• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Car carry question

lakewood226

Hello I am new to the forum and oc. I have read the rcw but still have a couple of questions. I am currently waiting for my cpl in the mail but in the mean time I would still like to carry. I currently carry in my car when going fishing (loaded and concealed because of the exception). My question is what is the legal way to drive in my car? I know it has to be unloaded but do I have to lock the pistol up in a case even if it is unloaded? Does the ammo need to be stored in a separate compartment or locked? Any answers with citations would greatly be appreciated.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Read the FAQs

The first thread (a sticky) answers most all of your questions. Did you read it?

CLICK HERE

Without a CPL and absent of going fishing, your firearm must be unloaded in the car. There are no definitions of that, therefore you do not need to put it in the glove box, etc...

Or as we like to point out...

You can remove the magazine and round from the chamber and duck tape the magazine to the grip and ducktape the gun to your forehead and drive if you would like. It is legal.

And Welcome to OCDO!

Hello I am new to the forum and oc. I have read the rcw but still have a couple of questions. I am currently waiting for my cpl in the mail but in the mean time I would still like to carry. I currently carry in my car when going fishing (loaded and concealed because of the exception). My question is what is the legal way to drive in my car? I know it has to be unloaded but do I have to lock the pistol up in a case even if it is unloaded? Does the ammo need to be stored in a separate compartment or locked? Any answers with citations would greatly be appreciated.

Last edited:

devildoc5

Duct tape: a tape originally designed for heating and cooling ducts in industrial and commercial buildings

Duck tape: Really funny prank to play on waddling creatures....

Sorry I had to GoGo.. :)

And welcome to the forum lakewood... Do I smell another Lakewood Meet and Greet coming on??? :)

Last edited:

69Charger

Welcome here and feel free to ask away.
We have a greet and meet at the Dennys on 108th and Pacific ave here in Tacoma, coming up THIS SATURDAY at 10 am. Come on in, have a seat, and enjoy.
Always good to see you at a greet and meet. :)
Dave

Last edited:

Aryk45XD

Welcome to the forum!

Before I received my CPL, I kept it in the holster locked back with the mag between my legs. I actually left the slife locked back walking around in my serpa. I'm cool like that sometimes.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
NavyLt said:
Also note that the unloaded handgun may be anywhere in the vehicle EXCEPT concealed on the person - that would still violate 9.41.050(1)(a) whether the gun is unloaded or not.

As I read the RCW's concerning RCW 9.41.050 is exempted in RCW 9.41.060 concerning concealed carry be it in our out of a car under the conditions listed in RCW 9.41.060
RCW 9.41.050 Carrying firearms.
(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.
RCW 9.41.060 Exceptions to restrictions on carrying firearms.

The provisions of RCW 9.41.050 shall not apply to:
(8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;

(I only posted (8) as it is being referred to in this thread, see the RCW for full exceptions)

Last edited:

ridgerunner98570

(8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;

I wonder if I could getaway with telling the officer, "But I have shorts and hiking boots on! Hiking is a legitimate outdoor activity"! I wonder how well that one would fly? I imagine my next official words would be "but your honor"!

BigDave

Opt-Out Members

I wonder if I could getaway with telling the officer, "But I have shorts and hiking boots on! Hiking is a legitimate outdoor activity"! I wonder how well that one would fly? I imagine my next official words would be "but your honor"!

ridgerunner I am sure you would be right if you were in the McDonald's Playground and not letting the other kids play:rolleyes:

The RCW is pretty clear here and if you are unable to understand it, well sobeit.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members

I thought that because of the OP's statement in red above, that his question in green was concerning all other times other than the exceptions. In which case, given those assumptions, my answer would be correct.

NavyLT I concur, you are correct in your reply as to carrying other then traveling to or from an outdoor activity.
I responded to the entire post in general and must admit I did not address the stated question (in green) Thanks for catching that.

Dave

lakewood226

Thank you everyone for the replies and answering my question. I grew up in the PRC (peoples republic of commiefornia), glad I got out of their. As for the meet on sat I plan on going, I just might be a little stinky. I plan on going crabbing early in the morning.