• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry vs Concealed

xd40compact

What is the point of this discussion?
Why do GMU student feel it so necessary to carry a concealed weapon?
If this was such an issue why don't GMU student just open carry. Wouldn't open carrying be proactive to school violence and act as a deterrent to a school shooting? Rather than concealed carrying which would be reactive to the situation and would cause even more chaos and probably lead to more causalities..When people are under stressful situations, such as a school shooting, it is exponentially harder to hit your target with a bullet. Most students only have experience standing still, under zero stress, shooting a motionless paper target. This wouldn't be the case in a real life scenario...
Lets leave it to the professionals...
GMU students for cell phones!!

I agree, more people with guns does not equal less casualties in these circumstances. There is no doubt that even a student with a gun will be pants pooping scared at the thought and sight of murder. They will probably miss quite a bit even striking their classmates with stray rounds. Increase campus police/security, don't rely on hungover students to protect you.

Stay Pregnant.

Sheeple, trolls? Its ok to admit that you can't have an intelligent debate instead of hiding behind those two meaningles terms to justify your tactless demeanor. By the way, Autosurgeon, stick to mechanic, don't try to glamorize being a grease monkey.

Last edited:

Dreamer

I agree, more people with guns does not equal less casualties in these circumstances. There is no doubt that even a student with a gun will be pants pooping scared at the thought and sight of murder. They will probably miss quite a bit even striking their classmates with stray rounds. Increase campus police/security, don't rely on hungover students to protect you.

I'm a student at a State University.

I'm 44 years old, returning to get my Masters Degree. I have EXTENSIVE training in self-defense, urban tactical shooting, and LE training (from the POV of the TRAINER). I've been carrying for over 15 years. I've shot competitively in USPSA and IPSC.

Not all "students" are hung-over 19-year-old frat boy wussies.

Some "students" are level-headed, world-wise adults with more experience and training than most LEO's. Some students are mature, aware, and responsible.

Some students are actually adults...

Wake up, EG&G. You've obviously drunk the NWO Kool-aid beig served in your employer's commissary. You need to remember that contrary to the Globalist agenda of world domination of your employer, there ARE still people in the world who cherish freedom, liberty, and personal responsibility.

Last edited:

t33j

Some "students" are level-headed, world-wise adults with more experience and training than most LEO's. Some students are mature, aware, and responsible.
Like say, my 31 year old Marine Reservist buddy (Married w/kids on the way)
or my 25 year old Air Force Pilot friend
or my 27 year old NRA instructor fellow researcher
or my 26 year old Coast Guard mate (Married)
or myself... I'll bet I could outshoot an extremely high percentage of the cops in my area.

Sure, I'd open carry one of my guns to class if it weren't against student policy... and on the way home through neighborhoods where home invasions and armed robberies are common, murders are about a triweekly occurrence, and gunshots can be heard multiple nights per week.

Last edited:

autosurgeon

Sheeple, trolls? Its ok to admit that you can't have an intelligent debate instead of hiding behind those two meaningles terms to justify your tactless demeanor. By the way, Autosurgeon, stick to mechanic, don't try to glamorize being a grease monkey.

I do so love it when people resort to attacking my username :lol:

karolynrgalarza

Some of Us do have training

"I agree, more people with guns does not equal less casualties in these circumstances. There is no doubt that even a student with a gun will be pants pooping scared at the thought and sight of murder. They will probably miss quite a bit even striking their classmates with stray rounds. Increase campus police/security, don't rely on hungover students to protect you."

Just wanted to let you know that some of us "hungover students" do know how to handle weapons and react in life/death situations. I spent four years in the US Marine Corps and got advanced tactical training so please don't generalize.

Secondly, I am the campus leader/president of the GMU SCCC and I feel the need to inform you that the students who want to carry concealed are going to be receiving advanced training. One of the main missions of our group is to educate students on weapons handling and firing. We also plan on educating the public if they are interested so we can abolish the ignorance associated with concealed carry. The truth is that many students can get shot within a matter of seconds BEFORE the campus police arrive (even if they get there in a minute or a matter of seconds). Unless you plan on paying for a bodyguard for each individual student, I think you should let us have a say in the protection of our individual bodies.

Lastly, not everyone drinks.

