• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Don't Call the Cops - Oakland PD will not respond to reports of certain crimes.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loca...s-in-Oakland-Dont-Call-the-Cops-98266509.html

Oakland police chief is making some dire claims about what his force will and will not respond to if planned layoffs happen tonight at midnight.

Chief Anthony Batts listed exactly 44 situations that his officers no longer respond to and they include grand theft, burglary, vehicle collision, identity theft and vandalism. He says if you live and Oakland and one of the above happens to you, you need to let police know on-line.

Here's a partial list:

burglary
theft
embezzlement
grand theft
grand theft:dog
identity theft
false information to peace officer
required to register as sex or arson offender
dump waste or offensive matter
discard appliance with lock
loud music
possess forged notes
pass fictitious check
obtain money by false voucher
fraudulent use of access cards
stolen license plate
embezzlement by an employee (over $ 400)
extortion
attempted extortion
false personification of other
injure telephone/ power line
interfere with power line
unauthorized cable tv connection
vandalism
administer/expose poison to another's

Batts has only been chief since last October. "I came here to build an organization, not to downsize one," Batts said.

Some 80 officers will be let go at midnight if a last-minute deal is not reached. Negotiations are going on at Oakland City Hall today in the mayor's office. That is about a tenth of the force.

Batts said the 80 officers slated to be laid off - mostly new officers - are "pretty sad and pretty depressed," and those feelings are shared by the Police Department as a whole.

The Oakland City Council voted June 25 to eliminate the positions to help close the city's $32.5 million funding gap. According to the city of Oakland, each of the 776 police officers currently employed at OPD costs around $188,000 per year. Most of the officers who will be affected by the layoffs were on the streets of Oakland when Johannes Mehserle's involuntary manslaughter conviction caused riots last Thursday.

The sticking point in negotiations appears to be job security. The city council asked OPD officers to pay nine percent of their salary toward their pensions, which would save the city about $7.8 million toward a multi-million dollar deficit. The police union agreed, as long as the city could promise no layoffs for three years. No dice, says city council president Jane Brunner.

"We wish we could offer them a three-year no layoff protection we just can't financially.It would be irresponsible of us," Brunner told NBC Bay Area. The city agreed to a one-year moratorium on layoffs, but it is not enough for the union.

The problem is that in the last five years, the police budget -- along with the fire department budget -- have amount to 75 percent of the general fund. After years of largely sparing those departments the budget ax, now it appears there are few other places to cut.

These are the last hours of negotiation and Brunner is hopeful that the city and police will find some sort middle ground.

"It's been very good conversation and not a whole lot of grandstanding." Brunner said. "There's actually real conversations. Each side understands the problem," she said.

First Published: Jul 12, 2010 1:27 PM PDT

I wonder where the lawful carry of an exposed firearm falls within his "will not enforce" list. Since UOC is not a crime and the Chief is telling his officers not to respond to reports of genuine crime, how could he justify spending resources and time investigating a non-crime?

Thundar

MWAG- Do you really need to ask - we are talking about Oakland

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loca...s-in-Oakland-Dont-Call-the-Cops-98266509.html

I wonder where the lawful carry of an exposed firearm falls within his "will not enforce" list. Since UOC is not a crime and the Chief is telling his officers not to respond to reports of genuine crime, how could he justify spending resources and time investigating a non-crime?

We are talking about Oakland, California, right? MWAG will drop off the response list right after officer needs assistance. In other words, aint gonna happen.

People who want the police to show up will of course learn what language to use on the phone to ensure that the cops still come. Instead of calling and saying "I just got home and my house was robbed." they will say "I just experienced a home invasion and I don't know if the invaders are still here or not."

It will be interesting to see if an armed citizen plays into their decision matrix. "I just got home and my home was broken into, I am armed in case the burglers are still here."

Fallschirjmäger

The police have learned to use phraseology ... "The 80-year old, bedridden woman on oxygen took an ""aggressive posture"" in her bed, so we Tased her."

