• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Had Gun, Done Traveling — Colton Harris-Moore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Workman

Had Gun, Done Traveling - Colton Harris-Moore

When Harris-Moore was apprehended overnight in a high-speed boat chase down in the Bahamas, he reportedly was armed with a handgun (putting him squarely in this column's arena). It’s not quite clear whether he used it — shots were apparently fired, but some reports indicate it was just the cops shooting out the engine of the stolen boat he was piloting — but anybody who can steal small airplanes and fly them (it was the landing part he didn’t seem to have down pat) probably has the smarts to press a trigger if he so desires.

http://www.examiner.com/x-4525-Seat...ne-Traveling-Moore-is-Barefoot-in-the-Bahamas

Or try this:

http://tinyurl.com/2b7tvwz

kenzmad

I know that everything he was doing was illegal but a little part of me wanted to see it continue just to see how far he could go. its a shame that someone with that much perseverance and luck on his side couldn't put those attributes to something legal. sounds like his momma is going to hit a big payday with the movie rights and such.

kenzmad

Aaron1124

Colton will escape from custody. Maybe not tomorrow. Maybe not next month. He will escape.. and will continue with his spree long enough to the point to where he'll go an extended period of time being unheard of.

Tomas

Only tiny objection to your article is you fell in with the rest calling Colton a "kid."

Here's my much earlier comment to the Tacoma News Tribune...

At 19 years old and 6'5" Colton is no longer a "kid" but a young adult. At that age I (and most of my peers) were responsible and productive members of society (myself in the USAF maintaining B52s).

All Colton has done is stolen or destroyed hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of other people's property, and caused great expense in the many manhours spent trying to track him down.

Colton has been in trouble since well before he was first CONVICTED of possession of stolen property at age 12, and has actually done little if anything productive since.

He may be smart (cunning is more like it) but society needs to separate itself from him, as it doesn't seem likely that he will learn to be other than the feral animal he is. He really seems to lack that "regulator" that allows the rest of us to live and work with others.

One thing is certain - he's no kind of "folk hero"...
http://www.thenewstribune.com/2010/...&&mi_pluck_action=page_nav#Comments_Container

Metalhead47

Colton will escape from custody. Maybe not tomorrow. Maybe not next month. He will escape.. and will continue with his spree long enough to the point to where he'll go an extended period of time being unheard of.

Bet you a box of .45 he won't. With all the media attention they're gonna be watching this guy like a hawk every minute of the day. The kid's nothing but a thieving little punk, they oughtta disarm him Iranian style. That babyface of his is gonna be real popular in prison tho :eek:

amlevin

Too bad the Bahamian Police, while shooting at the engines on the boat, didn't put a round of shot in his a$$. THAT would slow down his running ability for quite some time.

Now that he's in custody we can all look forward to the Movies, Books, and appearances on the talk shows by his mother, attorney's, and anyone else that will be making a buck off this twerp's adventures. Would be great to see a Federal Judge impound all proceeds from these enterprises and make them available to those who's property was stolen or destroyed.

OrangeIsTrouble

I really don't see the main idea in this article. Is it just an update to the situation with the barefoot bandit, another place for people to comment on the story? Or does this have to do with him having a handgun? If this is what the article is about, what specific laws in the Bahamas did he break? There is no mention of that. What is the goal of this article?

Tomas

... If this is what the article is about, what specific laws in the Bahamas did he break?

Bahamian law said:
(2) If any person -
(a)
purchases, acquires or has in his possession any firearm or ammunition to which the Part of this Act applies, without holding a firearm certificate in force at the time, or otherwise than as authorised by such certificate, or, in the case of ammunition in quantities in excess of those so authorised; or
(b)
fails to comply with any condition subject to which a firearm certificate is held by him, he shall, subject to the provisions of sections 12, 43 and 44 of this Act, for each offence be liable -
(i)
on conviction on information, to imprisonment for ten years;
(ii)
on summary conviction before a Stipendiary and Circuit Magistrate, to imprisonment for a term of five years...

and in addition to a fine of five thousand dollars, such gun or ammunition shall be forfeited to the Crown.
http://laws.bahamas.gov.bs/annuals/No21of2006style.html

A little different from here.

