Thread: Car carry question

Car carry question

Hello I am new to the forum and oc. I have read the rcw but still have a couple of questions. I am currently waiting for my cpl in the mail but in the mean time I would still like to carry. I currently carry in my car when going fishing (loaded and concealed because of the exception). My question is what is the legal way to drive in my car? I know it has to be unloaded but do I have to lock the pistol up in a case even if it is unloaded? Does the ammo need to be stored in a separate compartment or locked? Any answers with citations would greatly be appreciated.

Exclamation Read the FAQs

The first thread (a sticky) answers most all of your questions. Did you read it?

CLICK HERE

Without a CPL and absent of going fishing, your firearm must be unloaded in the car. There are no definitions of that, therefore you do not need to put it in the glove box, etc...

Or as we like to point out...

You can remove the magazine and round from the chamber and duck tape the magazine to the grip and ducktape the gun to your forehead and drive if you would like. It is legal.

And Welcome to OCDO!

Quote Originally Posted by lakewood226 View Post
    Hello I am new to the forum and oc. I have read the rcw but still have a couple of questions. I am currently waiting for my cpl in the mail but in the mean time I would still like to carry. I currently carry in my car when going fishing (loaded and concealed because of the exception). My question is what is the legal way to drive in my car? I know it has to be unloaded but do I have to lock the pistol up in a case even if it is unloaded? Does the ammo need to be stored in a separate compartment or locked? Any answers with citations would greatly be appreciated.
    Last edited by gogodawgs; 07-12-2010 at 04:15 PM.
    Live Free or Die!

Duct tape: a tape originally designed for heating and cooling ducts in industrial and commercial buildings

Duck tape: Really funny prank to play on waddling creatures....

Sorry I had to GoGo..

And welcome to the forum lakewood... Do I smell another Lakewood Meet and Greet coming on???
    Last edited by devildoc5; 07-12-2010 at 08:41 PM.

69Charger
    Welcome here and feel free to ask away.
    We have a greet and meet at the Dennys on 108th and Pacific ave here in Tacoma, coming up THIS SATURDAY at 10 am. Come on in, have a seat, and enjoy.
    Always good to see you at a greet and meet.
    Dave
    Last edited by 69Charger; 07-12-2010 at 08:57 PM.

Or Duck tape....

Attachment 3235
    Quote Originally Posted by devildoc5 View Post
    Duct tape: a tape originally designed for heating and cooling ducts in industrial and commercial buildings

Duck tape: Really funny prank to play on waddling creatures....

Sorry I had to GoGo..

And welcome to the forum lakewood... Do I smell another Lakewood Meet and Greet coming on???
    Live Free or Die!

Cool Welcome to the forum!

Before I received my CPL, I kept it in the holster locked back with the mag between my legs. I actually left the slife locked back walking around in my serpa. I'm cool like that sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLt
    Also note that the unloaded handgun may be anywhere in the vehicle EXCEPT concealed on the person - that would still violate 9.41.050(1)(a) whether the gun is unloaded or not.
    As I read the RCW's concerning RCW 9.41.050 is exempted in RCW 9.41.060 concerning concealed carry be it in our out of a car under the conditions listed in RCW 9.41.060
    RCW 9.41.050 Carrying firearms.
    (2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.
    RCW 9.41.060 Exceptions to restrictions on carrying firearms.

The provisions of RCW 9.41.050 shall not apply to:
    (8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;

(I only posted (8) as it is being referred to in this thread, see the RCW for full exceptions)
    Last edited by BigDave; 07-13-2010 at 12:36 AM.

(8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;

I wonder if I could getaway with telling the officer, "But I have shorts and hiking boots on! Hiking is a legitimate outdoor activity"! I wonder how well that one would fly? I imagine my next official words would be "but your honor"!

Quote Originally Posted by ridgerunner98570 View Post

I wonder if I could getaway with telling the officer, "But I have shorts and hiking boots on! Hiking is a legitimate outdoor activity"! I wonder how well that one would fly? I imagine my next official words would be "but your honor"!
    As long as your on your way to an area that has hiking trails......

Quote Originally Posted by ridgerunner98570 View Post

ridgerunner I am sure you would be right if you were in the McDonald's Playground and not letting the other kids play

The RCW is pretty clear here and if you are unable to understand it, well sobeit.

Quote Originally Posted by lakewood226 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    I thought that because of the OP's statement in red above, that his question in green was concerning all other times other than the exceptions. In which case, given those assumptions, my answer would be correct.
    NavyLT I concur, you are correct in your reply as to carrying other then traveling to or from an outdoor activity.
    I responded to the entire post in general and must admit I did not address the stated question (in green) Thanks for catching that.

Dave

Thank you everyone for the replies and answering my question. I grew up in the PRC (peoples republic of commiefornia), glad I got out of their. As for the meet on sat I plan on going, I just might be a little stinky. I plan on going crabbing early in the morning.

Smile

(OT: Actually there is a "duct tape" with the brand name of "Duck Tape.")

http://tijil.org/duck-tape-by-will-bullas.jpg

(Sorry.)
    No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: The officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets. -- Edward Abbey

• • • Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Faciémus!• • •

Quote Originally Posted by Tomas View Post
    (OT: Actually there is a "duct tape" with the brand name of "Duck Tape.")

http://tijil.org/duck-tape-by-will-bullas.jpg

(Sorry.)
    isnt that AFLAC tape though????