• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

King Soopers Open Carry - The Policy Distortion!

wthornton0206

Okay, so about the middle of June I was carrying openly in the Edgewater, CO. King Soopers (This store is still part of Jefferson County however it is right on the Jefferson-Denver dividing line). Now my gun is a BIG gun and very visible when holstered, no matter how I carry it. Anyways, I was shopping for the usual groceries when I noticed three uniformed Kroger security guards following at about a fifteen foot distance in every aisle that I went down. I witnessed a few of them talking on the radio, presumably to eachother.

Im not one to freak very easily over a little attention from security guards or even PD when I know Im lawfully carrying a weapon. With this in mind, I went to the self-checkout and proceeded to do my business. While I did this, two uniforms flanked me on either side and stood about five feet away. This is where I started to get upset that I was being followed and essentially threatened as one of the officers had his hands on his weapon as if to use it.

Needless to say, I left the store and sent an email to Kroger via their online customer complaints system. I stated the whole situtation and that I had been followed by the officers and what conduct they had shown. I also stated that I had not seen a properly posted sign at the public entrance and forwarded them copies of the state pre-emption laws and requirements for posted signs should a business choose to ban carry.

About a week later I received a reply from a Kroger rep and she told me that she would have someone at the district level contact me but that I could not carry weapons as that is Kroger policy!

Today I received a call back from a head of security for that store, Donna Carlisle who left me a voicemail and in it she told me that I was welcome to carry my weapon in store, however if I decide to carry openly I "must notify store security and a manager of my intent to do so"

What are everyone's view on this? Lets get a discussion started!

Yooper

I probably wouldn't have called Kroger (King Soopers / City Market) HQ until they actually tried to restrain you from going about your business, or told you to leave. It almost seems like they knew OC was legal, but didn't like the idea, so they had security follow you around. Once you contacted them, you allowed them to come up with a quick policy of "let us know". Now, since you contacted the HQ, do you have to let them know anytime you walk into a Kroger owned supermarket? If you don't could it be trespassing because you were told you were allowed in IF you let them know?

wthornton0206

I probably wouldn't have called Kroger (King Soopers / City Market) HQ until they actually tried to restrain you from going about your business, or told you to leave. It almost seems like they knew OC was legal, but didn't like the idea, so they had security follow you around. Once you contacted them, you allowed them to come up with a quick policy of "let us know". Now, since you contacted the HQ, do you have to let them know anytime you walk into a Kroger owned supermarket? If you don't could it be trespassing because you were told you were allowed in IF you let them know?

you know, that is a very good question actually. I would suspect I would have to be approached by management every time I was carrying and asked to leave, and that PD would have to issue a trespass warning. AND I would also suspect that it would only apply to the Edgewater store being as Kroger does not share that information between stores of who and who can't be in a particular store.

Beau

I also stated that I had not seen a properly posted sign at the public entrance and forwarded them copies of the state pre-emption laws and requirements for posted signs should a business choose to ban carry.

I think that mentioning signage is a bad idea. Why give them the idea if they don't have it already?

I have OC'd into a few Kroger and King Soopers stores. I regularly go into the K.S.'s in Bennet. Never had a problem or had anyone follow me around.

I wonder why they want you to notify them if your carrying? I guess maybe so they can auto alert security and they can follow you around. They sure would have a tuff time if 10+ OC'ers walked in, notified and all went separate ways.

Tomas

Today I received a call back from a head of security for that store, Donna Carlisle who left me a voicemail and in it she told me that I was welcome to carry my weapon in store, however if I decide to carry openly I "must notify store security and a manager of my intent to do so"

I note she did not tell you that you must notify them every time you enter the store. Would that mean notifying store security and the manager next time you stop in that you intend to open carry should cover you for all future visits? :lol:

langzaiguy

Do they wish to be notified of when you use the rest of your constitutional rights or just one? I'd give the manager a copy of the Constitution and let him know that you're an American citizen and that you'd like to use the rights enumerated within. In fact, you might want to let him know of other obvious mundane things as well--allergies, childhood stories, favorite colors, etc.

wthornton0206

I also stated that I had not seen a properly posted sign at the public entrance and forwarded them copies of the state pre-emption laws and requirements for posted signs should a business choose to ban carry.

I think that mentioning signage is a bad idea. Why give them the idea if they don't have it already?

I have OC'd into a few Kroger and King Soopers stores. I regularly go into the K.S.'s in Bennet. Never had a problem or had anyone follow me around.

I wonder why they want you to notify them if your carrying? I guess maybe so they can auto alert security and they can follow you around. They sure would have a tuff time if 10+ OC'ers walked in, notified and all went separate ways.

Maybe that's what SHOULD happen!

Bill Starks

State Researcher
Fred Meyer / kroger Corporate policy on weapons...
http://forum.nwcdl.org/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;id=60

from Merrill, Melinda S <melinda.merrill@fredmeyer.com>
to "m1gunr@gmail.com" <m1gunr@gmail.com>
date Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 1:34 PM
subject FW: 5853168 Unresolved Customer Issue
mailed-by fredmeyer.com

Dear Mr. Starks,

Our policy on guns in our stores is simply to comply with the law.

We recognize and respect the right to carry a weapon and we are aware that not everyone who has a weapon has a concealed weapon permit. However, we serve all varieties of Customers in our stores – we do not discriminate based on anything – not gender, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation or opinion. So, as I’m sure you are aware, there may be times when an unconcealed weapon is upsetting, particularly to some mothers who are shopping with their children. If you have a concealed weapon permit, we would appreciate it if you would conceal your weapon, but we recognize that you do not have to by law.

Thanks,

Melinda Merrill
Director, Public Affairs
503.797.3830 p
503.797.5609 f
melinda.merrill@fredmeyer.com
http://www.fredmeyer.com

Beau

That is probably the best store response I have ever read. They will not discriminate against your rights. They would prefer concealment but will not make it mandatory. +1 to them.

ZackL

I agree with almost everything said in this thread. We should definitely all carry in that store, especially now that they have confirmed that it isn't against policy to carry in their stores (thanks Gunr!). I'm not sure when I'd be able to get up there but it would be hilarious watching them try to follow and track everyone, we just need to make sure we have at least one video camera in case LEO's are called in.

cscitney87

King Soopers is actually really good about your rights to carry. I believe this was an isolated incident and not much of an incident anyway. No harm no foul- but he was followed - and that was wrong that he was made to feel uncomfortable.

I have carried more at King Soopers than any other store in my whole life. It's just for the fact that I am in King Soopers so often. They have no policy to harass Open Carriers. I've never felt followed and never felt uncomfortable.

Open Carry On!

mikebandw186

I can tell you your best best for getting your message across is to talk to the store manager. If the store manger doesn't offer a profuse apology for the treatment, tell them you will be taking your business elsewhere. Nothing motivates these people more than money.

since9

Campaign Veteran
About a week later I received a reply from a Kroger rep and she told me that she would have someone at the district level contact me but that I could not carry weapons as that is Kroger policy!

Phooey. I carry in King Soopers all the time.

Phooey. If it's not posted, carry on! If you're asked to leave, leave your cart where it is and leave.

Sounds like it's time for a couple of well-written letters to King Soopers HQ to clear up why, precisely, it's in their best fiscal interests to allow law-abiding citizens to continue to act in accordance with the law in the State of Colorado, and I'm not talking about the risk of their loosing my business, but the liability they create when they turn away the clear and present criminal deterrent effect of allowing their customers to open carry.

Gun Free Zones = Free Fire Zones = Target Rich Environments = Criminal Enticement Areas = ...

What are everyone's view on this? Lets get a discussion started![/QUOTE]