• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I'm 18 and want to OC but what if I get stopped by police?

bigdodge25

Exactly as stated in the title... what do I say to an officer if I get stopped by him? What if he says I cant OC... what do i tell him?

I have been told by fellows on here that eventhough i cant legally buy a handgun that i can still oc one even if i dont own it? Say its my dads gun... is this true?

also can someone give me the link to the OC business cards please?

langzaiguy

Welcome Dodge! You'll do yourself a service if you search around a bit and study up--there's some great references here. I think the OC cards might be a sticky link.

First of all, you CAN legally buy a handgun--just not from a federal firearms dealer. If you are stopped by a LEO, first ask if you are being detained. This is a yes or no question! If no, walk away, if yes--they need reasonable articulable suspicion that a crime has been committed or is about to be committed. If being detained, insist in knowing their RAS.

If it were me, I'd demand that they cite which KRS you were breaking as none would apply.

Also note that KY is not a stop and identify state. I would assume that they would also need RAS in order to check your ID. How would they even know you were 18 in the first place? They'll prolly just assume you were 21+ and go about their business.

bigdodge25

thanks for the info... i really want to OC but i want to go shoot my gun and stuff first to get familar with it. I cant wait until I can go out and OC.

langzaiguy

Oh yeah, if you keep a gun in your glovebox (anyone can 18+, no felonies, no CCDW needed), I would definitely let the cop know you have a gun. Bad things can happen if he thinks you're reaching for a gun when you're actually reaching for your registration.

KRM59

Thanks to both

this answered some of my cocerns on my post. i am in the process of getting a CCDW but feel we should not have to conceal a hand gun if we do not wish to. I would rather it be seen and know it is not a threat, than to have it seen as a bulge under my shirt and have people wonder.