Thread: Workplace shooting in New Mexico - 6 people dead

Workplace shooting in New Mexico - 6 people dead

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/07/12/...ex.html?hpt=T1

(CNN) -- New Mexico authorities said a former employee shot and killed five people at a business Monday in Albuquerque before turning the gun on himself.

Police said officers responded to a 911 call at 9:26 a.m. (11:26 a.m. ET) that multiple shots had been fired. When officers entered the building, they found a total of 10 people shot -- four were dead, including a man believed to be the shooter, officials said. Two have since died as a result of gunshot wounds; two are in stable condition and two others are receiving emergency medical attention, police said.

"We believe this incident to be a domestic-violence workplace situation," Albuquerque Police Chief Ray Schultz said.

"One of the victims -- a current employee at Emcore Corp -- is believed to be the wife or girlfriend of the shooter," Schultz said. Police officials have since corrected earlier reports identifying the shooter as a female.

Police also said that they have located the children of the offender and one of his victims. Schultz would only say that the children are "OK."

"We've got the neighborhood secured," Schultz said. Because of the large size of the Emcore facility, authorities were sweeping the area a second time. "We're looking under every desk, every closet, any place anyone could be concealed," Schultz told reporters.

Police are continuing the investigation at a community center near Emcore Company facility where some 85 employees who were inside the building at the time of the shooting are being interviewed before being released.

A website for the Emcore Corporation describes its business as fiber optics and solar power technology.

yes

I feel for the victims survivors. i would be willing to bet they have a no guns allowed policy for the employees.

And this company probably has a "no weapons" policy, too. Fat lot of good it did for the victims. I wonder when enterprising lawyers are going to start suing these companies, on behalf of victims, for creating an expectation of "safety" then failing to follow through.

If an owner or manager has a "no guns" policy, then they should have metal detectors to actually perform the duty they've created for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    And this company probably has a "no weapons" policy, too. Fat lot of good it did for the victims. I wonder when enterprising lawyers are going to start suing these companies, on behalf of victims, for creating an expectation of "safety" then failing to follow through.

If an owner or manager has a "no guns" policy, then they should have metal detectors to actually perform the duty they've created for themselves.
    I absolutely agree. I think it should be a law that any place that has "no weapons" policy must have positive means of enforcing it, i.e. metal detectors + armed security. I respect private property rights and I have no problem with "no weapons" policy as long as it's not based on honor system. You know, these murderers aren't great with honor system at all..

Also note, that honor system is NEVER in effect in places where such policy actually has serious safety considerations. Airports, secure govt facilities, courts, etc. You don't see a little "no guns" sticker in the airport, you go through full security. While not 100% foolproof, it at least provides positive means of security, unlike a sticker on the glass door.

The number killed has dropped from 5 to 2, plus the shooter.

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...-albuquerque/1

Update at 5:15 p.m. ET: Saying that officers had miscounted, Albuquerque Police Chief Ray Schultz now says only three people, including the gunman, were killed, the AP is reporting.

Update at 5:43 p.m. ET: Schultz explained that officers had seen people down and believed they were dead, then continued into the building to search for the gunman. Officers who arrived later determined that several victims were alive. And four people are being treated for wounds at University of New Mexico hospital.

Adding to the confusion, Schultz added, one victim who died at the hospital was reported as two deaths.

The shooting involved the 37-year-girlfriend of the gunman. No names so far for the dead and wounded.

Emcore makes fiber optics and solar photovoltaic components.

(Updated by Michael Winter)

And yet another article asks the same unanswered question:

"Gun control kills again. Will the lesson be learned this time?"

Murderer ingores rules; people die in ABQ

TFred

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaingun81 View Post
    I have no problem with "no weapons" policy as long as it's not based on honor system. You know, these murderers aren't great with honor system at all

There is no honor amongst thieves.....or murders.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    "Gun control kills again. Will the lesson be learned this time?"
    Of course not!!!

Angry Counting fail

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    Saying that officers had miscounted, Albuquerque Police Chief Ray Schultz now says only three people, including the gunman, were killed
    Are you serious? MISCOUNTED THE BODIES, SHERIFF, MY BAD. FORGOT I'D ALREADY COUNTED THEM TWO.

It's not like he needed two hands to count on.
    Last edited by simmonsjoe; 07-13-2010 at 01:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    There is no honor amongst thieves.....or murders.
    So where does this leave the elected officials?

Blame the Criminal instead of those who enable them?

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    Fat lot of good it did for the victims. I wonder when enterprising lawyers are going to start suing these companies, on behalf of victims, for creating an expectation of "safety" then failing to follow through.
    Anyone who believes that helplessness creates an expectation of safety is going to be laughed off the stand. But expect the Brady's to hire them straight away...

Quote Originally Posted by Chaingun81 View Post
    "We've got the neighborhood secured," Schultz said.
    Yeah, well after the shooter dispatched his victems and turned his gun on himself. One of the reasons I carry is to help secure the situation before a shooter would dispatch any victims, as there is no such thing as a cop in every workplace.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Nothing like Warren vs DC to make you feel all warm and fuzzy.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Corporations = BAD for self preservation in a shooting situation.

It's a sad state of affairs. All you can hope for in that situation is that God is looking out for you, and that you can safely escape. "Security" is an $8 / hr guy at an electronic badge portal with a whistle and a hat.

I have friends - current and former employees of this company at the center of all this. I can tell you all - Emcore is a breeding ground for disgruntled workers with their hire / fire policies and horrible workplace politics. Mix that with a bad domestic situation, and it is a recipe for exactly what the nation just saw. Folks, it's not just at the post office anymore - workplace shootings will continue in these environments, guaranteed.

The good thing is that the police are sure to arrive within minutes.

I work for another corporation in the Abq metro area that forbids firearms on the property. (I would guess 99% of companies are like this) Yes - even your vehicle, when parked on company property, is included. Most sane people will not bring a gun to work & run the risk of losing a great job over a "point" to be made, so we're forced to comply, by our own merit - to company policy that forbids the ability to protect yourself and even those you work with. Yes, "they" are SERIOUS about preventing workplace violence, and go through impressive measures to protect it's employees. However, when someone shows up that these rules don't apply to - all bets are off. You gotta hope, again, that the man upstairs is looking out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by linc View Post
    However, when someone shows up that these rules don't apply to - all bets are off. You gotta hope, again, that the man upstairs is looking out for you.

The only "man upstairs" I put my personal safety in is Mr. Mossberg. But most of the time, Mr. Para is right by my side, so hopefully I won't need to call on the "man upstairs"...

Forgive me if your State law is different but here in Colorado..

"that forbids firearms on the property. (I would guess 99% of companies are like this) Yes - even your vehicle, when parked on company property, is included. Most sane people will not bring a gun to work & run the risk of losing a great job.."

May you conceal your firearm on your person while in the work place? Concealing on your person guarantees your pistol will not be discovered. You will not be searched at the work place. If anyone ever asked you if you have a firearm- refuse to answer on principle. Remember your right to be secure in your person and effects. Private Property rights trump any concealed permit, of course, so you will never refuse to leave the property. Make it a non-issue.

Any this is why I carry 24/7... friggin nut jobs.

In those instances that workplaces do not allow weapons, my favorite saying is, Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
    ‘‘Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.’’ Thomas Jefferson

McX
    i am not saying it's right, but i am making an observation; i have seen first hand how evil, deceptive. and cunning co workers can be. i have seen how backstabbing, greedy, and malicious corporations can be. with few laws in place to protect, or equalize the effect all of these entities have on a decent individual. it is wrong to take the law into your own hands, to be judge and jury, but these shootings do illustrate the frustration some have of being victims repeatedly in the work place, and show the hide behind your desk mentality of " i didn't do it", may ultimately come back to haunt them.

Quote Originally Posted by KansasMustang View Post
    In those instances that workplaces do not allow weapons, my favorite saying is, Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
    I agree 110% SGM. Or former SGM. Whichever, thanks for your service.
    It's only after you've lost everything that you're free to do anything

Quote Originally Posted by KansasMustang View Post
    Can't agree more, if i have a choice i will avoid the places that don't allow me to protect myself. If I have no choice, I wont say if I ignore their request or not but I feel saver if i do.
    Last edited by zack991; 07-30-2010 at 12:06 PM.