• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Golden Market Shooting

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Today (July 11) is the anniversary of the Golden Market Shooting in Richmond.
For those that don't know about it, a man legally carrying an unusual handgun openly, saved the lives of ten people in Richmond's Southside.

I've been working on a video of the event for months. It won't win any awards but tells the story, much in the shooters own words.

This video has been difficult. The shooter is a very private person. I took no video of him and was asked to disguise his voice on what was already very poor audio.

The Richmond Police Department was uncooperative to say the least. The Chief doesn't want people to know they can defend themselves. They went as far as denying they had the only Security tape, then when I called them on it, refused because it was evidence.

This is a preview and even though it's the core of OC, it may be deleted. If so, it will also be on www.oldva.org.

[video=vimeo;13246130]http://vimeo.com/13246130[/video]

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Thanks ODA! It's been an eye opener. In another stage of my life, I spent 5 days a week in that area with people that didn't want to go to jail. I didn't think anything would shock me but the speed that this happened at, and how much it really took to end it was shocking.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Will this become a weekly, prime time show? :lol:

Understand that you have another in the works - to be announced.

Thundar

Three Cheers for Peter

Peter,

You are a true patriot. It is an honor to have you in this forum. I still do not understand why the administrators eliminate so much of what you provide us.

Live free or Die,
Thundar

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Evidence? Isn't the case closed? Can you FOIA it?

Yes, no and no.
I did FOIA it.

There is some question if there was a second person involved. A driver. I hit on that in part 1 of the video.

In Virginia, evidence is released at the discretion of the PD. It is exempt from FOIA.
The Virginia FOIA doesn't differentiate between closed and open. Evidence is always evidence.

There were a lot of copies floating around the PD. The new Chief and you can guess at his reasons, collected them and said if anyone was caught with one he was terminated.

The Detective did not have a copy on the property sheet. I told the City Attorney they were lying and she literally called me while I was on the way to the court house with a writ.

That's when they used the evidence card and after taking it up with the FOIA council, they are correct.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Yes, no and no.
I did FOIA it.

There is some question if there was a second person involved. A driver. I hit on that in part 1 of the video.

In Virginia, evidence is released at the discretion of the PD. It is exempt from FOIA.
The Virginia FOIA doesn't differentiate between closed and open. Evidence is always evidence.

There were a lot of copies floating around the PD. The new Chief and you can guess at his reasons, collected them and said if anyone was caught with one he was terminated.

The Detective did not have a copy on the property sheet. I told the City Attorney they were lying and she literally called me while I was on the way to the court house with a writ.

That's when they used the evidence card and after taking it up with the FOIA council, they are correct.

That is something that needs to be changed for FOIA requests.

Evidence in closed cases not being released is BS.

sidestreet

Well, if past productions are any kind of indicator, the next one will be a "hit" also, with me at least. They just seem to get better and better. Peter, you do an awesome job. Some of my favorite posts are the ones where you have added your artistic skills, and they're probably the ones that I've drawn my friends attention to most of the time (when I'm able to get access), and they sure seem to enjoy them as much as I do.

Thanks for taking the time and making the effort to do all of this. Looking forward to seeing you and everyone else at "Smokey Pig" tonight... as always!!!

sidestreet

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Peter, I just discovered this thread after Golden Market was mentioned in another thread.... was there a final version of this documentary video?

Interesting to note... that you were refused FOIA access to the security video, but in an article linked below, PVC mentions watching it.

http://www.ammoland.com/2009/07/19/gun-owner-saves-lives-in-the-richmond-va-golden-market-shooting/

No, I never completed it. There were a lot of reasons, some I really don't want to talk about but some are:

Very little cooperation.
Lots of audio problems because of the locations mandated.
Very little usable video because of mandates.
Some problems getting the entire story including the store video.

Just not a lot to work with. This particular Doc. resulted in a change of policy and why i now pass on many issues that at first seem like a good idea.

Blk97F150

No, I never completed it. There were a lot of reasons, some I really don't want to talk about but some are:

Very little cooperation.
Lots of audio problems because of the locations mandated.
Very little usable video because of mandates.
Some problems getting the entire story including the store video.

Just not a lot to work with. This particular Doc. resulted in a change of policy and why i now pass on many issues that at first seem like a good idea.

No problem... I was just curious. I hadn't heard of this incident until it was mentioned in another thread (which led me to this thread...). Thanks for the update!