• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Openly bearing arms, beachgoers cite their rights

NathanForrest

Openly bearing arms, beachgoers cite their rights

Members of a South Bay group hope to win public acceptance of the public display of firearms.

It was clear this was no ordinary community cleanup.

Trash bags? Check.

Gloves? Check.

Glock .45-caliber handgun? Check.

More than a dozen people packing pistols on their hips strolled down the Hermosa Beach strand Saturday, picking up garbage and distributing fliers about the rights of gun owners.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FOR THE RECORD: A story in Sunday's California section about participants openly carrying firearms at a community cleanup in Hermosa Beach misidentified the coffee shop where the group met at the end of the event. It was the Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf, not Peet's Coffee & Tea.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The event was part of a burgeoning and controversial "open carry" movement nationwide promoting the right to carry guns in public. Although carrying a concealed weapon is illegal without a permit, California allows people to openly carry guns in many areas as long as they are unloaded, though they can keep ammunition with them.

Members of South Bay Open Carry, which organized the beach cleanup, said they hope such events will dispel misgivings about gun owners and make carrying a handgun in public more acceptable. Organizers said they turned the event into a cleanup to demonstrate that they are contributing to the community.

"Just because somebody is carrying a gun doesn't mean that they're a criminal," said Scott Brownlie, a 25-year-old firefighter who stood outside Peet's Coffee & Tea with an unloaded Colt M-4 Carbine slung across his back. "If a lot of people were allowed to carry more … there would be a lot less crime."

. . .

But as the gun toters wrapped up the event at Peet's, customer Shawna Johnson said the sight of someone armed in public was unnerving.

"I think people have the right to arms," said Johnson, a biology student at Cal State Channel Islands, "but I think it's unsafe that people carry them on the streets."

Last edited by a moderator:

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
"I think people have the right to arms," said Johnson, a biology student at Cal State Channel Islands, "but I think it's unsafe that people carry them on the streets."

If you can't bear arms, how do you bear arms?

This makes no sense, Biology Student. How do you cut open a frog without cutting open a frog?

How can you say that people have a Right to bear arms, and that they have no Right to bear arms in the same sentence, and still earn a College Degree?

Oh yeah, Colleges are run by Liberals; sanity and logic are forbidden....

since9

Campaign Veteran
More succinctly translated: "I think people have the right to arms, but I think it's unsafe that people bear them on the streets."

Where else would they bear arms, Mr. Johnson? In their bathtubs? We bear arms to defend ourselves, others, and our property against criminals. Last time I checked, there were no criminals in my bathtub, but there are quite a few on the streets.

Last edited:

Anthony_I_Am

Obviously educated in a Kommifornia college. The saddest thing is this brainwashed idiot will vote and probably be some executive at some place and be able to make the decision that bans firearms.

"People use the guns in a moment of passion, under the influence, when they're angry,"
And how many people were shot dead at the trash litter pickup?

Last edited:

AnderJaspo

This statement...

"Open Carry has drawn criticism from gun control groups that say police, not untrained gun owners, should be protecting the public."

This statement implies that all civilian gun-owners are "un-trained," and that all LEO's are highly trained for the purpose of protecting us! LOL!

I do more gun "training" and practice in my free time than several LEO's that I know!

KansasMustang

I think it'd be kinda tough carrying with a swimsuit on, but it'd be fun trying! Have to carry a stainless because of the salt water. Have yet to hear of any mass killings on a beach but ya never know when that'll happen. God Bless all Y'all in Kali and keep fighting the good fight.

dchoepp

Campaign Veteran
I haven't been to the beach with my firearm, but I do go to the river where many people are and just in flip flops, board shorts, and XDm 9 on side.

Last edited:

SlackwareRobert

At least you wouldn't have any compensation comments. The proof is out in the open.
Problem with the bug and spare mags though. In FL you probably still need to carry your fishing pole. So equal protection for the ladies will make a great federal case.

Operator_223

Politicians prefer Un-armed peasants !!

All I can say to this is:

Politicians prefer Un-armed peasants !!

they have the majority of people controlled to the point where the people are purposefully conditioned to transfer all of their fears of getting hurt onto the gun itself. It aint going to jump off the table and start shooting by itself. I have one sitting here on the coffee table every day for several years and it aint moved by itself yet.

If you dont know what your rights are AND USE THEM, then you dont have any.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Shawna Johnson said:

Fortunately, you have a Right to be Stupid and Hateful, and to talk about it. Thank a gun-owner for that.

HvyMtl

I guess they had on gun belts. In no way can many swimsuits out there hold the weight a firearm, even the Glock...

More power to them. Acting civil, informing politely, and even doing a service for the community? Excellent.

since9

Campaign Veteran
I guess they had on gun belts. In no way can many swimsuits out there hold the weight a firearm, even the Glock...

I really hope this doesn't get me banned, as such is certainly not my intention. About two decades ago, I was dating a girl who was very much into guns, as was her father (he taught me how to shoot well). She once told me she had a local clothier design her a "***** pouch" which held her (get this) Taurus 9mm, and you know where regardless of whatever skimpy dress she might be wearing.

Although she and I were intimate at the time, and I'd fired her 9mm several times, I never did get to see her specialty holster.

On one occasion, however, I did accompany her to an event while she was wearing said skimpy dress, and when I asked if she was carrying, she did produce her Taurus for my quick inspection, along with a mischevious grin!

I don't think she'd go in the water wearing such a rig, but it wouldn't take much for her to simply double-bag it, if she'd so desired.

ETA: Ok, not banned (thankfully). Just the p-word replaced with astericks.

Last edited: