Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 71

Thread: Dicks Manassas/Fair Lakes

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Haymarket/Gainesville/Arlington/GMU , Virginia, USA
    Posts
    227

    Dicks Manassas/Fair Lakes

    I went into Dicks in Manassas this morning to grab some ammo before going to the range. I found it odd when then manager, whom I believe is in charge of the Fair Lakes store ID'd me at the ammo bench and then pointed at my SIG and said that for future reference he needed me to check in with customer service to "let them know" I was carrying a firearm. I just looked at him with a blank stare and slowly told him it has NEVER been an issue in that store. The most interaction Ive had in the past year with anyone in that store was one employee asked what night sights I had on my Kimber.

    He told me that there is a sign out front that asks of this. I would assume it has been put up sometime in the last month or two since the last time I was there. Sure enough, when I left it was off to the far left but at least at eye level with the picture of a deer on it...

    I told the manager I would take my business elsewhere and he said that he didnt have a problem with me carrying and said the state laws allowed me to, but he just wanted to know if there was someone in the store with one. I asked him why it was such an issue in a place that SELLS firearms and he said something about a customer carrying a loaded firearm is something that he wanted to know about. Supposedly someone OC'd a "colt strapped on his side" in his store at Fair Lakes and it made a lot of customers uncomfortable and caused them to say something to him.

    Basically Im at a loss at to what I should do. Im not comfortable with "checking in" with customer service to let them know Im armed, especially if they want to touch/handle MY firearm. I think Ill test the waters one more time OC after this week (when that manager goes back to his store).

    All in all he was polite and seemed somewhat knowledgeable but I didnt like the way he tried to confront me until I told him they would no longer receive my business.

    Thoughts/opinions?

  2. #2
    Regular Member gis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    264
    Quote Originally Posted by NightmareSHANIQUA View Post
    I went into Dicks in Manassas this morning to grab some ammo before going to the range. I found it odd when then manager, whom I believe is in charge of the Fair Lakes store ID'd me at the ammo bench and then pointed at my SIG and said that for future reference he needed me to check in with customer service to "let them know" I was carrying a firearm. I just looked at him with a blank stare and slowly told him it has NEVER been an issue in that store. The most interaction Ive had in the past year with anyone in that store was one employee asked what night sights I had on my Kimber.

    He told me that there is a sign out front that asks of this. I would assume it has been put up sometime in the last month or two since the last time I was there. Sure enough, when I left it was off to the far left but at least at eye level with the picture of a deer on it...

    I told the manager I would take my business elsewhere and he said that he didnt have a problem with me carrying and said the state laws allowed me to, but he just wanted to know if there was someone in the store with one. I asked him why it was such an issue in a place that SELLS firearms and he said something about a customer carrying a loaded firearm is something that he wanted to know about. Supposedly someone OC'd a "colt strapped on his side" in his store at Fair Lakes and it made a lot of customers uncomfortable and caused them to say something to him.

    Basically Im at a loss at to what I should do. Im not comfortable with "checking in" with customer service to let them know Im armed, especially if they want to touch/handle MY firearm. I think Ill test the waters one more time OC after this week (when that manager goes back to his store).

    All in all he was polite and seemed somewhat knowledgeable but I didnt like the way he tried to confront me until I told him they would no longer receive my business.

    Thoughts/opinions?
    I have carried openly at both stores over the past year without a single problem. The last time was in May in Manassas. I was buying a safe and the manager was helping me out. I spent 15-20 minutes waiting for them to get it out, and my openly carried Glock was not mentioned once. I also did not see any signs at that time. My experiences at the Fair Lakes store was equally uneventful.

    Would a sign asking for the gun carrier to check in be valid under the law? Somehow I doubt it. Of course if they see your gun after you ignored the sign, they can ask you to leave.

  3. #3
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by gis View Post
    Would a sign asking for the gun carrier to check in be valid under the law? Somehow I doubt it. Of course if they see your gun after you ignored the sign, they can ask you to leave.
    Yes, a sign asking you to check in would be valid. It may be stupid, ignorant, useless, cumbersome, and perhaps a few other adjectives, but it certainly is legal. There is noting in Virginia law that prohibits them from posting such a notice, so it is legal. AFAIK there is also nothing in Federal law prohibiting the posting of such a notice, so again it is legal.

    And your comment about the store management asking you to leave if you did not comply with the posted sign is a red herring - one thing has nothing to do with the other.

    I do not see why the person in charge of private property seems to always get raked over the coals for exercising their right to control the access and use (within certain legislated limits) of their private property. I am more amazed at the intensity of some here who suggest that they (certainly) and "we" (generally) ought to deliberately disregard the posted notices of private property owners when we "feel" that those notices are inconvenient and/or insulting.

    Were I to go to that store and see such a notice, I would immediately on entering go over to the customer service counter and say to the person on duty something akin to: "Hi! I'm here to shop." They might stare at me like I am some sort of loon, but that's their issue, not mine. I have complied with the posted notice. It cost me what? - 30 seconds time?

    stay safe.

  4. #4
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,848

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Were I to go to that store and see such a notice, I would immediately on entering go over to the customer service counter and say to the person on duty something akin to: "Hi! I'm here to shop." They might stare at skidmark like he is some sort of loon, but that's their issue, not mine. I have complied with the posted notice. It cost me what? - 30 seconds time?
    stay safe.
    +1

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    166
    Quote Originally Posted by NightmareSHANIQUA View Post
    I went into Dicks in Manassas this morning to grab some ammo before going to the range. I found it odd when then manager, whom I believe is in charge of the Fair Lakes store ID'd me at the ammo bench and then pointed at my SIG and said that for future reference he needed me to check in with customer service to "let them know" I was carrying a firearm. I just looked at him with a blank stare and slowly told him it has NEVER been an issue in that store. The most interaction Ive had in the past year with anyone in that store was one employee asked what night sights I had on my Kimber.

    He told me that there is a sign out front that asks of this. I would assume it has been put up sometime in the last month or two since the last time I was there. Sure enough, when I left it was off to the far left but at least at eye level with the picture of a deer on it...

    I told the manager I would take my business elsewhere and he said that he didnt have a problem with me carrying and said the state laws allowed me to, but he just wanted to know if there was someone in the store with one. I asked him why it was such an issue in a place that SELLS firearms and he said something about a customer carrying a loaded firearm is something that he wanted to know about. Supposedly someone OC'd a "colt strapped on his side" in his store at Fair Lakes and it made a lot of customers uncomfortable and caused them to say something to him.

    Basically Im at a loss at to what I should do. Im not comfortable with "checking in" with customer service to let them know Im armed, especially if they want to touch/handle MY firearm. I think Ill test the waters one more time OC after this week (when that manager goes back to his store).

    All in all he was polite and seemed somewhat knowledgeable but I didnt like the way he tried to confront me until I told him they would no longer receive my business.

    Thoughts/opinions?

    I would probably do the same as skidmark. But as far as the remark of somebody wanting to touch or handle my firearm,
    that dog don't hunt. There is no way i would let anybody do that. The only one handling my weapon would be me.
    The only other exception would be an leo, and even then i would want to unholster and unload my weapon and then hand
    it to them it they were wanting to see it.

  6. #6
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by marine77 View Post
    I would probably do the same as skidmark. But as far as the remark of somebody wanting to touch or handle my firearm,
    that dog don't hunt. There is no way i would let anybody do that. The only one handling my weapon would be me.
    The only other exception would be an leo, and even then i would want to unholster and unload my weapon and then hand
    it to them it they were wanting to see it.
    +1 on Skidmark and marine77.

    Everybody has rights. Private property owners, including managers have rights. Oc'ers have rights, CC'ers have rights. Richmondguns has rights, Cha Cha's has rights.

    It's all in how they're exercised.

    If a business doesn't want the gun along with the carrier, take your business to the competition.
    I wouldn't have a problem with stopping by CS and saying I'm carrying. Anything beyond that and I'd be off to Bass Pro where they like me anyway.

    Money talks.
    I went to the gunshow yesterday and spent about a thousand dollars.
    Not on guns and ammunition. I don't need new guns and when I do, the shows aren't the plce to buy them. I believe Richmondguns was working Dark Sun over....but I needed a new metal detector nd a few related things.

    I bought from fellow that's at every show, sells quality equipment, is pro gun and honest and knows his stuff about metal detecting.
    Dicks has to do a lot of advertising to get larger sales.

    Tke your business to those people that want it.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    US
    Posts
    3,156
    I've OC'd countless times at the one in Fair Lakes (and a few times in Manassas and Woodbridge). At the Fair Lakes location I've waited in line to pay for the ammo I picked out, when there was an issue with their registers the person I assume to be the manager was very friendly and took care of the issue, not one comment of my firearm I was OCing. I've never seen any signs either, and I was just there (OCing) this past week, again, with no issues.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Haymarket/Gainesville/Arlington/GMU , Virginia, USA
    Posts
    227
    This sign looked brand new when I looked at it today (being no sun damage and still had air bubbles underneath of it). Ive also never had an issue, even been greeted at the Manassas store by the manager right up front, and he never even gave me a second look. Maybe this is one manager that never makes it out on the floor and takes every bit that comes down from corporate as gospel.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    127
    Quote Originally Posted by NightmareSHANIQUA View Post
    This sign looked brand new when I looked at it today (being no sun damage and still had air bubbles underneath of it). Ive also never had an issue, even been greeted at the Manassas store by the manager right up front, and he never even gave me a second look. Maybe this is one manager that never makes it out on the floor and takes every bit that comes down from corporate as gospel.
    If the sign is not too wordy, can you post the verbiage?

    I too have opened carried at the Fair Lakes store (wrote a nice note about one of the firearms guys) and have talked to the General/Store Manager (a little frosty in my opinion) and 2-3 of the line managers, while carrying - nothing was mentioned.

    I'd be interested in seeing the language used - to understand if it applies to ALL carry, or if is specifically applies to firearms (long guns) purchased at Dick's being returned or entering into the store. I say this because I have two 12-gauge shotties from Dick's and each time the "manager" had to "escort" the boxed shottie with me in tow to the Customer Service desk and then handed to me as I exited the store. That I do know to be "policy" and one I can understand... but a holstered sidearm "notification" at the door is just plain stupid - can't they SEE it when you walk in... do they EXPECT a BG to "announce" his weapon's status.

    ... there was one "incident" reported to me while in conversation with the managers, about how a person "returned" a box (shoe maybe) with a loaded handgun inside - there was an off-duty Reston PD Officer in store, he unloaded and that was that... but that was relayed to me over a year ago...if Dick's moves that slow (like Washington and Congress) in engaging a policy-change... whoa........

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Haymarket/Gainesville/Arlington/GMU , Virginia, USA
    Posts
    227
    If Im not mistaken, and I wish I had my phone with me to snap a pic, but I was on a timeline,

    Bringing a firearm in the store?/
    Check in at customer service blah blah blah.

    I remember as much that there was no differentiation between long and short arms. I believe it just said firearm.

  11. #11
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,848
    Quote Originally Posted by marine77 View Post
    The only other exception would be an leo, and even then i would want to unholster and unload my weapon and then hand it to them it they were wanting to see it.
    yeah, good luck with that one. If they "WANTED" it from you, and you GIVE it to them, they have your permisssion.. and that is if they even LET you touch it. Personally, if they want MINE, I will NOT touch it.. what if his partner sees you put your hand on the gun and did not know what was communicated?

    I would say that I do not authorize search or seizure of my person or property but I will not physically attempt to keep you from doing so. A statement like this does not give them "permission" and hopefully lets them know that it is my intent for us all to go home with the same amount of holes in our bodies that we started with.

  12. #12
    Regular Member simmonsjoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mattaponi, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    1,664

    Question

    Perhaps it is a confusion with Dick's employees??

    Most, if not all gun retailers REQUIRE you to turn in your firearms immediately upon entry to the service center. This is however, for guns that are going to be serviced/sold, even though the sign may not say so, generally OC/CC guns are exempt, as long as you never remove them from their holster.

    This is a smart practice in my opinion.

  13. #13
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705
    Quote Originally Posted by ed View Post
    yeah, good luck with that one. If they "WANTED" it from you, and you GIVE it to them, they have your permisssion.. and that is if they even LET you touch it. Personally, if they want MINE, I will NOT touch it.. what if his partner sees you put your hand on the gun and did not know what was communicated?

    I would say that I do not authorize search or seizure of my person or property but I will not physically attempt to keep you from doing so. A statement like this does not give them "permission" and hopefully lets them know that it is my intent for us all to go home with the same amount of holes in our bodies that we started with.
    I wish we had a little blurb (kind of like the Miranda warning, but the other way around) to use for situations like this.

