• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New OC Piece

Sparky508

Just joined the ranks of the 1911 crowd. Yesterday my wife and I went to Cabelas and bought a new PT 1911. I have been wanting too get a 1911 style pistol for years. I started eyeballing the PT series here a month or so ago, and after fondling the PT next to the high end Kimbers and Springfields, I made the leap.

What I know now, is the trigger is imaculant, and it feels like a dream on my side with its thinner profile than my USP. Which was one of the reasons my wife let me buy it. (She doesn't like the thick grip on my HK or my PT145)

I also broke down and purchased a Blackhawk holster. I was always a fan of leather, and just couldn't do a "plastic" holster. Wow it feels great, super rigid without feeling that way against your side.

Range report and images tommorow, we're heading up to Greenwater this monrning to break it in nice and proper.

irish52084

I'll be looking forward to the range report tomorrow. I've been looking at the PT 1911, seems like a lot of pistol for the $.

69Charger

Lube well

Glad you have stepped into the 1911 world. They are my thang too. :)
Just got back from the range with my trusty Colt.
I will trust my and my families life's on this gun.
3-20-10024.jpg

PICS?
Dave :)

69Charger

Hammer Back on my arm.
Does that count. :) :)
Had to do a bit of a mod on that holster for carry with hammer back. But for a $35 holster off of Ebay, I had no prob with taking a razor knife to it.
Dave
1911005.jpg

Without the mod, when you pulled the gun from the holster, with the hammer back, the hammer would get caught on the extra leather on the strap.
Works good now. :)

Son_of_Perdition

Nice

The 1911 is my mode of persuasion as wall. I sport a Kimber packed with Winchester eagle talon and Federal hydra-shok in an alternating stack. I figure if I am forced to use force I want to give the ER surgeon something more interesting to look at then the same old wounds. Spice up his day a little bit I figure...Who doesn't enjoy a challenge. Tongue in cheek.

Sparky508

Here’s a PIC of her.

It is definitely a lot of pistol for the money. We let loose over 200 rounds of the cheapest ammo available, lead ball, wolf, some stuff I don’t know what it was, and some of our personal defense rounds too. I even fed it a couple of those CCI wide mouth pigs, and it ate ‘em all. (Shorter and fatter than the old flying ashtrays, just as well be a saucer.)

Trigger is awesome, short and light. Factory mags that came with are good, and a Wilson combat mag was ok with it too. Was able to punch out a 1” dot at 15 yds, so it does what it’s told.
It came with some black plastic grips, but I was really digging the wooden jobbys.

I was scared buying it after reading all the reviews of how this dude broke the extractor, and this guy shot himself in the foot with his Kimber because the PT was such a piece of crap that he forgot how to act right.
I figured after reading the same garbage and then buying a Millet scope, and a Millennium Pro anyhow, I would do the same with a PT1911. So far so good.

Attachments

• 1911.jpg
    1911.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

69Charger

RIGHT ON :)
I got picked on for the no hammer back carry thang, so Its my turn to do some pickin. (ha)
With the hammer back, shouldn't you have a MAG in the HOLE of that thing. (ha ha) :) :)

Dave

Just pickin. Have In fun. :)

Ruby

I carry a 1911 also, a Dan Wesson Bobtail Commander. Got it last year new, back when I had some money(LOL). Seriously, I love this gun and carry it every day, mostly concealed because of my work. It's loaded with DoubleTap JHP, cocked and locked.

Batousaii

Sweet 1911

Congratss Sparky, it's a very nice firearms.
- I too love mine. I have a 1911 Colt Combat Commander, series 80, I use Eld Dorado Starfire rounds, almost same as the old Black Talon.
~ Dave, if it makes ya feel better, i too carry hammer down mostly, being a series 80, it has all the firing pin safeties etc. - (however) I would NOT reccomend hammer down on a non-80 style 1911. - I pull back the hammer and lock up the safety it if i get nervious, even though i can jack the hammer back rather quick on a draw too if needed - a nice habbit from carrying a Vaquero mostly - hehe. I know the whole speel about 1911 being designed for Cocked and locked, and how it has lots of safeties to keep it from discharging if the sear or hamme breaks etc. I however prefer to have hammer off of it's spring tension, and feel confident in the internal pin locks to do the job of keeping the pin off the primer if dropped. ~ personal choice and safety measures carefully weiged against speed of action in a stressful situation.

And, for a chuckle.... my 1911 is named "Sparky" - it's had that name over 10 years now.

Bat.

Last edited: