Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: CRIMINAL'S DELIGHT: OAKLAND [CA] COPS WON'T RESPOND TO 'MINOR' CRIMES. H/T Drudge

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193

    CRIMINAL'S DELIGHT: OAKLAND [CA] COPS WON'T RESPOND TO 'MINOR' CRIMES. H/T Drudge

    http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local...-98266509.html

    Quote Originally Posted by Excerpt
    news local-beat
    Suffer These Crimes in Oakland? Don't Call the Cops
    Dozens of layoffs effective at midnight, barring last minute deal
    By LORI PREUITT and KRIS SANCHEZ
    Updated 6:28 AM PDT, Tue, Jul 13, 2010

    Print Share

    Oakland's police chief is making some dire claims about what his force will and will not respond to if planned layoffs happen tonight at midnight.

    Chief Anthony Batts listed exactly 44 situations that his officers no longer respond to and they include grand theft, burglary, vehicle collision, identity theft and vandalism. He says if you live and Oakland and one of the above happens to you, you need to let police know on-line.

    Here's a partial list:

    * burglary
    * theft
    * embezzlement
    * grand theft
    * grand theft:dog
    * identity theft
    * false information to peace officer
    * required to register as sex or arson offender
    * dump waste or offensive matter
    * discard appliance with lock
    * loud music
    * possess forged notes
    * pass fictitious check
    * obtain money by false voucher
    * fraudulent use of access cards
    * stolen license plate
    * embezzlement by an employee (over $ 400)
    * extortion
    * attempted extortion
    * false personification of other
    * injure telephone/ power line
    * interfere with power line
    * unauthorized cable tv connection
    * vandalism
    * administer/expose poison to another's

  2. #2
    Regular Member Thundar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Newport News, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,961

    IN California forum as well.

    This thread is also in CA forum.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

    The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193
    I expect that one to be 'moderated' as a copyright violation, being the entire article rather than an excerpt that our owner/moderators have communicated to me as proper for OCDO.
    Last edited by Doug Huffman; 07-13-2010 at 10:53 AM.

  4. #4
    Regular Member simmonsjoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mattaponi, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    1,664

    Thumbs down

    Pretty sure he doesn't have the option of responding or not. It's his damn job. He is lawfully required to investigate a crime after it has occurred. I absolutely hate when people use scare tactics like this.

  5. #5
    Regular Member Deanimator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Rocky River, OH, U.S.A.
    Posts
    2,086
    Quote Originally Posted by simmonsjoe View Post
    Pretty sure he doesn't have the option of responding or not. It's his damn job. He is lawfully required to investigate a crime after it has occurred. I absolutely hate when people use scare tactics like this.
    Subject to conditions of his employment, he could be fired, if anybody with the power cared.

    Other than that, he's completely immune.

    Police have no legal duty to protect individuals.
    Police have no legal liability when they fail to protect individuals.
    Police have virtually no physical ability to protect individuals.

    Oakland is just one more part of a mass of irrefutable evidence that if you're not willing and able to protect YOURSELF, you're simply not going to get protected AT ALL.

  6. #6
    Regular Member Ruger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
    Posts
    548
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
    I expect that one to be 'moderated' as a copyright violation, being the entire article rather than an excerpt that our owner/moderators have communicated to me as proper for OCDO.
    Actually, that IS an excerpt. There is a lot more to the original article than what has been reproduced here.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    204

    Angry

    What??!!!

    No "man with a gun call"?

    We must be really THAT important to the PD compared with these "small" criminals, huh?

  8. #8
    Regular Member AZkopper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Prescott, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    673
    This is just posturinig on both sides. The fact that the chief is giving a 'list' of calls they won't respond to shows he is trying to scare people in to siding with him against the city.

  9. #9
    Regular Member simmonsjoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mattaponi, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    1,664

    Angry Pay Attention.

    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    Subject to conditions of his employment, he could be fired, if anybody with the power cared.

    Other than that, he's completely immune.

    Police have no legal duty to protect individuals.
    Police have no legal liability when they fail to protect individuals.
    Police have virtually no physical ability to protect individuals.

    Oakland is just one more part of a mass of irrefutable evidence that if you're not willing and able to protect YOURSELF, you're simply not going to get protected AT ALL.
    We aren't talking about protecting individuals. They DO HAVE A LEGAL DUTY TO INVESTIGATE A CRIME AFTER IT HAS OCCURRED.

    Lets stay on topic.
    Last edited by simmonsjoe; 07-14-2010 at 12:54 AM. Reason: Softened my tone.

  10. #10
    Campaign Veteran XD-GEM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    722
    Quote Originally Posted by simmonsjoe View Post
    Wow your thick. Pay attention. We aren't talking about protecting individuals. They DO HAVE A LEGAL DUTY TO INVESTIGAVTE A CRIME AFTER IT HAS OCCURRED.

    STAY ON TOPIC.
    True, but apparently the chief has some leeway in deciding HOW to investigate, and it doesn't have to make sense. Like the old vaudville joke:

    What you doin' on the roof?

    Looking for a quarter I lost.

    Where did you lose it?

    In the basement.

    Why are you looking for it on the roof?

    The light's better.

  11. #11
    Regular Member simmonsjoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mattaponi, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    1,664
    Quote Originally Posted by XD-GEM View Post
    True, but apparently the chief has some leeway in deciding HOW to investigate, and it doesn't have to make sense. Like the old vaudville joke:

    What you doin' on the roof?

    Looking for a quarter I lost.

    Where did you lose it?

    In the basement.

    Why are you looking for it on the roof?

    The light's better.
    Interesting concept... I guess he could choose to do his job so poorly he 'in effect' isn't doing it.

    That reeks so bad if true. It is very childish, not something you expect from a Sheriff.
    Last edited by simmonsjoe; 07-14-2010 at 12:55 AM.

  12. #12
    Regular Member karolynrgalarza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Newport News, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    67

    Why Oakland needs more officers

    "I ask, Who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people, except a few public officers."
    ‘‘To disarm the people; that it was the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

    — George Mason

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •