Thread: The Golden Market Shooting

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

The Golden Market Shooting

Today (July 11) is the anniversary of the Golden Market Shooting in Richmond.
    For those that don't know about it, a man legally carrying an unusual handgun openly, saved the lives of ten people in Richmond's Southside.

I've been working on a video of the event for months. It won't win any awards but tells the story, much in the shooters own words.

This video has been difficult. The shooter is a very private person. I took no video of him and was asked to disguise his voice on what was already very poor audio.

The Richmond Police Department was uncooperative to say the least. The Chief doesn't want people to know they can defend themselves. They went as far as denying they had the only Security tape, then when I called them on it, refused because it was evidence.

This is a preview and even though it's the core of OC, it may be deleted. If so, it will also be on www.oldva.org.

Can't wait to see the whole film! Thanks!

Thanks ODA! It's been an eye opener. In another stage of my life, I spent 5 days a week in that area with people that didn't want to go to jail. I didn't think anything would shock me but the speed that this happened at, and how much it really took to end it was shocking.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Will this become a weekly, prime time show?

Understand that you have another in the works - to be announced.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by ODA 226 View Post
    Can't wait to see the whole film! Thanks!
    Peter, Thank you for your hard work. I look forward to seeing the rest of the story, too!

You provide a treasured service to your fellow Virginians. Never forget that.
    You are a valuable commodity to your friends and neighbors...
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

looking forward to it.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar
    Awesome look forward to seeing the whole thing.

^what they all said.

Can't wait to see it.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by nova View Post
    ^what they all said.

Can't wait to see it.
    Me Too

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Very nicely done! I am anxiously waiting to see more of this.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Three Cheers for Peter

Peter,

You are a true patriot. It is an honor to have you in this forum. I still do not understand why the administrators eliminate so much of what you provide us.

Live free or Die,
    Thundar
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Looks good Don! Let me know when you are ready for me.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Evidence? Isn't the case closed? Can you FOIA it?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Evidence? Isn't the case closed? Can you FOIA it?
    Yes, no and no.
    I did FOIA it.

There is some question if there was a second person involved. A driver. I hit on that in part 1 of the video.

In Virginia, evidence is released at the discretion of the PD. It is exempt from FOIA.
    The Virginia FOIA doesn't differentiate between closed and open. Evidence is always evidence.

There were a lot of copies floating around the PD. The new Chief and you can guess at his reasons, collected them and said if anyone was caught with one he was terminated.

The Detective did not have a copy on the property sheet. I told the City Attorney they were lying and she literally called me while I was on the way to the court house with a writ.

That's when they used the evidence card and after taking it up with the FOIA council, they are correct.
    Last edited by peter nap; 07-12-2010 at 09:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Yes, no and no.
    I did FOIA it.

There is some question if there was a second person involved. A driver. I hit on that in part 1 of the video.

In Virginia, evidence is released at the discretion of the PD. It is exempt from FOIA.
    The Virginia FOIA doesn't differentiate between closed and open. Evidence is always evidence.

There were a lot of copies floating around the PD. The new Chief and you can guess at his reasons, collected them and said if anyone was caught with one he was terminated.

The Detective did not have a copy on the property sheet. I told the City Attorney they were lying and she literally called me while I was on the way to the court house with a writ.

That's when they used the evidence card and after taking it up with the FOIA council, they are correct.
    That is something that needs to be changed for FOIA requests.

Evidence in closed cases not being released is BS.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Well, if past productions are any kind of indicator, the next one will be a "hit" also, with me at least. They just seem to get better and better. Peter, you do an awesome job. Some of my favorite posts are the ones where you have added your artistic skills, and they're probably the ones that I've drawn my friends attention to most of the time (when I'm able to get access), and they sure seem to enjoy them as much as I do.

Thanks for taking the time and making the effort to do all of this. Looking forward to seeing you and everyone else at "Smokey Pig" tonight... as always!!!

sidestreet

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless

Nice promo, Peter.

Looking forward to the completed piece.

Peter, I just discovered this thread after Golden Market was mentioned in another thread.... was there a final version of this documentary video?

Interesting to note... that you were refused FOIA access to the security video, but in an article linked below, PVC mentions watching it.

http://www.ammoland.com/2009/07/19/g...rket-shooting/

Quote Originally Posted by Blk97F150 View Post
    Peter, I just discovered this thread after Golden Market was mentioned in another thread.... was there a final version of this documentary video?

Interesting to note... that you were refused FOIA access to the security video, but in an article linked below, PVC mentions watching it.

http://www.ammoland.com/2009/07/19/g...rket-shooting/
    No, I never completed it. There were a lot of reasons, some I really don't want to talk about but some are:

Very little cooperation.
    Lots of audio problems because of the locations mandated.
    Very little usable video because of mandates.
    Some problems getting the entire story including the store video.

Just not a lot to work with. This particular Doc. resulted in a change of policy and why i now pass on many issues that at first seem like a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    No, I never completed it. There were a lot of reasons, some I really don't want to talk about but some are:

Very little cooperation.
    Lots of audio problems because of the locations mandated.
    Very little usable video because of mandates.
    Some problems getting the entire story including the store video.

Just not a lot to work with. This particular Doc. resulted in a change of policy and why i now pass on many issues that at first seem like a good idea.
    No problem... I was just curious. I hadn't heard of this incident until it was mentioned in another thread (which led me to this thread...). Thanks for the update!

Quote Originally Posted by Blk97F150 View Post
    No problem... I was just curious. I hadn't heard of this incident until it was mentioned in another thread (which led me to this thread...). Thanks for the update!
    If you are ever in the area near Golden Market, stop by just to say "Hi" - both the owner and the "good samaritan" appreciate the support - I do so frequently myself.

You can goggle the address and GPS directions - there is only one Golden Market in Richmond.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    If you are ever in the area near Golden Market, stop by just to say "Hi" - both the owner and the "good samaritan" appreciate the support - I do so frequently myself.

You can goggle the address and GPS directions - there is only one Golden Market in Richmond.
    I'll do that. I don't get down that way too much, but it would be good to stop by there.

Peter, thanks for all the time and effort you have placed into this. I too look forward to the full video.
    frankd
    "Better to be judged by twelve than carried by six."