• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCed on the Madison Lakes on a boat

LOERetired

Last weekend I OCed on a boat while passing a DNR boat and although they watched me with binoculars, they didn't stop me. I open carried an unloaded firearm to comply with the Wisconsin statutes.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
Good for you!

I open carried an unloaded firearm to comply with the Wisconsin statutes.
Basic Rules said:
CITE TO AUTHORITY: If you state a rule of law, it is incumbent upon you to try to cite, as best you can, to authority. Citing to authority, using links when available,is what makes OCDO so successful. An authority is a published source of law that can back your claim up - statute, ordinance, court case, newspaper article covering a legal issue, etc.
Good for you! Please tell us with which Wisconsin statutes you complied? Yes, we all know it - except the newbies and scofflaws - but that isn't the rule. Please tell us.

M

McX

all of this is new to me; you can carry on a boat (presumebly holstered), but unloaded? sounds like this boat was in california......carry on land? i guess if it's private property, but i'm not sure, and would realy appreciate someone telling me how it is.

phred

If you are fishing from shore are you able to openly carry a loaded firearm?

The fishing has nothing to do with it. It is the motor-operated boat, while motoring, that "prevents" the loaded firearm. If on shore, ask yourself about the "no-carry" zones. If you're clear then it's fine.

Just don't shoot any fish!!

Last edited:
B

bhancock

Last weekend I OCed on a boat while passing a DNR boat and although they watched me with binoculars, they didn't stop me. I open carried an unloaded firearm to comply with the Wisconsin statutes.

167.31(2)(a)
(a) Except as provided in sub. (4), no person may place, possess or transport a firearm, bow or crossbow in or on a motorboat with the motor running, unless the firearm is unloaded or unless the bow or crossbow is unstrung or is enclosed in a carrying case.
30.50(6)
(6) "Motorboat" means any boat equipped with propulsion machinery, whether or not the machinery is the principal source of propulsion.

Here you go MCX. This is the statute to which I believe he was referring. No case requirement for firearm in the motorboat. I can't find a statute that restricts OC in a non-motorized boat though. Just keep in mind where the body of water is located, such as a state park.

phred

167.31(2)(a)
(a) Except as provided in sub. (4), no person may place, possess or transport a firearm, bow or crossbow in or on a motorboat with the motor running, unless the firearm is unloaded or unless the bow or crossbow is unstrung or is enclosed in a carrying case.
30.50(6)
(6) "Motorboat" means any boat equipped with propulsion machinery, whether or not the machinery is the principal source of propulsion.

Here you go MCX. This is the statute to which I believe he was referring. No case requirement for firearm in the motorboat. I can't find a statute that restricts OC in a non-motorized boat though. Just keep in mind where the body of water is located, such as a state park.

if bowfishing......

167.31(4)(bn)
(bn) Subsection (2) (a) does not apply to a person using a bow or a crossbow for fishing from a motorboat .

Of course, in the DNR Spearing Regulations:
"It is unlawful to use a crossbow for spearing fish. There may be local public safety
ordinances that prohibit the use of a bow and arrow in some areas. Please check with
your local law enforcement office for further information."

Last edited:
B

bhancock

how about if you carry in a canoe or kayak or a rowboat?

I have not found a statute against it. Keep in mind the whole restricted from state parks and some county parks also still have ordinances on the books. That brings to beg a good question about the Mississippi River though. Do you need to know where the actual border is between the states or are you ok in a non motorized vessel as long as you are on the water?

KansasKraut

Awesome..

My hat goes off to you for carrying on a boat and thereby informing/reminding the public and LEOs of our rights. Well done.

lance galloway

167.31(2)(a)
30.50(6)

The way I see it you can OC on a motor boat but ONLY if the motor is off.
I mean if you can't possess a firearm in a motorboat that would mean no hunting from one.

logan

Campaign Veteran
The way I see it you can OC on a motor boat but ONLY if the motor is off.
I mean if you can't possess a firearm in a motorboat that would mean no hunting from one.

As long as the gun is unloaded you can OC all you want in a boat. Looks like it can be loaded when the motor is off though.

Last edited:

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
167.31(2)(a)
30.50(6)
It does no damn good to cite a statute to the sucking illiterate hemorrhoids!

Last edited:

phred

It does no damn good to cite a statute to the sucking illiterate hemorrhoids!

Geeeeezzzz Doug,

I didn't know hemorrhoids had any IQ at all, much less suck. Were you implying that OCDO should have an ad for Preparation H someplace on the screen?

Is Patience a virtue that you are without? We're not all as perfect as you, ya know!

Let's all play nice now!