Thread: voice recorder

voice recorder

whats a good inexpensive voice recorder!

sony or olympus brand. Make sure it has USB capability of hooking up to computer. Some of the less expensive ones do not hook up to the PC. Decent ones I think are around $50

thank you boyscout! nice talking to you yesterday. talk to you soon

No problem. It was great meeting you guys too!

Accomplished Advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout399 View Post
    No problem. It was great meeting you guys too!
    Sony ICDUX-71, I have the ICDUX-81 though, it's 2 gigs instead of 1. No annoying cables seeing as it's got the USB hookup attached.

What is the law on using voice recorder? Do I have to tell Officer it is turned on? Also if forced to give it to to police it's going be oops so sorry i dropped it. No good now.

you can get some nice, and relatively cheap, at Walmart...Got one there last year to record my husband yelling so he could hear himself, and to record professors' lectures...I think it was RCR or something, was digital, and has USB...Its really clear and it makes no noise like a tape recorder.
    "I ask, Who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people, except a few public officers."
    ‘‘To disarm the people; that it was the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

Quote Originally Posted by jonjon_jon View Post
    What is the law on using voice recorder? Do I have to tell Officer it is turned on? Also if forced to give it to to police it's going be oops so sorry i dropped it. No good now.
    Depends on what state you live in...Here in VA only one person has to consent to the recording, and that person can be the person recording.

According to this site: http://www.fairdebtforconsumers.com/...Summaries.html Maine is listed under the one person consent law (same as VA).

Here is another site that gives the exact law: http://www.rcfp.org/taping/states/maine.html

Here is the offical law: http://www.mainelegislature.org/legi...e15sec710.html
    Last edited by karolynrgalarza; 07-14-2010 at 01:05 PM.
    "I ask, Who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people, except a few public officers."
    ‘‘To disarm the people; that it was the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

Accomplished Advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by jonjon_jon View Post
    yup, 1 person has to consent, ie you know that your recording therefore one party is consenting. And if the LEO destroys it even by "accident" would constitute some nice repercussions in a court of law.

On a related topic, we're putting together a "police stop cheat sheet". Recording devices are going to be a part of it. Any suggestions for what to include? I'm picturing something you can print, laminate, and keep in your wallet behind your ID, so it has to be concise.