• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Had Gun, Done Traveling — Colton Harris-Moore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomas

Forget putting him in the military.

Being ex-military and having spent my time in a war zone as a part-time target, I would NOT have wanted to depend on some irresponsible jerk who could not or would not follow rules, and had zero compassion for others, no feeling of camaraderie. He would not be a good "brother-in-arms" and I would not be able to trust him. He would be for himself alone, and no one else. (Likely also a coward.)

(He would at the very least get his mates killed as he looked out only for himself.)

(What is missing in our civilian prison system is a sentence "at hard labor" as can be given elsewhere. Discipline.)

As to his mother, she should be held liable for repayment / restitution to his victims for crimes committed while he was a juvenile, just as other parents often are. That should take care of the "windfall gains" she hopes for, marketing her son to Hollywood and the tabloids. For him, though, he is now an adult, and those things he has done since becoming an adult should be handled first - and as an adult offender. Sadly, I have little sympathy...

Last edited:

OrangeIsTrouble

As to his mother, she should be held liable for repayment / restitution to his victims for crimes committed while he was a juvenile, just as other parents often are. That should take care of the "windfall gains" she hopes for marketing her son to Hollywood and the tabloids. For him, though, he is now an adult, and those things he has done since becoming an adult should be handled first - and as an adult offender. Sadly, I have little sympathy...

Wasn't she not responsible for him though? He was in a group home and escaped, so he was already on his own. Sucks for the victims as they are not going to be compensated for damages done, as he has no money to give up and you can't just grab money out of his pocket.

Norman

Considering how long he was on the run, he needs to be hired by law enforcement as a consultant for missing fugitives. You can badmouth the kid all you want, but he made law enforcement look like a bunch of idiots.

And yes, I called him a "kid" on purpose.k.

Aaron1124

Considering how long he was on the run, he needs to be hired by law enforcement as a consultant for missing fugitives. You can badmouth the kid all you want, but he made law enforcement look like a bunch of idiots.

I agree 100%..

Tomas

Wasn't she not responsible for him though? He was in a group home and escaped, so he was already on his own. Sucks for the victims as they are not going to be compensated for damages done, as he has no money to give up and you can't just grab money out of his pocket.

He was in a "group home" (think "minimum security juvenile detention") as a part of a court sentence - he was still his mamma's boy and still lived at home before he was sentenced to that temporary detention...

I don't believe you will find that at any time he was an "emancipated minor" and therefore was still HER charge and responsibility.

===> IANAL <===

Metalhead47

He can consult all they want... while he's chained up breaking rocks for minimum wage to pay back his victims (and given the value of that plane, he'll be consulting a loooong time).

OlGutshotWilly

Campaign Veteran
Too bad the Bahamian Police, while shooting at the engines on the boat, didn't put a round of shot in his a$$. THAT would slow down his running ability for quite some time.

My wife was listening to NPR this morning, and I just about coughed up my coffee when they interviewed the guy whose boat Harris had taken and the authorities had destroyed the engines on his boat. When asked about it, he actually said it would have been much better for him (the owner) if they had just shot Harris instead of his engines.
This caught the NPR guy completely off guard and I was just cracking up:lol:

amlevin

My wife was listening to NPR this morning, and I just about coughed up my coffee when they interviewed the guy whose boat Harris had taken and the authorities had destroyed the engines on his boat. When asked about it, he actually said it would have been much better for him (the owner) if they had just shot Harris instead of his engines.
This caught the NPR guy completely off guard and I was just cracking up:lol:

This is the main point that most seem to be overlooking. Not just this punk but just about every criminal in the system today that all the "bleeding hearts" want to paint as "disadvantaged youths" at one time or another in their lives. This guy has stolen how many airplanes? Since he only learned how to break into them and take off with them but never learned how to land without crashing, all these plane owners are out a sizable sum of money.

Did he leave any money benind at the homes he broke into to pay for the damage he caused when doing so? What about all the stolen vehicles?

Just to set the record straight, we ALL pay for his entertainment. OUR insurance goes up on our homes, cars, and airplanes (if we are fortunate enough to own one), and in the end Harris-Moore will probably never have to cough upa dime.

To call this twerp, and others like him, a disadvantaged child who is just "acting out", is an insult to all those who grew out of similar environments. Instead of channeling their intelligence into criminal activity they sought out an education and became successful people.

Those who are now feeling sorry for this juvenile jerk are just a bunch of bleeding heart liberals themselves.

Last edited:

Metalhead47

This is the main point that most seem to be overlooking. Not just this punk but just about every criminal in the system today that all the "bleeding hearts" want to paint as "disadvantaged youths" at one time or another in their lives. This guy has stolen how many airplanes? Since he only learned how to break into them and take off with them but never learned how to land without crashing, all these plane owners are out a sizable sum of money.

Did he leave any money benind at the homes he broke into to pay for the damage he caused when doing so? What about all the stolen vehicles?

Just to set the record straight, we ALL pay for his entertainment. OUR insurance goes up on our homes, cars, and airplanes (if we are fortunate enough to own one), and in the end Harris-Moore will probably never have to cough upa dime.

To call this twerp, and others like him, a disadvantaged child who is just "acting out", is an insult to all those who grew out of similar environments. Instead of channeling their intelligence into criminal activity they sought out an education and became successful people.

Those who are now feeling sorry for this juvenile jerk are just a bunch of bleeding heart liberals themselves.

AMEN!!!

That last plane alone is probably worth (or was) more than some folks' homes.

Tomas

It was a Cessna 400 Corvalis TT. Very quick and very expensive. Fastest available fixed-gear private plane, I believe. Tail number: N660BA. Base price before you start adding extras, $635,000.

It's a single engine, twin-turbo, composite airframe, fixed gear, luxury private plane. I'd love to fly one of those instead of the Piper Tomahawk I used to have. :)

(I suspect his landing place was determined by his fuel load - he was right near the limit of the plane's range, and flying low as he was to avoid radar he sucked even more fuel...)

Last edited:

OrangeIsTrouble

the Bahamian gov pretty smart though, they ain't paying to feed and take care of his ass in prison, they letting the US spend it's money lol. He probably won't have any gun charges though as he wasn't found with the handgun in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.