It's only fair that we should educate ourselves to do the same.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
The question I posed was purely rhetorical- I know that Oakland Police will respond to calls reporting 'man with a gun' regardless of whether it is legal or not.

The question is intended to call the Chief's bluff. I know as well as most here do, that the Oakland Police Chief is playing the part of politician, attempting to frighten his constituents into urging 'law and order' be restored by funding his dwindling department budget. But if he is going to make such statements, I think its fair show people that in spite of his claims, the PD would harass legal, peaceable open carry while allowing real crime to slide.

oc4ever

wild west again

If the chief police makes a public announcement that he is not going to respond to certain crimes in progress, then the courts/ legislature will have no choice but to ease up on restrictive gun policies. The SCOTUS has made it clear you have the right to defend yourself as you go about your daily business.

One could even make a argument, hey I am going to Oakland today, I need a gun to protect myself....

Frankly I think this is just posturing by the Chief. My bet is if you call Oakland PD will show up, maybe just a little slower. They still have over 700 LEO's in that town. $188,000 a year cost per policeman? Wow where do I sign up? No wonder they are broke. I am sure the local gang members would keep certain neighborhoods free of (most) crime for a lot cheaper. Maybe the Chief should look into subcontracting.

jrwizzard

So the neighbor got robbed for his keys coming out of his business yesterday at gunpoint, police didnt come when called. We had about 7 guys out there in his support while he changed the lock to his front door.

Next morning they tried to break into the business, alarm blaring, police was called, they didnt come.

That afternoon he tried to get his car towed to a garage so it could be rekeyed, about 20 guys showed up and scared him and the tow truck driver away. He called the police, they wouldnt come, they stole his car shortly later.

Because I was out there waiting with him when the tow truck driver was there, they are targeting us too now.. Around 18:00 they got on the roof of our warehouse, and started breaking through the skylight. I called, explained what was going on, and all the previous information, they sent a helicopter over and spotlighted our roof.. no other cops came.

Right at midnight, shortly after the fireworks started going off, someone put 5 shots through one of our windows. Luckily no one was hurt. Called the police, no one came.

So we are planning to get shotguns now.. unfortunately everything is closed on the first.. hopefully we will last until the second. If someone has a shotgun I can borrow until I can get my own, I would appreciate it.

I feel like I am in a combat zone again, except this time i dont have my M4.. I am a civilian, if I cant protect myself, then they need to do it.

davidmcbeth

Banned

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
So the neighbor got robbed for his keys coming out of his business yesterday at gunpoint, police didnt come when called. We had about 7 guys out there in his support while he changed the lock to his front door.

Next morning they tried to break into the business, alarm blaring, police was called, they didnt come.

That afternoon he tried to get his car towed to a garage so it could be rekeyed, about 20 guys showed up and scared him and the tow truck driver away. He called the police, they wouldnt come, they stole his car shortly later.

Because I was out there waiting with him when the tow truck driver was there, they are targeting us too now.. Around 18:00 they got on the roof of our warehouse, and started breaking through the skylight. I called, explained what was going on, and all the previous information, they sent a helicopter over and spotlighted our roof.. no other cops came.

Right at midnight, shortly after the fireworks started going off, someone put 5 shots through one of our windows. Luckily no one was hurt. Called the police, no one came.

So we are planning to get shotguns now.. unfortunately everything is closed on the first.. hopefully we will last until the second. If someone has a shotgun I can borrow until I can get my own, I would appreciate it.

I feel like I am in a combat zone again, except this time i dont have my M4.. I am a civilian, if I cant protect myself, then they need to do it.

Very unusual/interesting. Provide a cite please - show FOIA request for police response.

Doubt seriously that anyone here is going to provide a gun to someone they do not know.

With all of that kind of alleged activity, you would have no trouble getting the media involved.

Remains to be seen whether you are just another drive-by posting to a necro thread.