    Maybe something like:

    Officer, I just want to let you know that I do not consent or grant you permission to take possession of or search any of my personal property, including my firearm.

    I also want to let you know that if you decide to proceed against my wishes, I will not resist you in any way, nor will I put your personal safety at risk.

    Before you proceed, you may wish to consider that I am well aware of both my rights and the requirements you must meet in order to legally conduct a non-consensual search. I have not, am not now, nor am I about to commit a crime.
    ?

    TFred

  14. #14
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,848
    Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    Officer, I just want to let you know that I do not consent or grant you permission to take possession of or search any of my personal property, including my firearm.

    I also want to let you know that if you decide to proceed against my wishes, I will not resist you in any way, nor do I want OUR personal safety at risk.

    Before you proceed, you may wish to consider that I am well aware of both my rights and the requirements you must meet in order to legally conduct a non-consensual search. I have not, am not now, nor am I about to commit a crime.
    my edit

  15. #15
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705
    Officer, I just want to let you know that I do not consent or grant you permission to take possession of or search any of my personal property, including my firearm.

    I also want to let you know that if you decide to proceed against my wishes, I will not resist you in any way, nor do I want OUR personal safety at risk.

    Before you proceed, you may wish to consider that I am well aware of both my rights and the requirements you must meet in order to legally conduct a non-consensual search. I have not, am not now, nor am I about to commit a crime.
    Quote Originally Posted by ed View Post
    my edit
    Funny though... in all the court cases I've read which give LEOs the power to usurp the Fourth Amendment, the safety of the subject being detained or questioned doesn't seem to take very high priority. Maybe I just don't remember it.

    TFred

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    NOVA
    Posts
    19
    Stop OC'ing at Dicks. Modells and Sports Authority don't cut it.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    US
    Posts
    3,156
    Quote Originally Posted by xd40compact View Post
    Stop OC'ing at Dicks. Modells and Sports Authority don't cut it.
    Why should I stop OCing at Dick's? Modellsand Sports Authority don't sell ammo, guns, or gun stuff.

  18. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    UGANDA
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by nova View Post
    Why should I stop OCing at Dick's? Modellsand Sports Authority don't sell ammo, guns, or gun stuff.
    NOVA, more like BROVA






    amirite?
    Last edited by EG&G Technical Services Employee; 07-12-2010 at 11:48 AM.

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    NOVA
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by nova View Post
    Why should I stop OCing at Dick's? Modellsand Sports Authority don't sell ammo, guns, or gun stuff.
    Hence why I said they don't cut it.
    Keep going to Dicks but respect the store manager's rules

  20. #20
    Regular Member Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Grennsboro NC
    Posts
    5,358
    I OCed a few times last fall at the Dicks at Fair Lakes, while helping a friend shop for a new home-defense shotgun. I had no issues at all, and was even handling several shotguns in the process. One of the clerks complimented my Para, and said he'd never seen a tan Serpa...

    But nobody complained, nobody asked me to "check it in" and no managers approached me. We had a pleasant experience all around, and they were very helpful, knowledgeable and polite.

  21. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    UGANDA
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    I OCed a few times last fall at the Dicks at Fair Lakes, while helping a friend shop for a new home-defense shotgun. I had no issues at all, and was even handling several shotguns in the process. One of the clerks complimented my Para, and said he'd never seen a tan Serpa...

    But nobody complained, nobody asked me to "check it in" and no managers approached me. We had a pleasant experience all around, and they were very helpful, knowledgeable and polite.
    It's probably cause you're so damn cute

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Eastern Prince William Co. VA, ,
    Posts
    306

    Woodbridge Store Near Potomac Mills???

    I've never seen such a sign at the Dicks near Potomac Mills; I was in there last week looking for .17 cal pellets.

    Perhaps they just put one up too.

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by xd40compact View Post
    Stop OC'ing at Dicks. Modells and Sports Authority don't cut it.
    Huh?

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    NOVA
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
    Huh?
    If the store manager doesn't feel comfortable with you OC'ing then don't do it.

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    182
    If a store sign says "No Guns" and you proceed to OC or CC anyway, you are in violation if the law.

    If the store sign says "If you have a gun you must yodel the entire time you are in our store" would you be in violation of the law?

    Basically does carry a gun give a store the right to require any damn thing they want, not just under penalty of being asked to leave but with the threat of a firearms violation for not yodeling?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •