in real life.

People say he is anti. I say he is a for-profit entertainer. He is someone who listens to his audience. He understands his audience wasn't laughing at his skit. They were cheering. Of course there was dramatization and characterization, it was a SKIT. That doesn't mean it was negative.

You are missing the point...

Colbert isn't JUST an entertainer. He is engaged in a VERY subtle and insidious form of "predictive programming" wherein he uses satire to play a buffoon in order to make the "left" think the "right" are ALL like him. Most people don't really grok the sophistication of Colbert's milieu.

Most folks on the "right" think he's a mean-spirited wanker leftie making fun of them, and most folks on the left think he is oh-so-clever and only see as far as his mean-spirited right-bashing.

Few realize what he is actually doing, which is programming BOTH sides to believe that the OTHER side is composed of complete idiots. Colbert CAN be funny, but at the root of it, he's just another tool of his evil puppet masters. The complex levels of subtlety in his delivery is the ONLY thing that separates him from the heavy-handed, ham-fisted partisanship of MSNBC and Fox.

At the heart of it all, he's just another propaganda minister, placed on the screen to stratify, spread disinformation, and foment divisiveness. Sure, he's funny sometimes. Sure he makes some GOOD points occasionally. Sure his social commentary is astute. The true danger of his forked tongue is that it is coated in a thin veneer of truth.

"the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is to tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger." --Hermann Goering

Propaganda is propaganda. Sometimes it wears brass knuckles, and sometimes it wears a Brooks Bothers Suit.

But the hand inside is ALWAYS a fist...

Last edited:

Dreamer

:uhoh:

Maybe your right, but I hope your reading way too much into it.

Track down a copy of Edward Bernays' "Propaganda", and "Crystalizing Public Opinion", and read them.

And while you're at it, dig up a copy of Carroll Quigley's "The Anglo-American Establishment". Read that one too...

Then watch cable news for a week or two, and do exhaustive internet searches and cross-references on all the "big names" that pop up regularly. Look for financial connections, corporate connections, government and NGO affiliations, colleges, fraternities, and geneology.

Then we'll see who the "conspiracy theorist" is.

It's not a "conspiracy theory" when they publish their plans decades ahead of time.

It's called "predictive programming"...

Last edited:

Shaman

<mini rant>

I usually enjoy Colbert, but Shapiro bothers me in this one.

"you should be able to use that [automatic weapon] on your front porch"
I think it's fine that he's advocating less restriction, but wow. I would much rather he had corrected Stephen on his picture of "militia" in the Second Amendment than give people the mental image of someone using an automatic weapon to "spray bullets" off their front porch- in their neighborhood- "omg think of the children!"

Also, just a pet peeve (and I realize I'm agreeing with Jackie in the clip, but~), but I dislike the phrase "God-given" when discussing the Second Amendment, I think it muddles the argument. The rights in the Constitution are just that- granted by the Constitution. I think a lot of people-even those who aren't expressly anti- more readily mark us with certain images of extremism when the G word is used. I completely realize that a lot of people might think differently and I'm not trying to offend, merely state my opinion.

</mini rant>

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
The rights in the Constitution are just that- granted by the Constitution. ... I completely realize that a lot of people might think differently and I'm not trying to offend, merely state my opinion.
You need to look into the drafting and ratification of the Constitution and why the Bill of Rights was written. In a word, a right granted by a piece of paper will follow that piece of paper into non-existance as the wannabe tyrant is trying just now. Remember that we are endowed with certain unalienable Rights, and that among these many rights are "Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness", AND the Rights enumerated by the First Amendment and the Second Amendment and the Third, et cetera.

Everybody has opinions, their value is from the work, study and sharp thought in their provenance. That is why Thomas Jefferson's opinions are treasured and Interrupter_Knight's are not treasured.

Shaman

the Rights enumerated by the First Amendment and the Second Amendment and the Third, et cetera.

Apologies for the lapse in language, I misspoke- thanks for correcting me. However, the original point of that rant still stands- whether you believe the rights in the Constitution are God-Given or not, the phrase "God-Given" is just an annoyance of mine.

Last edited:

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
Awhether you believe the rights in the Constitution are God-Given or not, the phrase "God-Given" is just an annoyance of mine.
I did not use that phrase and neither did the framers.

The differentiation here is between 'Natural Rights' and 'Legal Rights'. Don't throw the Natural Rights 'baby' out with the Creator's bath-water, unless you can make the argument without resorting to a creator.

I would imagine a shaman-ette...shaman-trix (hmm, what is the feminine of the masculine 'shaman'?) as tight with any number of gods.

Shaman

I did not use that phrase and neither did the framers.

I didn't say that you or the framers used the phrase "God-Given" at all- I was referencing it's use in the Stephen Colbert episode that this thread is about. I also don't really care if you choose to use it, I merely stated that it was a pet peeve of mine that it seems to be used when discussing the Second Amendment.

Also, just a pet peeve (and I realize I'm agreeing with Jackie in the clip, but~), but I dislike the phrase "God-given" when discussing the Second Amendment

As to the feminine form of "Shaman" I don't see why it should matter as my name on this forum is simply, "Shaman." However, it is a unisex term much like "actor" or "police officer." And I'm fine with God and any number of gods, I simply don't like the phrase "God-Given" as it is applied in arguments- where it becomes THE argument.

Last edited:

Slugslinger

Don't realize?

I don't think they realize that Stephen Colbert is a "character" mocking the right.

That would require earplugs. a blindfold, or both for me. Hell, that's why I watch the show. If you can't laugh at yourself and others then what can you do? That's why I still watch the Ponderosa event from time to time!