"I agree, more people with guns does not equal less casualties in these circumstances. There is no doubt that even a student with a gun will be pants pooping scared at the thought and sight of murder. They will probably miss quite a bit even striking their classmates with stray rounds. Increase campus police/security, don't rely on hungover students to protect you."

Just wanted to let you know that some of us "hungover students" do know how to handle weapons and react in life/death situations. I spent four years in the US Marine Corps and got advanced tactical training so please don't generalize.

Secondly, I am the campus leader/president of the GMU SCCC and I feel the need to inform you that the students who want to carry concealed are going to be receiving advanced training. One of the main missions of our group is to educate students on weapons handling and firing. We also plan on educating the public if they are interested so we can abolish the ignorance associated with concealed carry. The truth is that many students can get shot within a matter of seconds BEFORE the campus police arrive (even if they get there in a minute or a matter of seconds). Unless you plan on paying for a bodyguard for each individual student, I think you should let us have a say in the protection of our individual bodies.

Lastly, not everyone drinks.

Doesn't GMU have something like 30,000 students? How many of those 30,000 have tactical training from the US military?

Last edited:

t33j

How many of those would carry - a couple hundred at most? It doesn't really matter anyway. I'd rather have a minimally trained citizen sitting next to me, than an individual with military or police training 5 minutes away. Van Cleave put it pretty well in a youtube video when he was at Virginia Tech.

How many of those would carry - a couple hundred at most? It doesn't really matter anyway. I'd rather have a minimally trained citizen sitting next to me, than an individual with military or police training 5 minutes away. Van Cleave put it pretty well in a youtube video when he was at Virginia Tech.

Couldn't have said it better myself

The number doesn't matter... as long as those that want to can.

as the gangster poet Notorious BIG once said "Got the gat in my knapsack, lounging black, on my sidekick, rocking fly kicks"

Which brings me to my next point, if everyone is fearing for their lives so much in a college campus setting, why not carry your handgun in a backpack? No one can tell, and if the argument for carrying a gun because "i like my life, or my nuts intact" or whatever laughable sputter you tell an anti, why not protect yourself where mass murders have occurred before, regardless of the law?

Last edited:

wrightme

as the gangster poet Notorious BIG once said "Got the gat in my knapsack, lounging black, on my sidekick, rocking fly kicks"

Which brings me to my next point, if everyone is fearing for their lives so much in a college campus setting, why not carry your handgun in a backpack? No one can tell, and if the argument for carrying a gun because "i like my life, or my nuts intact" or whatever laughable sputter you tell an anti, why not protect yourself where mass murders have occurred before, regardless of the law?

Because, contrary to what you seem to think about citizens with firearms, most of us here are NOT about breaking the law, however much we may disagree with it. Are you?

Well, well, well. I guess I will not need to ignore this troll at all. Bye.

Last edited:

Jay Gatz

Most students are between 18 and 22 correct? Now in the US all males 18-25 are required to register for selective services. So what you're telling me is that in the event of a large war and subsequent draft, half of the people in that age bracket wouldn't be mature enough to fight?

Those who chose to carry for their own defense have also chosen to practice with their weapons and undergo training for a defense situation. A gun is only a tool and like any other tool can be dangerous in clueless hands, or a lifesaver in the hands of someone willing to take the time to learn to use it properly.

karolynrgalarza

What is the point of this discussion?
Why do GMU student feel it so necessary to carry a concealed weapon?
If this was such an issue why don't GMU student just open carry. Wouldn't open carrying be proactive to school violence and act as a deterrent to a school shooting? Rather than concealed carrying which would be reactive to the situation and would cause even more chaos and probably lead to more causalities..When people are under stressful situations, such as a school shooting, it is exponentially harder to hit your target with a bullet. Most students only have experience standing still, under zero stress, shooting a motionless paper target. This wouldn't be the case in a real life scenario...
Lets leave it to the professionals...
GMU students for cell phones!!

How does concealed carry cause more casualities?
What can cell phones do to protect you from getting shot?
Pushing 911 aint gonna make the police get there in a matter of seconds before the shooter takes out a couple students. Not to mention they get called to the wrong building or floor. Or how about they have to climb 6 flights of stairs or take the elevator? MANY people can get shot within a matter of seconds, especially if the perp has an automatic weapon...But hey, as long as its not you, right?

Last edited: