• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Please Contact Politicians

eastmeyers

Here is a list of everyone running on the August 3rd primary (on the State side, this does not include, Villages, Townships, Cities, or County Canaanites, if you know of a site which lists all of these please post)

http://miboecfr.nictusa.com/election/candlist/10PRI/10PRI_CL.HTM

Here is how you find your district.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/House_state_16750_7.pdf

This site was given by Savage.Detroit, it is an awesome link, it lets you input your info (DL number, or other personal info) and you can see a sample ballot of the ballot YOU will be filling out at your polling place, this shows all of your candidates, again thanks Savage, AWESOME link! https://webapps.sos.state.mi.us/mivote/

Now here is the plan fellow OCers. We need to email or contact somehow all of these people and ask them their stance on OC and what they plan to do once in office. Also I suggest you ask each of them if they would support repealing all of Michigan's Pistol Free Zones (Criminal Empowerment Zones), also if they support eliminating firearm registration, and if they support extending personal property laws to your vehicle (making OC legal in a vehicle without a CPL).

If one of our more legal savy members whom is also very articulate could make a template and post it to this thread, so we could all just copy, past, sign and email letters to all of these people that would be awesome! (Dr. Todd maybe if you have the time please help)

Any ideas, suggestions, and other links would be awesome!

I decided to put this up for our members that don't know what they can/should do to get things done. Personally I have already emailed my current rep and she is VERY ANTI and I can't wait to vote her out!

Last edited:

Michigander

While I agree with bitching at politicians, and have been doing so by phone, email and regular mail since I was in my early teens, I think it would be much more useful for MOC to contact politicians and issue lists of politicians in Michigan who are pro OC and pro gun rights in general.

PLEASE make this an official MOC act this November. It's the natural place of an organization of activists. :)

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
While I agree with bitching at politicians, and have been doing so by phone, email and regular mail since I was in my early teens, I think it would be much more useful for MOC to contact politicians and issue lists of politicians in Michigan who are pro OC and pro gun rights in general.

PLEASE make this an official MOC act this November. It's the natural place of an organization of activists. :)

Michigander,
Although I think that MOC should send an official "questionnaire" to all those running on the November ballot, I also see a huge benefit to have members at OCDO send out emails/letters and perhaps make a few phone calls. The more people who question the candidates on the SPECIFIC issues that Eastmeyers mentioned, the clearer information that we get in return to issues that are categorically distinct to OCers.

For example, I recently emailed Mike Cox as to his opinion regarding the points that Eastmeyers raised. However, I have not received anything in response and my guess is that I won't get a response from him... (yes, I will follow up with a letter after I give him, or his campaign, some time to respond)... my fear at this point: he talks the talk but the walk... well... he IS a politician. (OK, I guess by definition all people running in the 2 party primaries are "politicians").

Don't get me wrong... I am sure that in most regards Mike Cox may be an OK candidate for "firearm owners". But I believe OCers need representation that is better than someone who speaks as if he/she is pro-2A but yet doesn't support many of the things members here want to see changed. Especially after writing an Amicus Brief in support of 2A incorporation in the McDonald case, I think it is odd that Mr Cox has ignored questions that others have posted on his blog concerning his SPECIFIC 2A views nor has he answered my questions. However, I digress...

Back OT, I think that it would probably be good to have a template that may be used to contact the candidates... although it would be better, imho, to have members write their own; "boiler-plate" emails and letters tend to go in the round file next to the candidates' desks.
I will put something together for those who feel they need it but feel free to modify it or even write your own. I'll add something here tomorrow if people would like something that they could copy and perhaps modify to their particular situation.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Nicely done!

The link doesn't seem to list County offices and below. County Sheriff would be an important one.
You can check that you are registered and get a personalized ballot here: https://webapps.sos.state.mi.us/mivote/

Looks like I went unopposed for precinct delegate. :)

Congrats! Way to go.... I like the way you think Sir - if you can't fix it from the outside jump inside & start chipping away at the problems.

eastmeyers

This is the letter I have sent

To Whom it may concern,

This letter is going to everyone I can contact in the election campaigns for:
Mike Bouchard
Mike Cox
Tom George
Pete Hoekstra
Rick Snyder
Don Volaric
James M. Hardin
Michael A. Peters
Robert A. Vaughan
Michelangelo Fortuna III
Ivan King
Richard Parisi

These are the candidates to whom are on my ballot.

I will be emailing those of you whom I can find email address for, I will be sending snail mail (paper letter via the USPS) to the others.

This letter is to find out whom of you I will be voting for in the primary election. I will be posting this letter along with all responses in this thread http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...ct-Politicians&p=1306243&posted=1#post1306243 of opencarry.org. I have started the thread listed. I have a few direct questions.

1. Do you support the removal of Michigan's Pistol Free Zones? These zones are outlined in MCL 750.234d, and MCL 28.425o (for conceal carry with a Concealed Pistol License). I personally believe that Michigan Pistol Free Zones should be removed as they are truly only Criminal Empowerment Zones, ONLY law abiding citizens obey the law. When it is illegal for citizens to carry a firearm into a certain area only criminals will have firearms in these places, leaving the law abiding citizens defenseless against these criminals and their illegal weapons. Most mass shootings happen in these "so called" Pistol Free Zones, and I believe that this state would be much safer if these zones were eliminated, please see this article http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2010...tiple-victim-public-shootings-europe/#content

2. Do you support eliminating firearm registration?

3. Do you support extending personal property rights to vehicles? In Michigan one may not carry a loaded firearm in ones vehicle (unless it is a pistol and that person is a CPL holder). In Michigan you can not have a rifle/shoot gun rack with a rifle or shoot gun in it, because a vehicle is not considered ones personal property (in the same way ones home is). This is quite a hassle for those citizens whom carry a pistol which do not have a CPL, because they must store their pistol in their trunk with their ammunition separated in the trunk, so every time they get in and out of their vehicle they must go to their trunk load/unload their firearm in public. This makes them unnecessary handle said firearm and also leaves them no self defence while in their vehicle (against car-jackers is one scenario). Also not having ones vehicle extended as part of their personal property leaves them open to be in violation of their employers, and educators, rules of conduct. As it currently stands an employer (and universities/colleges) can tell employees/students they can not have stored firearms in their vehicles, or they are subject to termination and expulsion. Meaning even CPL holders are not able to have their rights of self defence on their way to and from work and school.

On Monday the 28th of June 2010 shortly before the celebration of Independence Day, the Supreme Court Of The United States ruled that the second amendment applies to the states and the citizens of these great United States. This ruling means that law abiding citizens within this country have the right to keep and bear arms. I hope with your support we can work together to change these laws starting on day one of your swearing in of public office.

I know that this letter may not reach many of its intended recipients but will instead reach someone on their behalf. I just ask that instead of simply listing campaign statements of the candidate that you would please try to find specific answers to the questions that I have asked. I have taken time to do my research and I only ask for the same courtesy be given to me on these matters. Thank you so much for your time!

Sincerely,
Eastmeyers

"Then said he to them, But now he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his sack: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
Luke 22:36
God Bless All

eastmeyers

This is the responce I got from Michael A Peters

Thank you for contacting me. Your questions are very similar to the questions asked by the NRA. In place of answering your three questions below. I have attached the survey from the NRA and my answers. I believe you will find it very interesting. Thank you for your consideration.

Michael A Peters.

www.peters2010.com

(I had to post a new post to this thread with the five pages from Mr. Peters, please see...)

Here is my responce back:

Thank you so much for your quick reply! I hope that I get responses from James M. Harden, and Robert A. Vaughan soon. I believe it is safe to say after reading your NRA response form that you do not have my vote. I will be posting this email exchange on opencarry.org along with the pdf file. Again thank you for your time, I do hope that one of the other candidates are more concerned about our second amendment rights and win the seat for State Senate.

Best Regards,
eastmeyers

Last edited:

eastmeyers

Thank you for contacting me. Your questions are very similar to the questions asked by the NRA. In place of answering your three questions below. I have attached the survey from the NRA and my answers. I believe you will find it very interesting. Thank you for your consideration.

Michael A Peters.

www.peters2010.com

(I had to post a new post to this thread with the five pages from Mr. Peters, please see...)

Here is my responce back:

Thank you so much for your quick reply! I hope that I get responses from James M. Harden, and Robert A. Vaughan soon. I believe it is safe to say after reading your NRA response form that you do not have my vote. I will be posting this email exchange on opencarry.org along with the pdf file. Again thank you for your time, I do hope that one of the other candidates are more concerned about our second amendment rights and win the seat for State Senate.

Best Regards,
eastmeyers

page1.jpg

page2.jpg

page3.jpg

page4.jpg