Beretta92FSLady

Hopefully this young man will have someone to try and help him sort out why he feel driven to do what he does. He is not a career criminal--yet.

amlevin

Hopefully this young man will have someone to try and help him sort out why he feel driven to do what he does. He is not a career criminal--yet.

Just what do you suppose they were trying to do while he was a guest of the Juvenile System and placed in the "Half-Way" house in Renton. If they weren't trying to help him he would more likely have been a piece of meat passed around amongst the "cons" in Walla Walla or Monroe. To him, this was all a joke. Just look at the smirk on his face when he took his "self portrait" as well as the parting message in the Orcas Island store.

He had a chance with the form of justice used with young criminals in this country. Now he gets to experience the form used in another country. Luckily it is one of the more civilized countries but by no means will he find it as forgiving or comfortable as the treatment here. He is no longer granted the same rights as we have here under the constitution, he is now subject those rights granted under THEIR constitution. Other countries don't always tend to be as lenient and their jail cells are often just a step above a horse stall.

Once he's done in the Bahama's he then has a long list of jurisdictions that will be waiting to deal with him for those crimes he comitted while passing through.

My concern is not as much for this young criminal as for those he harmed financially and emotionally. To lots of people it's been entertaining, reading of his escapades. What about the store owner(S) who had to deal with thousands of dollars in damages? Same for the home owners that had their homes invaded for his personal use. Once this happens, your sense of security in this world is forever changed.

IMHO if anyone wants to try and rehabilitate this person, go ahead, but only after he has paid the appropriate penalties for his actions.

Aaron1124

I highly doubt this guy is going to be "punked" in the big house. He's 6'5". He's no small guy. I'm sure he can hold his own. This is a guy who has survived out in the wilderness for many many months, if not years. I doubt he's afraid of Joe Bubba.

Beretta92FSLady

What they need to do is put this kid in the military. He needs structure. He likes living outside, give him some training, an AR, and parachute him down into Afghanistan. Instead they will have him in prison the next ten years, then he will be released onto the streets an institutionalized animal, and all of us are going to suffer for it.

ridgerunner98570

What they need to do is put this kid in the military. He needs structure. He likes living outside, give him some training, an AR, and parachute him down into Afghanistan. Instead they will have him in prison the next ten years, then he will be released onto the streets an institutionalized animal, and all of us are going to suffer for it.
Why? So he can chicken out and call for Mama when the fighting gets tough? He would get himself killed. This is a kid that doesn't live within society's rules. He would not be able to be relied upon in the military. The first time his sarge yelled at him, he would be over the fence, and probably take a bunch of military equipment with him. The military doesn't need misfit's like this one.

Last edited:

Vandal

He is a career criminal already, he started at 12 when he got his first conviction. The system tried to help him become a semi-normal member of society and he basically told them to screw off. 7 years of near constant criminal activity while making virtually zero positive contribution to society makes a person a career criminal in my eyes.

I also don't want him anywhere near the military or my friends in the military. He is not the kind of person to join. The first time he got yelled at (his first minute at Boot) he'd most likely start looking for a way out. Personally, I blame his mother for his actions and she needs to be held accountable for what he did as a juvenile instead of meet with entertainment lawyers and talk show hosts.

Harris-Moore is facing federal charges for each airplane he stole in addition to the state level charges. The Bahamas will most likely extradite and he can enjoy his time in the Federal Pen. He made the choice, now he can live with the very real consequences.

Aaron1124

IMHO a person would be safer in a Federal Prison rather than a State Prison considering the type of Federal crimes VS State crimes. Most violent offenses are prosecuted on a state level.

Fallschirjmäger

I'll have to second the notion that putting young Colton in the military would not be a good idea. It's not a press-gang for criminals and ne'erdowells that are given guns and driven forward with the lash.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Maybe not our military...

Perhaps Sylvia forgot to mention that it is not the US military he should be enlisted. Perhaps there is another country's military he could be enlisted and serve.:banana:

The Russian military training is extremely tough...

amzbrady

Perhaps Sylvia forgot to mention that it is not the US military he should be enlisted. Perhaps there is another country's military he could be enlisted and serve.:banana:

The Russian military training is extremely tough...

+1, He probably wouldnt get himself killed, but the troops he would be with. He is to self involved, a loner. He got careless, He should have stuck to the NW woods. Kinda reminds me of "Catch me if you Can".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.