• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Holster suggestions for pistol with flashlight?

.45ACPaddy

I recently acquired an Insight M3 flashlight and I love the fit on my Glock 19. Any suggestions for holsters that will fit my Glock 19 with the flashlight? Initially I'm thinking Blackhawk! or BladeTech. Any and all other feedback is appreciated, as long as it's constructive! :D

insightx3.jpg

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
My Sig has a rail and I have the TLR-1 light for the firearm. There are holsters that accommodate the light (Blackhawk in leather). However, I do not see a need to carry my firearm with the light. I work and live during the days and sleep at night. I leave the light on my nightstand and often put it on the light when I go to bed. I have practiced with the light a few times and for the most part that is enough. I also have a short shot gun in the bedroom closet and a Surefire on the nightstand as well.

So unless you think you are going to actually use a light with your firearm you are adding weight and bulk unnecessarily. At least that is my opinion.

I recently acquired an Insight M3 flashlight and I love the fit on my Glock 19. Any suggestions for holsters that will fit my Glock 19 with the flashlight? Initially I'm thinking Blackhawk! or BladeTech. Any and all other feedback is appreciated, as long as it's constructive! :D

View attachment 3240

Last edited:

oldkim

Yes, there are lots of reason not to carry a light but...

In the scheme of things it can also be used as a "weapon - less lethal option" to blind and confuse an assailant.

As we all want and think things will go bad during the day - reality is that most BG's like to use the dark to their advantage.

A flashlight or weapon's light puts a good advantage for you. Yes, it is bulkier and holster's can be a bit difficult and less of a selection to choose but that could be said about large frame firearms. In the sense of OC it's all about comfort since you don't have to worry about it being concealed.

Even at semi or even day light a good flashlight with greater than 60-90+ lumens can blind for a good 1-2 minutes or longer - this times gives you all the advantage to take control of the situation. If you doubt this - try it. Have a friend shine a good quality flashlight in your eyes (in full daylight). See if you can see...

So, it boils down to preference. We all carry different items or even if they're the same - it's different styles/colors, sizes, etc.

Also some are combo units (light and laser). Again it can be a great deterrent. Just depends on the situation.

I always recommend a flashlight be it mounted or stand alone with your carry.

antispam540

I've always been taught to hold the light away from your body, in case the BG aims for it. That's kind of hard to do if the light's attached to your firearm, so I keep my tac lite on the nightstand next to my pistol.

Beretta92FSLady

The difficult thing with flashlights that attach to sidearms is that when you are pointing it at someone to establish who they are, and what they are doing in your home or whatever is that you are pointing the firearm, potentially, at friendly people, like your kids, family, or LEO's.

I am not trying to talk you out of anything. Just keep your finger off the trigger, but we all know that.

oldkim

.45ACPaddy

Here's some - I'm not a Glock guy so don't know if the Glock 19 compact will fit the Glock 17/22 holster.

Safariland made for Glock 17/22 $129
http://www.qmuniforms.com/Product/safariland-sls-holster-for-guns-with-m3-light/P3437/
$134
http://www.qmuniforms.com/Product/safariland-6005-tactical-holster-with-m3-light/P3104/

Uncle Mikes made for Glock 17/22 $104
http://www.qmuniforms.com/Product/uncle-mike's-evo3-with-light-bearing-modholster/P3382/

The holster will be just a little long for my gun, the only difference between the 17 and 19 is the 19 is a compact, about a half inch shorter slide and grip. It'll work in a Glock 17 holster though.

Glocked and Loaded

Even at semi or even day light a good flashlight with greater than 60-90+ lumens can blind for a good 1-2 minutes or longer - this times gives you all the advantage to take control of the situation. If you doubt this - try it. Have a friend shine a good quality flashlight in your eyes (in full daylight). See if you can see...

I always carry my Surefire E2D Led Defender (200 lumen), Even at night if somebody shines it directly to my eyes I can still see who is shining it at me within a few seconds even with the light still in my face.

But still a few seconds is enough to eliminate the threat.

As far as on topic goes, Let us know what you get and how well it works for you. I was always wondering if its comfortable to carry with a light.

Last edited:

massivedesign

Part of my EDC is a flashlight in my back pocket. I use it way too often for it to be mounted to my pistol. That, combined with the fact that I have been trained with using the flashlight in the weak hand, supporting the strong hand under the pistol, it's just natural for me.

luke411

Check out Don Hume Holsters

They make a couple of models for carrying with a light mounted on your pistol. I have one for all of my full size pistols, and use them for carrying when I'm out hiking/camping, or when I know I'm gonna be out and about at night.

I like them because they are designed in such a way that the pistol does not protrude too far out from your hip when carrying, they are really close in design to a pancake holster, and pulls the butt of the pistol in nice and close. It is an extremely comfortable holster to wear all day. I have used it several times on long hikes and overnight trips and it is simply amazing.

http://www.donhume.com/index.php?ma...ducts_id=442&zenid=op9c2h098l8mr0unrcu8uhok55

http://www.donhume.com/index.php?ma...oducts_id=25&zenid=op9c2h098l8mr0unrcu8uhok55

This is the one I have, apparently it has been discontinued but from reading the descriptionof the Agent 711TAC on their website it sounds like this may be the replacement for the one I have.

220hume1.jpg

220hume2.jpg

One other thing about don hume. Great company to deal with, fast turn around time, and their quality is amazing.

Hope that helps..

Metal_Monkey

To me the flashlight thing on a pistol is a hollywood thing. However I wouldn't trade the surefire on the wifes 500 any day. As far as finding a holster that will fit:

http://www.sidearmor.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=16
http://www.zahal.org/products/fobus-tactical-holster-for-glock-19-em19
http://www.themalabarfront.com/prod...=1574&osCsid=473e79c9393e273b0f99f7a8294c6d0e

Personally......I would try to get a good custom leather one made to fit it. That way it fits EXACTLY like you want. There are guys on here that can do it. I forget the link, but I'm sure someone will gladly link you to it.