• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

new rumor about open carry

chrsjhnsn

I've been hearing a lot of folks insist that open carry is illegal if you have a ccw, what the heck?
I live in Northern western washoe county NV and open carry in rural areas but not when I visit Reno because I never see other folks doing it- my ccw expired so I have to open carry but not very comfortable with it yet.

wrightme

I've been hearing a lot of folks insist that open carry is illegal if you have a ccw, what the heck?
I live in Northern western washoe county NV and open carry in rural areas but not when I visit Reno because I never see other folks doing it- my ccw expired so I have to open carry but not very comfortable with it yet.
False statement. If you are hearing "a lot of folks insist" this, ask them to cite the relevant statute.

This is a misperception that seems to have as its source some CCW instructors; most notably, some from the Clark County area.

Also, this is not "a new rumor," it is an old one that seems to have "legs."

Search this forum for information, and start with the "Open Carry Pamphlet" thread.

Last edited:

jfrey123

Didn't we just talk about this like 2 weeks ago?

Honestly, I'm not trying to bust the OP's balls... I'm just sort of shocked that this is coming up yet again so quickly. Life would be so much easier if these people who 'insist' would actually sit down and take the 10 minutes to read NRS 202. Period.

chrsjhnsn

I was gone for almost a year

so I'm not current I also have not been online much this year so if "we" have talked about it recently I wasn't part of that "we". Sorry, I wasn't aiming to cause disruption.

jfrey123

chrsjhnsn, in no way was I blaming you for asking the question. I'm actually just more alarmed because that idea that CCW'ers can't OC is popping up more and more on this board. With the frequency this occurs it almost makes me wonder if there's some group or something out there trying to spread falsehoods about gun rights.

As to my reading of NRS 202, that also wasn't directed at you but rather the uninformed and the antis who are 'positive' what we're doing is wrong. I'm remembering back a month or two ago one guy OC'd into a coffee shop and a girl friend of a friend went ape snot on him because she 'KNEW' OC was illegal and called the cops. I know we'll probably never win the antis over, but there are lots and lots of pro gun guys who are grossly uninformed on the laws.

[/foot in mouth]